What has been working for you?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Yukimushu, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Which techniques/combo's/tactics/positions have been working well for you lately during sparring or compitition?

Weather it be a boxing/thai boxing combination, a gap breacher to get you into a takedown, or a submission; share with us which of the above been working for you.

2. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

My takedowns have been pretty unstoppable as of late, which I credit to my new training split. I've been doing a lot more sprints and plyometrics than usual (it's the nice weather) and my legs feel ten times as explosive.

I've also been catching a lot of people with the short armscissor to kimura from side control.

3. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

Well the only takedown I consider myself slightly good at is doing an arm drag and then a valley drop (not exactly like the one in judo, but I'm behind them, stick my foot behind their heel, then drop back and to the side). Lately I've had a lot of success with this lock, which I can't remember the name of:
    [​IMG]
    The website I got that from calls it "Bent Elbow Shoulder lock, Leg hooking the wrist", but I used to know a shorter name for it. :D

I also made some changes to the way I do triangle chokes, and the only time I tried it like that (last Saturday) it worked like a charm.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

stand-up - My leg sweeps have improved a lot, I either catch them really off balance or take their feet entirely.
    I have been able to control my grappling partners a lot more lately, even with competition guys*, and I tend to catch a lot of people with the triangle choke to arm-bar.

*I think they're sending me into a false sense of security...I know one day I'll be licking the mat

5. DaveMustaine

DaveMustaine New Member

grappling, I'm not super experienced, but recently I've had a pretty percentage of landing a triangle, specifically, I end up mounted on their chest with the triangle.

6. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

my hands. been working my boxing so much lately and its really showing in sparring.

7. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I've been having good results with my hands recently. I got the Rodney King DVD series and have been trying out some of the combinations from the "Power Offence & Kicking for NHB" volume. It's good stuff :)
    I scored a mount-escape to kneebar on Tuesday too. It didn't look pretty, but it did the job

8. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

That's an excellent instructional :D I've got it as well and im a huge fan of it; It's got some really nice, indepth techniques in there.

9. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Me

Stand up clinch - B2B suplex working well
    Ground work - Toe hold
    Stand up - Low leg kicks as usual

Mostly it for me really, same old same old for me the pick of the figure 4 on the arm with the leg I use that a lot epecially from a head throw.

10. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

i have been having great success with punch/kick combos recently in mma sparring. my ground game is on a roll of success, which is the reason i don't fear launching punch/kick combos. i'm feeling good on the ground.

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Passing guard, moving to side control, then to north south position has been working quite well for me lately.

12. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

lately i have been taking the back instantly after secuirng side contorl.

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I've found ive ended up on peoples back a fair few times as well. From north south, I either try secure a kimura, or give them some room to turn over, allowing me to take their back.

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Knee Mount to a triangle (with your opponent on his back indtead of you on yours). Lovely because not many people seem to do it.

15. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Mount escapes and choke defence for me!

16. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Is this where you step over their arm from mount, and roll them over to lock up the triangle?

17. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Pretty much, i normally just use my thigh to batter the arm out of the way in a big sweep motion :D

18. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

well, i'm in a rut at the moment, but before that my clinch dsefense was skyrocketing.

19. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

It's a great sub, and I love working from the scarf hold. If I can't get that lock to work, it's easy to switch to a scarf choke or a 'cobra choke' (this is what I learned it as, not sure what the actual name is) by going along with their pulling motion.

I'm also starting to blend my wrestling and sub grappling really well. I've only done sub grappling three times since I started wrestling, and the first time I did horrible. I couldn't react with subs fast enough and kept ending up in bad positions. Last weekend I did really well, I even tapped my partner out with a wrestling move from bottom referee's position. :D

20. Trinity

Trinity New Member

standing: a good migiri works for me. close in: all elbows. take down: rap around. Ground: side control to switch base (scarf hold) and finish with strangle,shoulder wrench or switchbase triangle.