What is he most effective weapon art?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Hazmatac, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

So, what do you say is the most effective weapon art? Like, if the same guy in different dimensions with the same stats learnt all of the different weapon arts, and all of his selves fought, who would end up being victorious, and why?

2. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

Probably the dimension with the Air Force guy eating a donut while he launches an ICBM.

3. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

...Bladed weapon arts, stick fighting arts, knife fighting arts etc. only

4. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

After that, guns. Then bows/arrows.

5. Instructor_Jon

No superior martial arts only superior martial artist! Pick one, work hard, then work harder. They all lead to the same destination.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

One of the reason i gravitate towards FMA for my weapons training is that there is no cultural bias or loyalty to an ethnic weapon. Yes they have them (barong, kris etc..) but they deal with configuration more than specifics (ie. long and pointy, long and blunt, short and pointy, short and blunt!)

I use tomahawks, shinai, bokken, gladius and all sort sof other wonderful toys out of an FMA framework...and what i cannot stab or beat I shoot

7. Instructor_Jon

Shiver....

8. shootodog

shootodog restless native

uh yeah! what he said!

also FMA framework allows you to identify and utilize improv weapons.

btw what i cannot beat, stab or shoot i generally leave alone. (_8(0)

9. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Well, I have a little more use for the world then that. I'm a little basic granted but even I recognise that there're things to eat, things to have sex with, things to fight and rocks. You just go for the fighting huh? Never even SEEN a rock I bet...

But yes, gained a whole new appreciation for my kitchen after the first few months of FMA.

10. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

There isn't one, really. Once you do a lot of weapons work, you'll find that most of it is the same. Only the emphasis changes. There are only eight basic angles to cut on, thrusts can only go up, down, or straight level, and you can only move in eight basic directions. You can defend in double or single time dependant on the situation and length of the weapon. A human being has four basic openings (left, right, high, low). You either stike first, second, or simultaneous with the opponent. That's it.

I'm a big German longsword advocate. Great system. But there are a lot of systems out there that show a lot of the same stuff with blades. The human body is the same no matter where you go. Four feet of sharp steel is the same no matter where you go. When you do the math, it all adds up the same. Weapon arts tend to differ most when they've been adapted for non-combative purposes (sport, esotericism, etc.).

Best regards,

-Mark

11. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

If it moves hit it
    if it does not move hit it untill it does
    If it still does not move it is a wall

12. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Funny, my Great Dane does just that. He had a very vocal argument with a shovel on the back porch a while back. When the shovel refused to engage, Max nudged it with his nose until it fell over and he then proceeded to bark at it some more. Shovels can be so recalcitrant... good thing my dog keeps them in line. ;)

Best regards,

-Mark

13. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

So I am on a par with your Great Dane. Things are looking up ;]

14. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

This thread is why I hate MA forums.

15. shootodog

shootodog restless native

while holding a weapon!

ok. that's fair. hunting. check.

while holding a weapon? what is it? "come here you! i have a weapon. sex time!"???

check

when holding a weapon?

hmmmm...

yes yes. knife skills and meat hahahahah!

16. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I thought maybe you came here to discuss "350 forms" and "beating 5 guy" threads ;)

17. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Thank you for your responses so far.

18. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

What, you're not a dog person?

Best regards,

-Mark

19. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

I come here to be able to point interested parties in the right direction to learn from decent and appropriate sources, and to enjoy the advice (both give and take). Sometimes I get a chance to offer something of relevance, sometimes I get the opportunity to sit back and just read a well thought out debate. Hell, sometimes I even enjoy the abuse.

BUT I really ain't here to learn what everyone's favourite weapons are or compare ultimate fighting styles. This ain't Bloodsport or Streetfighter EX, chaps. I know a lot of geeks who are into budo, but to turn budo geeky? No thanks.

20. Falcord

Falcord Valued Member

Not really effective, but I wanted to point out I love the weapon work in Aikido.

It's unusual and refreshing to forget completely about parrying and shifting your paradigm towards using your opponent's energy in a weapon conflict.

Again, I wouldn't bet for its effectiveness but it's beautiful to watch and practice.