What ethnicity are you most?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by jujitsuka07, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

hahaa there's no such thing

2. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

How far back do you have to go to say what ethnicity you are. From Wiki ( I know, I know)
    "Pertaining to race; peculiar to a race or nation; ethnological. Also, pertaining to or having common racial, cultural, religious, or linguistic characteristics, esp. designating a racial or other group within a larger system; hence (U.S. colloq.), foreign, exotic."

So ethnicity is more than biological, an Irishman may be biologically mixed (Celt, Norse, Germanic etc) but culturally Irish, so where do you say the ethnic group starts.

For the record I am Half Italian, with a mixture of German (Prussian), Irish (Protostant but not part of Northern Island) and English. But I usually just say I am Australian, does me fine.

3. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

true Like Iv said previous in the thread I don't think anyone can truly be defined there's no one a 100% anything. I was simply making an observation that there's allot of people who are Scottish or Irish or have Scottish or Irish origins not to mention Welsh and French people posting on here.

4. boards

Agreed, but I suppose it comes down to how an ethnicity is defined.
    It's not surprising that there are alot of Scottish, Irish, Welsh and French people considering the colonial empires that existed until fairly recently.

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

hahaa Scotland, Ireland and Wales never had no empires :p they just got around allot you know escaping or being forced to move by empires but yeah I see were your coming from

6. boards

They were all part of the British Empire is what I am saying, and the British Empire did alot of colonising. But you know what I mean.:cool:

7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

haha we are going onto a touchy subject now so ill just say not by choice or without protest (to put it mildly)

8. omglookitsagoat

omglookitsagoat Valued Member

Mostly English. A little French and German. (Descent) Nationality - American

9. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

Northern Irish and probably Scotish and English waaaaaay back. Family name is from west country and birmingham and my mothers name is of Scotish origin

10. lowly monk

lowly monk Valued Member

Mixed up

Euromutt and iraquois with some african. Gee I have an excuse for anything!

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

A bit OT but interesting - For the longest time my buddy thought he was Italian, as did most of his family. Thanks to Ancestry.com, they actually discovered they're Puerto Rican. Crazy stuff.

12. Rosie the Riveter

Rosie the Riveter Valued Member

Iranian American

13. kitkatninja

kitkatninja Valued Member

On one side German/Czech and on the other Chinese/Malay.

Has anyone here done DNA ancestry testing?

-Ken

14. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I wish I knew. I'm adopted. No idea who my real parents were or what nationality they descend from. The odds on favorites have always been: Italian, German, Russian or some sort of slavic descent. Days like today really depress me because they remind me just how much of "me" I'll never get to know.

15. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Half Scottish, Half German. Just kidding! :D

I'm actually an inter-dimensional being of celestial origon.

16. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

The Scots were very happy to join the union, they proposed it!

Not sure about the welsh or the irish however, if that was who you were referring to.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  17. Bigmikey

I can see that.... its in the shape of the head... and that whacky glowy thing you do. :cool:

18. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Yeah, I'm not suppose to be anthropic. I'm technicaly a GAZHU-4-Bee-aheedronangle.

It doesn't translate well into your 3 dimensional universe. :(

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  19. Bigmikey

Thats unfortunate. Because now you're left looking like a tetrahedron...

20. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Mother was very tiny didn't weigh much more than 95 pounds all her life and was 4 foot something.She had very quick actions and she looked mostly American Indian but she said she had some English blood in her.
    Father was mostly of Scandinavian descent he claimed but not real light in skin color and of medium to small stature.
    Most people think I am native American and even have had some ask what tribe I belong to.Which was probably a tribe from the far northeastern part of the US or England way back when. I am doing some research on this.