What form of Kempo does Z-Ultimate teach

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Corrmaz, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

I trained at Z-Ultimate for a while but it go to expensive. I want to continue training in Kenpo but I dont want to start over at white belt. So I want to find a new dojo that is cheaper that teaches the same art. So do they teach:
    -American Kenpo
    -Tracy Kenpo
    -Oringinal Kenpo
    -Shaolin Kenpo

Also what are the differences between:
    -Tracy Kenpo and Original Kenpo
    -American Kenpo and Oringinal Kenpo and Shaolin Kenpo

I was thinking about going to AZ Cahun Fa society and they say their form of kenpo in called
    -Chinese Kenpo Jiu Jitsu
    This is what Mitose called his Kenpo art when he taught in Hawaii which was oringinal Kenpo. Z-Ultimate their lineage traces back to Mitose and never mentions Ed Parker, Master Tracy or the guy who created Shaolin Kenpo.

2. blindside

blindside Valued Member

I think the Zultimate studios descend from the "Shaolin Kempo" side of the tree, lineage looks something like: Kajukenbo (Adriano Emperado) - Karazenpo (Sonny Gascon) - Shaolin Kempo (Nick Cerio) - Villari Shaolin Kempo (Fred Villari) part of the chain of Villari Shaolin Kempo Schools - breakaway of United Studios of Self-Defense studios under Charles Mattara - breakaway of the Z-Ultimate studios under whoever.

Virtually all of the kenpo systems are mutts, some more than others.

"Original Kempo" should probably be considered what James Mitose did, that would be what he called Kenpo-Jujitsu, modified by what William Chow did with the system (he called what he did Kenpo-Karate). Chow taught both Adriano Emperado (founded Kajukenbo) and Edmund Parker (founded American Kenpo). Ed Parker taught the Tracy brothers, they eventually broke away and called what they did "Tracy's Kenpo-Karate.

Tracy's Kenpo is recognizably a Ed Parker lineage. You would be hard pressed to make an obvious connection between what current American Kenpo does today and what William Chow taught. The original Kajukenbo-Kenpo and American Kenpo are fairly obviously cousins, that relationship gets strained when you start going down lineage from the original Kajukenbo-Kenpo.

Clear as mud right. :D And you really couldn't hop from one to another without starting over, but you would probably learn quickly.

PS: Names mean very little in terms of lineage, look for quality students, don't worry about the lineage.

3. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

Yeah ACS says their art is Kenpo Ju Jitsu so thats the oringinal style i guess. I plan on doing Shorin Ryu karate but I cant decide if I should do Kenpo or To Shin Do. I plan on taking Bujinkan Ninjutsu in college(there is a dojo by the college Im going to go to) So is there a point to going to To Shin do

4. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Just because it is called "Kenpo Jujitsu" it doesn't mean it is the same as what James Mitose taught. Lots of name changing going on in kenpo lineages.

5. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

I looked at their lineage and it traces to James Mitose

6. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Try them both out. Most schools let you have a free class. The instructor is a least as important as the art, if not more so.

7. blindside

blindside Valued Member

So does my lineage, doesn't mean what I was taught is the same as what Mitose taught.

8. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

So is american Kenpo and the Kenpo william Chow taught close to almost the same.

9. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Not according to Ed Parker.

10. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

ACS said their style of kenpo is from the Traco frederation what is that Tracy Kenpo? What for of kenpo is the closest to what James mitose taught. Is the Vilaris Martail arts center any good.

11. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

what is chinese kenpo that what ZUSDS said they teach I emiled them. This one instructor said he trained in Chinese Kenpo straight from Sun Chow is that oringinal Kenpo because I knoe Sun chow modified it and called it Knepo Karate

12. blindside

blindside Valued Member

TraCo was a partnership between the Tracy's and Tom Connor, this was post the Tracy's split from Parker, so no it isn't much like what Mitose taught.

13. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

Well what is chinese kenpo i i guy down here trained with sun chow and learned chinese kenpo Vernon Kam

14. blindside

blindside Valued Member

15. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Closest to what Mitose taught would be his Kosho Shōrei-ryū /Kosho Ryu. It's still being taught. Seems to have been based on Okinawan Karate.

16. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

So I think I got this
    James Mitose-Kosho Ryu Kenpo
    William Chow-Chinese Kenpo
    Ed Parker-American Kenpo
    Tracy Brothers-Tracy Kenpo
    Nick Cerio-Shaolin Kenpo
    Now what are the similarities