What if

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by vampyregirl, Jun 30, 2012.

1. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

I know Chuck Norris competed in martial arts tournaments back in the day, but that was before the UFC, Strikeforce, Pride etc. Can you imagine how a young Chuck Norris or Steven Siegal would do in MMA?

2. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Steven Segal = fail

Chuck probably would have kicked butt

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

With the skill set they had or having trained in MMA? If it was their existing skill set against todays grapplers... they'd get smoked. In their day against competent NCAA wrestlers they'd have gotten smoked.

Either one of them if they had trained in MMA would probably have done ok. Chuck Norris probably better than just ok. Despite Segal being a totally self-obsessed fool with yellow shooting glasses on.... his Aikido is the real deal. You can't take that away from him and so I try to separate it from his public persona which comes off like a cheap suit.

4. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Doesn't Chuck Norris have a black belt in BJJ? Of course back in his prime i doubt if hed ever heard of BJJ.
    Since we are talking about movie stars, lets contrast the Karate Kid and Never Back Down, two great MA flicks. Back in the 80s when Karate Kid was made, knowing karate made you some sort of god of fighting and noone would mess with you. But the Cobra Kais would have gotten owned by Ryan McCarthy, Jake Tyler or John Roca. That old school karate just don't cut against MMA fighters. Like Ryan said you gotta mix it up.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

let's not.

6. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

So this is a thread about ''what if'' just about anything?

''what if'' we just thought about it first and went off and looked at something else? ;' )

LFD

7. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

what if Late for Dinner was on time for dinner once in a while?

8. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I bet I'ld be putting weight on a
    lot faster than I have been soooo far...

NOOOOO..... Cannot drink another gallon of milk :' P

LFD

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

What if Vamp learned a lesson from her temp bans and posted a decent thread?

At least this one *is* actually martial arts related - sort of

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

chuck did semi contact not full contact (even though full contact was around at the time) so pointless discussion really

as for segal, anyone who gets choked out by a middle aged guy (not once but twice) whilst in his prime and fills his pants as a result probably wouldnt do that well

11. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

What if the Americans had F-16's in World War 2?

12. Hannibal

Having your behind handed to you by Judo Gene is no disgrace...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
  13. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Too true.

Gene Lebell is the real Chuck Norris and Steven Seagal is worth less than one of Gene's solitary, grey, wang hairs...

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It's hard to discuss skill sets, since neither of them actually trained for an MMA format. But I can at least see some attributes in Norris that would have been promising. First, he clearly sees the value of conditioning. Norris is probably fitter today than Seagal was on his best day ever. Second, he seems to have an open mind about training. He embraced karate when he realized he was too dependent on kicks and BJJ when he realized he was too dependent on striking. Lastly, he actually has a competitive background. Say what you will about contact level. The man knows how to train for an event.

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Maybe not....but asking him to do it a second time because you think you can take him,........that shows you have some issues

and if you cant beat an old gene theres no way you are going to beat a young GSP is there.....

16. Hannibal

Of the "old school" ass kickers, Lebell stands tallest and even at his age today would probably annihilate most people

I spoek to him on the phone once and he was also a funny, humble and genuine guy. For most of my family (and friends actually) they could not see why I was so excited to have spoken with him; to me I had a conversation with a legitimate living legend

17. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Um.

Chuck brought the Gracies over for their first official seminar

http://www.graciemag.com/2012/06/the-day-chuck-norris-introduced-the-gracies-to-the-world-in-1988/

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Meaning?

Slip was saying that Norris wasn't involved in grappling in his competitive career. By the time he took up grappling, he was an awfully tough 50-something. But not exactly a threat to the likes of any given UFC competitor. The two factors simply didn't match up at the right time. Experience in grappling - Physical prime. If they had, and if the format had been more available, and if Norris had been inclined, then perhaps...

19. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

what if Chuck Norris didn't have a beard?

20. Markninja

Markninja Valued Member

I just recently saw a video of Norris competing back in the day.
    I thought he looked rubbish tbh, no way he'd have been able to compete with the blood thirsty brutes of the ufc, even in his prime.