what 'flavour' is your HKD?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Kosh, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Someone in another post said that modern HKD is Aikido with crap balance. This was the inspiration for this post - but thats not the topic.

The HKD i learn uses several principals:

-Unbalancing
    -Pain / Persuasion - through locks etc
    -Your own body weight
    -Striking - as a means to make them 'more accessible' to make locks etc possible
    -Body Reflection - you do something which the resist to then use that resistance for another move
    -Fowards-backwards movements - dont know what to call these, you make them one way then sharply the other way

What are the proportions that these principals fall into your HKD?

Do you use 'large' or 'small' moves? ie. do you perform large circular swinging moves or small twisting ones? Or both?

Do you perform the move in order to lower them to the floor or do you perform the moves in order to do very fast 'snap' of the wrist or whatever?

2. tswolfman

tswolfman New Member

All of the above plus we add a little bit of kicks to go along with the strikes but im not sure of % of each as i am still a begineer

3. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Hello Kosh,

This is kind of vague, can you be more specific in your question? There is only one Hapkido, what is taught is to a degree where the lineage you came from teaches. Is this what you mean?

4. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greetings,

You first must realize there is only one style/flavor of Hapkido and that the Original style of Choi or Ji.

Many teach offshoots of Hapkido but the flavor could be any mix of things
    comming from any type of MA one want's it to be.

I train in the Original form of the Art, I beleive Duk Moo is from Ji Han Jae lineage as well.

5. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Like i said, someone said that modern HKD is a 'bastardised version of Aikido' and someone else said that original HKD was all about unbalancing as apposed to small circle joint locks and pain complience. Was wondering wether people study purely unbalancing HKD, or if they study HKD which is similar to mine.

Aikido seems to really on pure unbalancing techniques, but to me this requires large movements which are inapropriate sometimes. Not to mention the apparent dicotomy that you cant use someones force against them if they dont apply any. This being the case, HKD sometimes uses very small fast joint locks. Is this true for everyone. Ive indeed seen some website vid clips which claim to teach HKD but the techniques lack some of my HKDs principals. Some of it seems like AKD with TKD.

6. BackFistMonkey

BackFistMonkey Valued Member

Its funny We do all of these thigns ....
    actually it is all part of it, some things like unbalancing are taught in every technique I have learned
    depends on the technique some techniques are large and fluid others are small and tight . Depends on what you are trying to do , but in general the more I learn the the more I see what I am learning leaning towards small circles .
    It depends again on many factors .. what technique ,the level of skill, and pain tolerance of my partner , along with his/her breakfalling skills alot of times we vary from what I refer to as "cuddle time" when we baby and lower and support and are generaly very noncombative to things more my speed with resisting partners and the need to tap out not becouse it hurts a little but becouse it HAVE TO .
    The unbalancing techniques and tricks we use in almost everything are usually very very subtle just enough to weight a leg (to keep it planted, in other words not kicking you ) or to make them think and recover for a split second , little things that in my opinion are rarely inapropriate . But I agree that in Aikido it is a "tad bit" more exagerated ...

but as to the Hapkido I take , ....its "flavor" I say .... umm vanilla or maybe even white bread American ... more than likely not even real hapkido.Maybe one day when I can get out of the wild woods of the US and into a city with something to offer I can give you a more desisive answer ....

But untill next time be well and train hard
    BackFistMonkey