What is actually wrong with meal replacement shakes?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Timmy Boy, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Hi guys,

So I've been reading online about this meal replacement shake called Huel that supposedly provides everything your body needs if you drink it five times a day (this is probably old news for many of you here).

A lot of reviews I see express reservations about using it over "whole" food sources... but why not?

While my inner cynic tells me that Huel simply sounds too good to be true, the actual reasoning I've seen as to why it's supposedly not as good as eating whole food seems a bit fuzzy. For example:

* "Whole food contains all these other nutrients that shakes often don't provide". Well, this one DOES provide them, or so they claim...

* "Some of the nutrients are synthetic". Why is that a problem?

* "It's hard to stick to and you will want to eat normal food after a while". Ok, well, that's my problem and not really relevant to its strict nutritional value.

I'm not an expert on nutrition, hence I thought I'd ask you guys, but I also know that the topic is not one that's based purely on hard science, e.g. People are often instinctively sceptical about products which are not "natural(TM)" without really explaining why that's a problem.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Huel are currently advertising for research participants, because theyve done no long term studies at all.

Generally nutrition is aided by having a large range of foods so that all your micro nutrients and vitamins etc ate covered, only having one type of food means if Huel is missing anything, your definitely going to be defienct in it.

Simon likes this.
  3. Dead_pool

Nutritional Information and Ingredients

Nutritionally huel seems pretty good, but id be wary of having only one source of nutrition long term, plus I imagine behaviourly it could mess people up with eating disorders, but as a short term/occasional thing it looks fine!

Mushroom and Knee Rider like this.
  4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

lol I've been using Huel for 80-100% of my diet (depending on the day) since November 2015. My chronic neuropathy aside (unrelated to nutrition), I've never been better.

Mushroom and Knee Rider like this.
  5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Can I ask how you include Huel in your diet mate? I'm in the process of going vegan but am obviously concerned about doing it well (not being nutritionally deficient) and this Huel stuff sounds interesting.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I have Huel blended in the Nutribullet with good ol' tap water, usually with coffee or one of the Huel flavour packs. I have 4-5 shakes a day, always feel full and loads of energy. If I'm going out with friends, I'll change one or two of the shakes for solid food.

Knee Rider likes this.
  7. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Well there you go. Looks like I'll be shelving my Tesco's club card for next month's food shop! I'm definitely giving that a go.

Van Zandt likes this.
  8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Honestly give it a bash mate, you'll feel a world of difference. Makes making weight for comps so much easier.

9. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I just did a quick run through of what's available and my gods those are expensive! I mean sure you could go on about the time savings but it takes me all of 15-20 minutes to make a healthy meal and clean the dishes. Unless I strike it rich or the price comes down they shan't be getting my money.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Think of if as an investment in your health. It essentially is perfect nutrition.

And to clear up a point made by the OP, Huel is not a meal replacement. It's powdered food, using a recipe created by certified dietitians.

11. Dead_pool

12. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Well the cheapest I could find here was about $100 CAD more expensive than my usual monthly grocery bill. I'd love to use it but time to cost I just don't think it's worth it.

13. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Hm, I am really curious now. What is the taste like? Just recently I bought two 3-portion packs of a protein drink, 100% natural that can be used as a replacement for breakfast of a snack. The protein there comes from pea and rice, which are, as I can see, the ingredients in Huel, too. I had a first taste and honestly, my whole body shook. I couldn't taste the flavour, just pea. And it wasn't good. I had a lot of trouble to gulp the whole portion. I tried to mix it with coconut and cinnamon, then kefir milk, strawberries (still that one portion), but nothing, NOTHING! could hide the pea taste and smell until I felt like throwing up with each gulp. The rest of the portion, sadly, ended up in my toilet. I then tried the other flavour the next day. I only made half a portion, though, and just forced myseld to drink it. And it was not easy, I tell you :D So now I wonder how all the protein drinks and stuff like this, especially if there is pea protein included, taste.

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Email and ask for a sample.

The taste and texture varies slightly depending on the amount of water you add to the mixture. I guess "vanilla-ish weetabix" could be one description. But I add ice and coffee to mine so it's like an iced frappucino with a shot of vanilla. Flavour packs are also available. Just ordered another month's supply this morning.

15. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Apparenty, they are not sending samples anymore. The smallest packege is 28 meals. And I don't thing I want to try in case it is as bad as the one I have at home :D
    I suppose coffee can add some taste and it sounds like you invented a good recipe. Too bad I don't like coffee.. I am picky, yes, no need to say that :D

16. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I suffer from mild IBS. So I always have a quick look on the forums, but the only way I know is if I eat/drink the stuff and see what happens.

17. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Sounds like the DIY soylent movement. Now there is a bunch of recipes for that, and they will meet all your needs. Just most of the time you are not saving any money by doing so. In fact, I can't really name a really good reason to go DIY Soylent over just regular eating... Other then it sounds cool.

They call themselves Complete Foods now. Complete Foods (formerly DIY Soylent) | Complete Foods Some of the recipes look yummy. I like this one. Bret's Soylent: Oat, Rice. Complete, low price. | Complete Food Recipe | Complete Foods

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

DIY? lol. Huel isn't manufactured by some guys in their mom's basement who only have a biology GCSE to their name.

It's an entirely personal choice what you eat of course, but there are plenty of legitimate reasons to use powdered food: save time, complete nutrition, reduce sugar intake, save the environment, save money...

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It's a surprise to me we've sorted out complete foods for all sorts of pets (cats, dogs etc) but not for humans (as far as I can see). Pretty sure I'd get on something like Huel just for ease and not having to decide what to eat all the time. I'm not into food at all and find deciding what to eat a burden TBH.

Van Zandt likes this.
  20. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Economics, TBH, who says that cat food is the best a cat can get? XP People can, have and do sell poision and claim it is soemthing diffrent.

I dont actually know what Huel is, so carry on. (fpr the record, i dont trust any of those news companies on fitness and health that ar elsited on their website)

I would argue the body is not built to eat a meal suppliment, that is only there for short term consumption. Like how the body struggles to digest solid foods after eating liquid based food for a while. You cannot really argue if you get a apple from a shop that its not a apple either. (what pesticide if any has been used can be) As a short term food suppliment, no issue, i see potetialfor it to be a decent bug out bag food or emergency stockpile food etc.