What happened to Don Roley???

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Please reality, Mar 5, 2016.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Please Reality,

I agree with what's been said regarding this pattern of yours. I also agree with your point that people who post video online need to be prepared for critique and not just for adoration. But seriously, do you really want your PRIMARY "contribution" to MAP to be this ceaseless drone of "Look at this guy! He's wrong!"

It's tired, PR. It's really tired. And it's not just that you do this ALL THE TIME. It's that, to my knowledge, you don't offer any video of yourself doing things properly. It's as you said. If someone is going to post video of themselves doing technique, they need a thick skin. You, on the other hand, don't post video. And that would be fine, if you also weren't taking it upon yourself to police everyone else's videos. You can dress it up however you like. Quality control. Educating the newbies. Whatever.

But here's how it APPEARS to many other people: It appears as though you simply enjoy tearing people down from the safety of an anonymous screen name. Now, maybe those people need tearing down and maybe they don't. But it diminishes YOU to constantly be the person doing it. It doesn't make you look bigger. It make you look far, far smaller.

This guy's technique is no good. Fine. Perhaps his character is wanting as well. Wouldn't know. But what I see from you in virtually every post is this need to promote yourself as an authority by banging on about others' flaws. And, really, that's just sad. You'd garner a lot more respect from most quarters if you were posting flawed video that indicated you were at least working on something. As is, almost your entire online persona is this negative, trite, pretentious, and pedantic soul content with putting Xs through everything rather than adding anything to the board yourself.

I doubt that's who you are in real life. Which makes this such a complete and utter waste.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

If PR gave up his anonymity, would there be anyone left in the Buj who would talk to him?

It's funny how annoyed/fed up people get with PR. If you're not interested in critiquing Takamatsuden videos, why would you bother to read his posts? Constant criticism is no more tiring than constant praise. Evidently, the finer points of the Takamatsuden are difficult to master, so what's wrong with pointing out when people misrepresent themselves as an authority?

I think of it like public sector workers making anonymous blogs to criticise the hospital or police force they work for. They could never be so honest if they used their real names. Of course, ninjutsu is a rather more niche interest than hospitals or police forces, but this is a ninjutsu forum...

3. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Plenty of folk in the buj criticise others with no backlash from the org....

Perhaps the issue is that there's no downside to slagging others off

4. David Harrison

Fair enough, but I don't see why there should be a downside.

I don't know, or care, who PR is. All I care about are the points he writes here. They can stand on their own, without needing recourse to "who are you to criticise him/her?".

I just don't get the beef. There's an ignore function on MAP, right?

5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Not sure on the finer points of how its meant to be executed in the BJK (last video that dunc was just referencing) but the head and body positioning as well as the shoulder control and tightness of the underhook appear lacking when considered against a Greco/MMA approach. I think it exerts too little control over/pressure on, the structure of the uke and leaves you open to basic counters such as whizzers etc.

That's just my limited experience from a different perspective.

6. Knee Rider

If there is then that's pretty hilarious considering we are mostly adults and train to fight! Who has to censor their own reality to such a degree?? Haha

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Martial Arts and reality are not always bedfellows....

8. Knee Rider

Ha! A fair point ;)

9. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Not sure what Mods making personal comments about poster's and their assumptions about them says about MAP as a whole or this forum in particular but...

MAP has served it's function for me so feel free to ban me anytime you guys want. Especially if as you say, I have not added anything to your site in your eyes.

There were a lot of things that needed to be in the public domain concerning the Takamatsuden and I feel that I helped add to the potential knowledge out there about these arts, mostly for those who study them or who are considering doing so. Setting some things straight is more important than anybody's ego, mine included. I don't know what you know of my online persona, as you have only seen what I posted on MAP, so I won't get into that, but if I felt a need to be an authority, I would definitely post my name and credentials at every chance I had(that's how you come to be known as an authority, anonymously posting truths doesn't really have that same effect). People who read these forums but do not practice the arts in question aren't really relevant to the discussion about things particular to these arts.

I'd post videos but that can't be done without losing anonymity, pretty easy to understand. People can think and assume whatever they like, that I'm some kid in his grandma's basement in India, or a Blue Meanie, or someone who has bad taijutsu and couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag. Those who waste their time worrying about the personal life of someone they know very little about are entitled to that hobby.:)

Normally, I wouldn't respond to a post like this as I would've expected it in a PM, but I am responding here so I won't have to again. The majority of the posts in this thread have had nothing to do with the OP but were basically attacks of a personal nature. Doesn't really bother me, just seems a bit ironic.

Like I said however, if the Mods feel that my presence on MAP is not conducive to it's function or philosophy, take any action you feel fit. This is the ninjutsu forum after all, and all ninjas eventually:vanish:

10. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

I think some people might be a bit annoyed that if you try to actually discuss anything technical with him he'll cunningly fake like it might be going somewhere for five pages; only to whip out the old "come to Japan and see t3h realz, except you wouldn't even be invited to the underground lair where it occurs, and if you were they'd teach you wrong as a joke".

