What is a disability?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Pog, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Pog

Pog New Member

Do you wear glasses?
    Do you have a lisp?
    Do you have a problem with a reverse 540 airborne kick?

We all have limitations! If the answer to any of the above is yes - are you disabled?

:bang: Can't wait for the replies to this one.

2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

1. The condition of being disabled; incapacity.
    2. The period of such a condition: never received a penny during her disability.
    3. A disadvantage or deficiency, especially a physical or mental impairment that interferes with or prevents normal achievement in a particular area.
    4. Something that hinders or incapacitates.
    5. Law. A legal incapacity or disqualification.

Collins explanation of a Disability. Personally, Id say the person who has the ailment/diusability is in a better position to answer, but i dont think glasses, a lisp, or training related problems class as disabilities.

3. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

so you don't think the fact that i can't see without my glasses is a disablity?

i'm not saying its a bad disablity or one that seriously affects my life (well if i lost my glasses i'd be in trouble) but all the same it still causes me problems.

4. Sgt_Major

no, i dont. there are medications that can cure it. Laser surgery, even contacts. I count a disability as something that caused a hinderance to the person, but cannot be cured. just my opinion like...

5. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Strange question.

A disability is a condition that stops someone being able to do something that most people can.

If you cant read without glasses then you are not able to do something that most people can therefore you have a disability, although not a major one. IMO its all relative

Most people cant do 540 spin kicks so if you cant do them then you're not disabled ;)

6. dragon_bunny

what medications cure being short sighted?
    as for contacts they are the same as glasses - i do use them when i train but again if they fall out or i lose them i can't see clearly enough to be safe which to me is a hinderance. By saying that because i can wear glasses which 'fix' my eyes you imply that having one leg isn't a disablity because you can wear a fake leg that 'fixes' that. i admit that being short sighted doesn't seem (and probably isn't) as serious as other disablitys though

As for lazer surgery the long term effects aren't know and it can't completely correct anyone with serious eye sight problems such as people who have to wear very strong glasses.

but thats just my opinion as well ;)

7. Sgt_Major

Indeed it can....my brother wore VERY strong glasses and had laser surgery which gave him perfect vision.....actually better than mine now :bang:

As for the one leg, you'd still be disadvantaged as the artifical one would not be to the same standard as your own. If it was then it stops becoming a disability and more a hinderance.

8. dragon_bunny

ok fair enough. Last time i checked it couldn't help :)

My glasses do not give me perfect vision. My periferal (sp) vision is still blurred because my glasses don't cover that area and there is a slight difference in perspecive between them and my contacts.
    My contacts do make my vision better but they can dry my eyes out, fall out, become uncomforable etc.
    So as they don't make my sight the same as someone who natural has perfect vision isn't that the same thing as having a disablity?

yeh not all false legs are the same standard as normal legs - some are better.

9. Sgt_Major

What defines perfect? Id say I have perfect vision, but due to a natural defect, my upper range is limited, but I dont notice cos its what Im used to....I dont count it a disability, but it could hinder me against someone without it. I think disability is a personal thing, someone with a good artifical leg may not class it a disability if it doesnt hinder them, where as someone else with the same problem might. :)

10. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Almost deaf in one ear.

I'm almost bald, how about that? Its permanent....

My own personal gripe is obesity. The government now says its a disability. That is something that can certainly be changed. Only a very small percentage of obese individuals can blame it on "genetics" or glands. I've had two patients this last few weeks that I couldn't examine because of weight limits on my exam table.

11. Sgt_Major

1. Thats your call. Id say yes, its a disability, but not into labeling others.

2. You can wear a hat....problem solved :D

3. Agreed. Its just encouraging fat people to do nothing about it...."Its not my fault, I'm disabled" ............. What is the weight limit on the table?!

12. Dr NinjaBellydance

Dr NinjaBellydance What is your pleasure sir

Heh, I seem to be making a habit of disagreeing with you today! ;) :D
    So here goes....
    My mother has a hearing impairment in one ear. There is surgery which could 'cure' it, but there is a risk that it might leave her completely deaf in that ear. So, she chooses to live with the partial deafness rather than risk losing her hearing in that ear completely. Why does that mean that she is not 'disabled', as opposed to someone who has the same or perhaps even more hearing, but does not qualify for the surgery?
    Also, does it count if the medication controls the condition, rather than 'curing' it?
    I think I'm feeling particularly argumentative today, I wouldnt take it personally!:p

13. Sgt_Major

Oh I dont know! :D I give up.....all week everyone been arguing with me! so dont worry about it NBD :D

14. dragon_bunny

umm.. if it has a defect then it's not perfect is it ;)
    i understand where you are coming from with your thoughts i just feel argumentive. :D i wouldn't personally describe myself as disabled but i accept that compaired to people who don't need any glasses or corrective measure to see well then i probably am. :rolleyes:

15. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

375#'s. Its amazing how many people are over our limit. My ear thing really isnt' a disability though, just used it as an example. Now if I were deaf in BOTH ears, that'd be a problem.......unless I were married. :eek:

16. Sgt_Major

It is to me. Thats what Im trying to get over.

17. dragon_bunny

fair enough but i would say that cause you have a limitation to your sight that shouldn't be there then it's not perfect :p but lets not get in to a is - isn't fight :D

18. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

19. Pog

Pog New Member

Ok - now I've lit the blue touch paper and retired to a safe distance...

From what you peeps are saying, it's definitely a sliding scale - consider these points:-

Is a disability -

a) A physical limitation?
    b) How we perceive ourselves?
    c) How others perceive us?
    d) How we think others perceive us?

20. Sgt_Major

I think what ever it is, Im gonna chase you down and give you one! lol :D :p