What has mood to do with it?

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Rand86, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

DB Snatch 7x2 (43 kg)

Went well; almost too well, to be honest. I sense a bump in weight in the near future...

Neutral Grip Pullups/Headstand Pushups 6x3

Methinks I'll try for more sets next time.

Reverse Lunges 13/10/8 (~30 kg)

I need to weigh the bag I'm using; having said that, pretty good going.

Dragon Flags 8, 6

Filmed myself on the first set and made some drastic form adjustments on the second; difficulty promptly went through the roof. This better be worth it...

2. Rand86

A week spent hiking in the mountains; not much in the way of training, barring bits of technique practice here and there, but a tremendously enjoyable time nonetheless.

Back to the grind then:

Clean and Jerk 5x1 w/ 47 kg

These felt relatively easy, except when they didn't; after two successful attempts I had to take copious rest in order to get the rest of them up. Still, it's progress.

Assisted Glute Ham Raises 5x3

I think there's an unassisted GHR looming on the horizon. I nearly made it, except I chickened out with my face inches from the floor. Boo-hoo!

DB Rows/BS Dips 3xMax

10/6; 8/6; 7/6

Dunno if numbers on dips staying consistent throughout are a good thing or a bad thing; rows are getting stronger though, so I guess there's that.

Offset Pistols 6x1 w/ 15 kg

As much as I didn't like them before, it seems They might be just what the doctor ordered now. We'll see.

3. Rand86

Argh.

Okay, so all right hand jokes aside, my wrist gave me unholy hell Yesterday, it literally hurt to lift a mug of coffee; today, I managed some swings but sod that - the dumbbell isn't going anywhere, as opposed to yours truly.

Starting tomorrow, I'm away on my new group's batizado - it shall be glorious three days of training, playing, and general hanging out with peopl culminating with me being spectacularly put on my ****. Fun should be had certainly; whether I'll be able to walk straight the following week remains to be seen.

4. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Enjoy! Are you up for a troca de corda (I realize that you just recently joined this group, but thought I'd ask anyway)?

5. Rand86

Actually I'll be getting my very first cord on that one - I haven't been to the batizado in my old group last year which I regret dearly, as it was the one with Mestre Jogo de Dentro attending.

Live and learn, live and learn...

6. dormindo

Parabens! Put a few on the floor for me!;)

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

D'oh!

I was wondering why you were recommending potentially toxic chemicals to him, and then my Capoeira brain took over from my scientist brain! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraben

8. dormindo

I just love it that you went there (I'm a part time scientific geek--mostly geology--myself, though very lightweight in comparison to you, I'm sure)!

But, if Rand were to put a few parabens on the floor, it would make for a very interesting roda!

9. Rand86

:D:D:D:D

Done and done!

Weeell okay, I was the one getting put on the floor. But I got put on it a few times so I guess it counts for something. :whistle:

10. Rand86

YESTERDAY:

DB Snatch 5x1 (47 kg)

*takes a deep breath*

WOOT WOOT!!!

That's a long time goal FINALLY getting checked off.

Offset Pistols 4, 3, 3 (switching legs each rep, 12 kg used for balance)

Did as many as I could get, rested a bit, did some more, lather, rinse, repeat.

NG Pullups/Headstand Pushups 7x3

Finally some progress on that front as well; I should test my maxes soon

Body Levers 3x7

Paid extra attention to form but still ground more reps than expected. Huh.

TODAY:

AM

5 DB Swings (33 kg)
    10 Burpees
    15 V-Ups

5 rounds in 28:35

That went somewhat less well than I would've wanted. Still a pretty good workout, in a masochistic sort of way.

PM

Capoeira, mostly review of stuff from workshops at the batizado. I mostly bring it up to mention that I managed to give myself a bloody nose by going for arrastao/double leg takedown. Somehow. Go me!

11. Rand86

Well, in terms of training the remainder of last week was a complete and total clusterfudge. A holiday, means long weekend, means no class and lots and lots of family visits. Nothing to do but to clench your teeth and bide your time.

[ADDENDUM: video from batizado exists, that much is certain. Who has it, or whether it will be made public, is anyone's sweet guess.]

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

Clean and Jerk 5x1 w/ 47 kg

Groan. Kept missing the jerks left, right and center. Once I finally found my groove my right shoulder started acting up, so I decided discretion is the better part of valor and stuck to the plan minimum.

Assisted Glute Ham Raises 6x3

Going strong and stronger!

DB Rows (47 kg)/BS Dips 10/8, 9/7, 8/6

*checks notebook* A-yup, reps are up! Yippie!

Reverse Lunges 12, 11, 10

For some reason I felt these mostly in my lower back, as opposed to legs. That said, get back to me tomorrow.

The whole thing took about 1:05 to complete. Somewhere between the GHRs and rows/dips I seem to have lost momentum. Oh well, c'est la vie.