I, on the other hand, find circular-internet-ninja-logic to be strangely compelling. Never change, PR, never change.

11. Please reality

What technical aspects of ninjutsu are you honestly trying to understand, explore from an unbiased open perspective without agenda or ridicule? If you came to Japan with an open mind and found the right teacher, you would probably be impressed and most definitely learn something useful. However, just showing up is no guarantee of greatness. Even for those lucky enough to find a master who is willing to teach them the true art, it still takes hard work, dedication, time, trial and error, you know basic gongfu. You can't get it online or without making certain sacrifices. For those who think you can, you are better staying far away from the Takamatsuden.

12. David Harrison

I've had technical discussions with him that were perfectly open and never went down that path. More so than with some who do post videos, come to think of it.

Ninjutsu does have a competition format, but they use keyboards instead of shuko :D

13. Please reality

Priceless.:happy: Whatever people might think of PR, I think it's weird that they spend any energy guessing and pondering who s/he may be in reality. I guess I should be flattered but my ego isn't really involved in MAP so.:dunno:

14. David Harrison

Yeah, I just don't get it.

You could be SpamBot 5000, spouting out random eBudo quotes for all I care.

If there's something in one of your posts that piques my interest, I'll ponder it. If I have a question, or disagree, I'll post it. If not, on to the next new post.

I can't see where the drama comes from :dunno:

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm a moderator David. I don't get to use the ignore button. I'm charged with thinking about MAP as a whole, including how it's perceived by new users. And this isn't the face I'd choose to put forward.

PR, it wasn't a personal attack. I think you can do better. Much better. I think your current approach is a waste. If I thought this was all you were capable of, that would be a different matter.

That said, I'm not the highest authority here. If someone thinks I'm out of line, I'm subject to the same disciplinary measures as anyone else. And I'll take them without complaint.

You're a smart guy. Clearly. But the tone you set...

16. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

None at all, other than where they overlap with technical aspects of our normal, Earth-person, fighting.
    Serious question: can you locate me a PR post where he describes the way he thinks a thing ought to be done in fighting. Not picking out errors in how someone else does it; not a vague allusion to the correct way Nagato did it one time that was just like, so, badass. An actual description of a technique or strategy in a way a human being might be able to read and implement.
    You're unfamiliar with the notion of human beings being annoyed by words? The world has much to teach you, grasshopper.

17. David Harrison

Oh, okay, so it's a marketing consideration?

I think it would be different if his criticisms didn't make technical sense, or if other experienced Takamatsuden students didn't generally agree with his technical analyses, or if he was obviously plagiarising from other sources.

I suppose it's fair to call him a one-trick-pony, but I've certainly learnt a lot about the Takamatsuden from taking a little time to study the differences between the good and bad videos, in conjunction with PR's, and other MAP members, critiques. Getting an idea of what they are looking for is not the same as judging videos on my own terms, and as such I think it is of real use to prospective students and rubberneckers alike.

18. David Harrison

Oh man, it has happened, but would you forgive me if I didn't spend the next hour or two trawling the Ninjutsu forum to find an example? I'm supposed to be working!

19. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

The one thing I have learned from MAP in general and largely from PR's posts is that there is very very very little that overlaps with normal earth person fighting.

20. Please reality

We've discussed many things on PM and in forums here and I respect your opinion. However, I don't see how you could describe that post as anything other than I did. Bolds or writing in all caps is considered yelling(actually learned that on MAP, thanks guys), and you know why I don't post videos of myself(because anonymity) something that has been discussed many times before. I'm not policing videos, just pointing out flaws that anybody studying ninjutsu should think about and wonder if they are making the same flaws themselves. I've posted good videos and done what I could to try to be helpful. However, if the Mods don't think me being around is helpful or cosmetically appealing, so be it. It's your site, and I won't pick any bones about any discussions you(global you) make.

I don't care what appears to be the case to people outside the art who laugh at it anyway and aren't trying to learn the reality of ninjutsu. If people want to actually learn the Takamatsuden, it is possible, just pretty darn hard(for reasons that have been debated to death).

You calling me out for not posting videos, critiquing my critique of videos of others, and saying I don't add to the board doesn't sound like constructive criticism, sorry. It's no big deal though, just I would've written personal things in a PM and not posted in a thread instead of hijacking the thread. From Simon I wouldn't be surprised, but again that's my personal opinion. No blood, no foul.

Sorry if people don't like my tone, but I didn't create the bad video thread, nor did I start the madness. It's not easy being a blue meanie, :cool: but don't worry, whatever you all decide is fine by me. MAP has been fun at times but it isn't an integral part of my life so que sera sera(whatever may be will be).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016