What does your school do?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Humbleseeker, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Humbleseeker

Humbleseeker Valued Member

Ok I am a newbie to martial arts been training for almost 3 months and getting close to testing for my yellow stripe. My school has two stripes per belt is that regular? My first test will include 1-3 of Ki cho Hyung and Ki bohn soo 1-5 and I am sure various other kicks and punches.

2. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

We have two stripes per belt color too. It is not normal but not unheard of either. In my school there is only four belt colors with three levels to each color. The stripes are colored electrical tape. This is done to save people money. We don't have to get a new belt every few months when new. This especially helps the families that train with us. We also don't pay a testing fee unless changing belt color and that fee mostly just pays for your new belt, which is included in the promotion. I am not in Kuk Sool though, I study a modern form of Ju-Jitsu.

3. Humbleseeker

Yea my school uses electrical tape as well. I think testing is $10 bucks per stripe and $30 per belt. Except black I do not know how much that is I am sure it is in the hundreds.

I am still really liking martial arts I feel like I am getting back into the shape I was in during my military service. Also after 3 months I can see physical changes in my body such as loosing gut and increased cardio and muscle. It really is something I am glad I started before getting to much older.

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

$50 a belt? I think you should get something nicer than electrical tape for $10, but that's just me. My coach gives me 'em for free! :D

5. Humbleseeker

Yea when you look at it that way we should just get them for free with the cost of lessons. lol

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Unless he/she subsidises your training out of another income they aren't free, you just pay for them as part of your training fee. :)

Mitch

7. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

We kinda do that too, stripes are basically free, no charge to get a stripe, you just have to be there on the testing day, or the make up testing. Then you pay for the belt testing, which is to pay for the belt, and paper/ink for certificates.

8. PSBN TREV

PSBN TREV New Member

At our dojang we have one stripe per belt (color belts). It is the new standard in Kuk Sool schools. Basically at our school we teach ki bohn soo 1-8, and ki cho hyung 1-3, along with all the basic level nak bub, and various basic gymnastic moves.

Our stripe tests are only $10, but our belt tests are $30 or $45, im not too sure. But the black belt prices are not cheap. I remember my first degree was $350, second degree was $500, and third degree was $750. I think the prices have risen since I have last paid for black belt testing. Expensive but definitely worth the training and knowledge that comes with each rank!

Again, having two stripes per belt is not standard in Kuk Sool, it isnt a bad thing though. The only negative thing would be if the time between belts is longer than the standard. In Kuk Sool you should be able to go from white to black in 2.5 - 3 years.

Keep up the training and stick with it, you wont be disappointed with the results!!!

9. VegasMichelle

VegasMichelle Valued Member

I don't think this is an accurate statement. You will rarely find anyone making BB in 2.5 years....unless you are including some special case. Even the 3 year mark is a stretch. On average, the typical person makes BB in a range from 3 years 9 months to 5 years. This person usually makes classes 2-3 times a week.

I do both KS and BJJ and have found the monthly tuition of KS only a fraction of BJJ. BJJ schools can be very expensive. Conversely, the belt tests in KS are expensive.

A typical 10-year projection:

BJJ:
    $150/month x 12 months = $1800/year x 10 years = $18,000
    No testing fees. No belt fees.

Total: $18,000

KS:
    $960 for a year (assuming direct deposit discount, otherwise $90/mo)
    So 10 years tuition = $9,600
    Yellow stripe = $10
    Yellow belt = $35
    Blue stripe = $10
    Blue belt = $35
    Red stripe = $10
    Red belt = $35
    Brown stripe = $10
    Brown belt = $35
    Brown stripe = $10
    DBN belt = $35
    DBN stripes x 6 = $60
    JKN = $350
    KSN = $500
    PSBN = $750

Total: $11,485

So...when asking about belt/testing prices...you should always ask about normal tuition prices too. Belt/testing prices can be CHEAP if tuition is high. Conversely, if belt/testing prices are high, tuition may be cheap.

Finally, the discounts given as family discounts when multiple family members join is much more generous in KS tuition-wise. However, the BB testing fees remain very high for every family member.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  10. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Wow, $750 for a belt test....

11. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

I do only solid belts up to brown/black.

White
    Yellow
    Blue
    Red
    Brown
    Brown/Black (and then stripes after for subsequent testing's).

When you reach Brown/Black, you receive a custom made belt from Kataaro. When you continue to test and earn stripes on that Brown/Black Belt (Which is half-brown and half-black lengthwise - like a Poom belt), your stripes are sewn on...no electrical tape.

I do testing every 3 months. All students are different and learn differently. I have some students who have made it to 1st degree in 2.5 years, and others in 4 years.

12. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  13. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

They are great! I use them for all of our Black Belts as well.

14. JoKyoNimJey

JoKyoNimJey Valued Member

Yes it is. But I'm going to try to give you more context. That price is for the 3rd Dahn promotion, which is 10 to 15 years (depending on how often you train) in the association. For KSW tests, the GM and several assistants travel the world to proctor tests and instruct seminars. A KSW candidate also tests 8 to 12 times. That's quite a bit of traveling for the proctors.

Another way to think about it is the prices are similar to union dues. I pay this much to be a part of an organization that is very well accredited and I can go anywhere in the world and have the rank recognized. Within the association of course.

While I still agree that it is expensive, I only pay that once every 5 or 6 years. 750/5 is 150 a year or $12.50 a month. Not really that bad.

15. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

Let's think about this:
    Start date + 3 months = Yellow Belt
    Yellow Belt + 3 months = Blue Belt
    Blue Belt + 3 months = Red Belt
    Red Belt + 3 months = Brown Belt
    Brown Belt + 3 months = Black/Brown Belt
    Let us say your timing is great and you can start your Black Belt Testings in + 3 months.
    Test every 3 months for one year ( 4 more test at 3 month intervals)
    = 18 months when you start testing for Black + 12 months till Black Belt
    That is 30 months or 2.5 years

This is / was the minimum time requirements for Black Belt in the WKSA.

If a school decides to add time and stripe tests it could go more....
    add 15 more months = 3.75 years till Black Belt.

just saying :evil:

16. VegasMichelle

Just went on a business trip to Singapore. BJJ cost for 1 month was $580.

17. mattt

mattt Valued Member

That's not the standard/average rate per month I imagine.

18. VegasMichelle

I believe the standard rate was $475/mo. It is one of the priciest tuitions for BJJ I have seen in the world.

19. JoKyoNimJey

JoKyoNimJey Valued Member

OP, how often do you test? I would say, on average in KSW, belt promotions are every quarter, or every 4 months. Tests can be held every month or every 2 months depending on the school's schedule. Unfortunately, I can't really tell you what the norm is there because every school is different.

20. Maggie

Maggie Valued Member

I knew a guy to earn black belt in 2 years, he was exceptional. I earned mine in 3.5, I think, but I also delayed my black belt testing by arriving late to Houston's testing at Tournament time, having driven all night from Illinois.