12. Rand86

Still alive, still training; I just keep forgetting to update the damn thing OR I can't be bothered to retype stuff from my paper log of awesomeness. I hate retyping.

Anyway, the strength portions are going on as usual. Yesterday I inaugurated the hill sprint season which left me damn near puking my guts out but - wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles - not feeling sore like bounding up a hill after a lay-off usually does.

Guess I'm doing something right somewhere.

Anyway, today

DB Snatch 6x1 w/47 kg

Felt alright. Another two or so weeks and I might consider adding another single or two.

NG Pullups/Headstand Pushups 8x3

And all of those were strong, solid pullups. I'm kinda stoked on that score, given my overall suckitude in that regard.

At one point during HeSPU's my right shoulder felt like it might have caved in but it was a false alarm. Finished strong.

Offset Pistols (1L/1R) 7, 3

Had to finish here so no flags today. I might indulge in a little bent press practice instead later.

13. Rand86

Week so far in review:

Monday was Standard Workout A. Not much in terms of improvements to report; in fact, reps slightly regressed on rows/dips. Bummer.

Tuesday was capoeira. All was well, save that I acquired a blister on my foot. Just when I thought I was past it...

Wednesday was a handy little circuit: 5 swings, 10 burpees, 15 v-ups, 5 rounds in 27:34. Wanted to do six but form on swings went out the window. Better luck next time.

Today:

Snatches 6x1

NG Pullups/HeSPU 5x3

Offset Pistols 6x1

Flags 3x6

Note to self: that circuit over there? Bloody stupid idea before a strength session; PB is of little consolation here.

Well, so it goes...

14. Rand86

Friday class was up in the air, and it seems to have never materialized. As it is, classes are on hiatus until the 23rd or thereabouts.

I've been happier in my life, it has to be said.

On the flipside, a little active recovery/mobility work as well as copious amounts of food and rest seem to have done wonders for my eagerness to train. So back at it tomorrow, and with capoeira on hold I may be able to up the ante a little.

Did a bit of technical practice. I have head bridge with qdr exit almost nailed.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jheQMjNP2K4"]Head Bridge to QDR - YouTube[/ame]

EDIT:

Way back before I made my way to MAP I used to to put up capoeira videos in my log. Might as well ressurect the tradition effective immediately:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LnIpTrDwsw"]turma de bamba - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  15. Rand86

Relatively easy session today; meaning that rather than fighting for every extra rep I decided to go as far as I comfortably can and stop there.

Clean and Jerk 6x1 (47 kg)

I'm sticking at 6x1 for a while; for now them reps're challenging enough.

Assisted Glute Ham Raise 6x3

I can feel it cooooming in the aaaair toniiiiight... I just might have to add a little bit of extra weight and see if that helps me get the ever-elusive unassisted GHR.

Afterwards, I'll take up hunting Great Whites with nought but my charm, wit, and native intelligence.

DB Rows (47 kg)/Blast Strap Dips

8/8

8/7

8/7

Dips still done dead-stop style; my chest and shoulders are liking them quite a bit.

Shouldered Squats (~40 kg bag) 6, 5

In lieu of lunges, since I'd managed to do something funny to my big right toe and it's finding lunges disagreeable.

I might have gotten just a teeny bit overzealous there... oh well, live and learn.

Words they'll probably put on my tombstone.

Capoeira vid for today:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXK6-kbZ2G8"]Roda de Abertura (São Bento Grande) - Cazuá Capoeira 2010 - YouTube[/ame]

16. Rand86

So.

I had a go at the deck of cards, vintage edition:

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/deckofcards.html

Jokers were 50 squats.

Managed 10 cards in 16:57, then sorta flopped on my butt and kinda sat there until higher brain functions re-engaged.

Fortunately, stopping a timer is a reflex action for me by this point.

So yeah, not my best showing. In my defense, the day's been hotter'n the armpit of hell and the cards magically aligned themselves highest value first.

Or maybe I just suck at shuffling.

Short workout so short vid:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riQpBgCOSAA"]simba e cueca - YouTube[/ame]

Also, 100 calf raises, split 50/50. Gonna try for 60/40 tomorrow.

17. dormindo

Yeah, I have this love/hate relationship with Ross--I love it when I read about his training ideas, but I hate it when I'm doing them!

At any rate, keep up the good work!

Love the idea of posting videos in the log--I am so stealing that, just as surely as I'm stealing Frodo's calf raise routine (Thanks, Frodo!).

18. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I'm going to start a MAPpers with monster calves group!

Ross is a total dude! I love his stuff!

19. Rand86

I made it through the entire deck of cards only twice. One was 1h 5 minutes, the other 59 mintues and some change. Both times sucked so hard there was nary a speck of dust left in the room by the time I was done.

Far as I'm concerned, deck of cards is something you survive.

20. dormindo

Then I'm really going to have to work that routine as my calves right now look like the narrow ends of chopsticks!