What does your Kiai sound like?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Flying Shadow, Dec 2, 2004.

1. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

Once, I screamed "By the power of Grayskull" and got big laughs. I waited until over a year later, then screamed "Thundercats, Ho!" - but nothing that time. I was trying to do a flying side, and hold the Hoooooooooooo! over the entire length of the kick. Didn't come out quite a cool as I wanted it to, though.

2. GeeniusAtWurk

GeeniusAtWurk Valued Member

Well we keep em short and sweet, and use the same words that our founder did to identify CLF students on the battlefield. Ha for straight fist punches and leopard fists, yut for palm strikes, and wok for tiger claws. dik for kicks.

of course during sparring you dont wanna stop to think what word to use, so i just say "hai" or "yah"

3. masteryoursoul

masteryoursoul New Member

Oh my god!

I can't believe no onbe uses this one, my favorite, the one I use.

"Jihad! Jihad!" :woo: Beat that!

No but seriously. Its not a practice of my dojo/studio to regulary Kia/Kiup during training. Often times it will happen during bagwork or other such calistenic drills and sometimes in full contact training, (most in full contact its hissing and growling). My normal Kiup/Kia is something like " Aht (kinda like aught) Aahttah!" or sometimes

"Hoooot" (sounding like a drawn out 'Hot')

When I was a kid I would go "Oiya!" (Oi Yaaaah)

4. neomusashi

neomusashi New Member

Ive been told I sound like a Tekken character, not good probably........

5. Kyu

Kyu New Member

I got a new one...its ''Yach!!!''

6. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Once I shouted 'DIE YOU SCUM!' and I got a black look :(

7. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Oh, God...Mine sounds like that - 'Yakh!!!' - there's a definite German 'CH' sound there, rather guttural. Like I am in everyday life really. Passionate, savage and uncivilised :D .

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Now why do I 100% believe that? :D

9. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

One of my sparring partners screamed WATAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and got two hits in because I was too busy laughing.

10. Emma W

Emma W New Member

my kiai sounds like 'IAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH'! or in general, just a really loud shout from the pit of my stomach. however, once, i went through a phase of shouting 'DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE'! and i knew a girl that shouted 'JAMMMMMMMMM'! when she did a kiai, lol

11. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Now, there's the virtue of versatility. Forget speed, strength and skill. Tactics like these win!!!

12. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I was watching a grading last week and there was one girl who shouted "Blue!" on just about every move with an extra loud "BLUE!" at normal ki-ai points. 'twas pretty funny!

13. Alex_JHH

Alex_JHH Cardboard Tube Samurai

Mine is normally along the lines of "Jiaaaaaaah", except slightly softer, like "Chiaaaaah".
    Actually, more like "Jaaaaaaah".
    It kinda changes, can't really describe it. I really get into it though, normally one of the loudest in the class :p

Are you sure that the forced puking sound wasn't force breathing? Buki I think it's called.

14. JTiedes

JTiedes Wielder of the Wiffle.

at my first school we were told to say "tia" but i felt like a dumb little kid trying to say that with my foghorn voice :( so i decided to say "TSU" for our katas however our full kiai was ( the letters say their names here lol ) iiiiiiiiieeeeee-SAH! for sparring i always just hissed and blew the air out, only kiaing when i was trying to hit harder or faster than normal
    at my new school however its just iiiah!

15. Yashka

Yashka New Member

I second Shotokan Warrior's 'short harsh Yakh!!!' I was told to shout 'kiai' too, it's really unnatural. Some people don't get it, they actually say the word 'kiai' like it's in conversation, it would be searingly funny but I guess I'm used to hearing it.

16. Stoutly Rooted

Stoutly Rooted New Member

Excactly, dude(ette?)
    I mean, what about when you're excercised to the limit, you're SO thirsty, and you come to the kata with your semi sticky foamy mouth...three, two, one, "Kcchhhiiiaaa!!" Giant mucous flying!!! Or am I the only one.... .... Oh.

17. Kyu

Kyu New Member

Ya SR...I think you are the only one...lol

18. Lucius

Lucius Valued Member

:D
    I personally don't kiai anymore, but I am tempted by Ryuken! or Thundercats, ho!
    However, time spent at Muay Thai has left me with a habit of grunting when punching and kicking, which I suppose could be classed as a kiai of sorts.

19. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I used to have a really loud kihap. But after being dinged at some tournaments for being too loud I've toned it down. In class also we're encouraged not to be TOO loud. Funny though, our instructor is always tellling the kids to be louder.

20. Zertz

Zertz New Member

HADOKEN! :woo: :woo: :woo: