What is a butterfly knife?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by 47MartialMan, Jun 5, 2011.

1. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Could someone please photoshop a butterfly holding a knife...

2. komuso

komuso Valued Member

47MartialMan,

I am a university lecturer. It is perfect training for comedy.

paul

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Yes. Some skits had crossed my mind

4. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Do you realize how many butterflies it takes to produce just one pound of that?

No wonder the Monarchs are disappearing.

If it has a single edge it's called "knife" in CMAs.Even a full saber is a "knife"-a double edge is a sword.

The difference?Try spreading that butter with the Chinese version. The folder is a better kitchen companion.

That's what I've always heard them called. They don't sell them by that name in the catalogs anymore?

5. 47MartialMan

There is Woo Dip Har (Butterfly Shrimp) :)

or Woo Dip Dao

or woop di dau

or woo di dou

6. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Woo Dip Dao = Woo Dip Do

Did ye forget that "Dao" is oft writ as "Do" in writings on these weapons in English? Acceptable, not really correct,tho'.

Prithee save thy admonishments, for truly I am shamed in my lack of discernment in choice twixt these spellings.

I remain ever thy humble servant,

E.M.

7. 47MartialMan

Forgive my nit-picking spelling and/or semantics.

I was really trying to sound off a proper spelling in case anyone wanted to further research

Truly, sorry, indeed

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

No apologies necessary,m'lord.

9. 47MartialMan

Do you know about, or have seen the series specials;

Camelot or Game of Thrones

10. 47MartialMan

11. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Woo Dip Dao are definately knives by determination by the originators. As was said earlier, all single edged blades are knives and double edged are swords.

12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Nope. But I don't get TV reception -12 years or more,trees got too high. I'm sundered from exposure to popular culture. And the World Series!*sob*

Those shows aren't in the local library yet.

I do enjoy a good campaign in Medieval Total War I.

13. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

There is no correct for cantonese, there's no standardised romanisation as there is for putonghua. Funnily enough in the most common academic romanisation model for cantonese most of our familiar kung fu words are quite different. For example CLF is Choi Lieh Faaht.
    The word for knife is pronounced "Do" in Cantonese, "Dao" is Pinyin for the Putonghua equivalent.
    In the CLF Kuen Pos they're referred to as simply southern knives, and in Yang Jwing Ming's work it's implied that they're essentially a form of Shao Do, and indeed the techniques are not really that different to any other Seung Do.

14. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

yeah,I'm a Wade-Giles guy generally.

Just felt that "dao" was becoming more acceptable to many these days.There are some on MAP who have a dogmatic view that pinyin is the only way to go. (No MM, I don't mean you).

Your rebuke has reminded me not to pander to the masses,Ben.

15. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I'd say for Putonghua Pinyin is the way to go, it's more straightforward, less contrived and let's face it, it's what they use in China. However, once you start trying to use it for Cantonese words it becomes a horrible mishmash.
    For example, "butterfly knife" in Pinyin is Hudeidao.