What does your Kiai sound like?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Flying Shadow, Dec 2, 2004.

1. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

people at my school tend to start out with "kee-eye" but soon figure out that isn't really what you should do... and shorten it to "KEY" or even "GEE".

2. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

mine is allways different but i mostly use" ddddaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy"

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

mine is something around DSeÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁHH!!!
    I also try to make it sound gutural, like if someone stole my karate-gi and i scream bloody murder trying to get him

4. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

You had to use accents too? Oh, the ineffable arcana of the Kiai!!!

Does anyone think a long scream is unnatural when sparring? I usually revert to a short harsh 'Yakh!', I find it easier for fast movements.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

yes i had to use use them, they give the most acurate representation of the sound rather then plain aaaaa... which seems like a death rattle

and no long kiais are not unnatural only i think when you shout you phase out a little so it's better to make them short, besides, our sensei explained to us that the kiai during kumite is to relieve the tension on the lungs for trying to breath while continually moving and hopping, so when you shout, you release all the trapped air and it eases your breathing.

Fish Of Doom

6. powerof0ne

powerof0ne Valued Member

kiai

I used to make mine along the lines of "ksssaay!"; I remember I actually competed in a TKD tourny in '96 and they had everyone competing line up to do basics. Every TKD practitioner kept looking at me because my kiai was much louder than theres. My kiai now is usually more of a "Aussss!" now; someone mentioned therers sounding like a growl. Don't know if any of you watched the MTV true life about muay thai but one of the guys on that show Ben Garcia. I've trained next to him a few times and he sounds like a animal growling when he's doing bag/pad work.

7. Kyu

Kyu New Member

one of my Simpis sez WAAAZAA!!!. (Only time i have ever herd a ''Z'' used in a kiai)

8. SparcZ

SparcZ That's flexibility!

Maybe your sempai still likes the old Budweiser commercials. :confused:

WASSSSUP! :D

9. Stoutly Rooted

Stoutly Rooted New Member

Oh, dude. I take Shotokan, too. And I am so not trying to be disrespectful, but the Sensei's wife(who recently trained the Shotokan team in El Salvador...he's gonna train the Nicaraguan team) starts screaming like, two seconds BEFORE the punch and just keeps going until she's outa breath.
    Uhhh, yes the sweat is from the training, Sensei.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2004
  10. Stoutly Rooted

Stoutly Rooted New Member

Kyu is right, Junichi does say, "WAAZZAAA!!" I say, "SHHHiiiiIAA!!" Sorry, dude, didn't mean to spit on you.

11. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

Hadoken?
    Shoryuken?

Come on guys, be serious, try Shinku-tatsumaki-senpu-kyaku!
    Or... (he he) Optic Blast!!!

An interesting and apparently popular kiai is DIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE! but some people don't like it; they tend to reply "no i won't!" or "YOU die!"

Mine is a good old fashioned YAAAAAAAA! but i also have a deep, 'silent' one. Is this type considered kiai or abdominal exhalation?

PS: BANZAAAII!

12. BackFistMonkey

BackFistMonkey Valued Member

Deflating the Lungs

"Die !!!" I have used .. and yes the responce from my sparring partner was :"NO ! you DIE !!!" the last "DIE" being punctuated by a round house kick to the inner thigh of my back leg with the ball of her foot then ax kicked front leg's my ankle with her heel as she dropped into her stance into my guard ( instead of rechambering the snap) and pushed me over sideways .

The lesson I learned was a memorable one that goes something like this in haiku form :

Lil girls with black belts
    should be watched silently
    not taunted by boys

without skills and no
    sense of balance and a
    open sassy mouth

for they will be hurt
    and cry for their mistakes,
    embarressedly

The sounds I make vary depending on the situation sometimes it is to mislead or frighten my opponent other times its to establish a rhythmn to change it suddenly and of course to empty the lungs . So the "Kiai" sounds shifts from "Bad Kung Fu Film" to Chuck Norris in "Walker Texas Ranger" to the near silent "oooooossss" depending on whats going down.

As a general rule being loud in a "selfdefense" situation is a good thing . Most attackers dont like it if you start attracting a lot of attention to whats going on . While you shouldnt depend on random acts of kindness from strangers these days you may get lucky .
    Shihan Stover use to make the us (the little kids and young teens) do laps around our Dojo screaming at the top of our lungs ( much harder than it looks for the record :eek: )

Sound is weapon use it as one ... Be confident in a good Dojo people will ... make sure your not too confident :D

Be well and train hard

BackFistMonkey

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  13. Kyu

Kyu New Member

SHE DOES!!!!
    its crazy....and junichi is a sinsei...bright thing...witch would mean he isnt the one who sez wazzaa!!!! the one who sez that used to take TKD...think about it...oh and andrew..lets not say any names...OK ;)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  14. shotokanwarrior

My sensei always sounds like he's screaming 'DIE!!!' I didn't realise it was such a common phenomenon.

15. sozcaps

sozcaps Valued Member

:D

If I do a kiai,it comes from the stomach, sneering and growling. One of the reasons I never considered steroids is because I'm already aggresive as it is. Unless I want to scare my opponents off before we even start fighting :)

16. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I'm with you on this one (d33p), have a sneaking suspicion that people with long extravagant ki-ais are just showboating! Like people who do a quick kizamezuki paired with a 30 second long "hhhhrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!".

17. munkiejunkie

munkiejunkie sanity's requiem

for me it is just a loud long AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!

18. Paul 100

Paul 100 New Member

If im going for speed punches etc its sort of liek a iiiiccceee or for power its like just a well i cant type it lol i jus do a grumble like ermmmmmmm KEEERRRRRRRRR or GRRRRR

19. shotokanwarrior

Hey, has anyone read The Lord of the Rings? (Ack! Serious connotations *smutty laugh*) Aragorn screams 'Elendil! Elendil!' when he's attacking the Orcs. I'm going to my last training session before Christmas this evening, I think when I'm sparring I'm just going to scream, 'ELENDIL! ELENDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLL!!!!' Or even better, his battle cry from The Two Towers (not in the movie) when he and Éomer are going to war together and he shouts 'Andúril for the Dúnedain!!!!!!!' Yeah - I'm going to yell that next time I throw a jumping kick. That would be such a laugh.

20. shitokai

shitokai New Member

Ours is more of a,

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SHAAAA