What does this symbol mean to you?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by nasigoreng, Apr 9, 2011.

1. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

What does this hand position mean to you?

I frequently encounter this hand gesture in Indonesian Silat. Different instructors tell me that the fingers represent different aspects of being a morally up-right person. For example, one teacher says the straight pointer finger represents submission to God and others represent humility, respecting others, etc...

It also occurred to me that one might hold a keris in this position with the thumb pressing on the base of the blade.

This image might also remind some people of the movie "Big Trouble in Little China" where members of a Chinese gang use this to salute each other.

Just looking to compare different interpretations.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  2. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Hey fried rice... Nice name! :)

I don't think it is part of Silat really, more a cultural or group thing...

I've seen it done a few times.

3. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Its a mudra, its closely related to this. One is to open, the other is to close, one to store, the other to release/project your energy.

It also means god ie one god

Attached Files:

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Just thought it was a greeting in that particular area of the world.

5. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Wasn't this question already asked in the kung fu section????

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

This is not the same symbol.

However,

Gutei Isshi, meaning "Gutei One-finger"

One Zen Finger

In another reference, It was used by Triads meaning "One in Brotherhood"

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  7. InHumanForm

InHumanForm Valued Member

L ? for loser?

8. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

I know its not the same symbol, I said it is related. The thumb should be in more so it makes contact with the index finger.

A symbol which is again similar (however symbolic only) can be seen if you do a google image search for St John the Baptist.

And Plato too

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  9. Shihabudeen

Shihabudeen Valued Member

symbols interpreted

peace and blessings be with you... this so-called mudra is a symbol which can be interpreted just as scripture in many different ways according to many different spiritual stations or levels... even that of an unbelieving or spiritually indifferent person... for us in our system to speak of sacred interpretations one must be careful so as not to throw one's treasure wisdom pearls and corals before swine or the irreverant lest they be trampled into the dirt, so such interpretation and sacred meanings are gaurded... for me to speak upon any matters regarding silat is to break a 20 year sequestered silence vow forced upon all the men in our silat circle while our teacher was alive...(may God Most Gracious sanctify the blessed soul of this warrior saint) silat and its secrets are sacred which is why authentic teachers do not advertise nor do they share freely with anyone who wishes to pay for lessons... as for me it took me a year to get an invitation to train with my teacher and he only taught me because he was aware of a sign from God Most Gracious that I was supposed to learn from him by divine decree... I will speak on this meaning as I will also share with you from our sacred pusakah (precious spiritual inheritance) to us the symbol means: index finger... submission to the One InComparable Creator Supreme of Skill and Knowledge Infinite without whose support there is no defense... and the thumb extended symbolizes the soul of prophecy... from which all guidance and divine wisdom is extended to mankind through divine revelation... this is also the secret behind "The Right Hand of God" which is the position of divine authority and power conferred on God's Representatives... or... the "Righteous"among humanity.
    Mudras are used to symbolize sacred truths to be meditated upon by a disciple of a guru... or "one who dispels darkness"spiritual ignorance, we know there are many blessings on the many paths and methods of meditation... but for the true silat practitioner prayer is supreme over meditation... due to its angelic invocation of divine power... when one encounters one such a warrior who is connected to divine power... he is in the presence of humbled greatness and the enemy soon to be victim as my teacher said," is going to get his feelings hurt..."

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  10. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Mudras are actually Scientific there is a "reality" behind them. Someone may attach whatever symbolic meaning to it they like but it is of no value if you don't know the reality which is always Scientific.

So you could say this mudra means god, brotherhood, one with god or look up its going to rain. All of these are wrong, the only true answer is understanding the science or reality behind such things.

To be a symbol collector is pointless but to be the collector of scientific laws has value

11. 47MartialMan

Well tell us the "scientific reality" :rolleyes:

12. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

If you don't know it, its not for me to say...for you instead I will tell you it means God ;)

13. 47MartialMan

That's not a "scientific reality" :rolleyes:

14. AndrewTheAndroid

I am not sure about scientific reality. But my Chinese GF says it just means a higher authority. She said that when the Chinese point up it refers to the government.

Not to mention as I already said, this is a duplicate thread!!!

15. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Maybe it has got to do with controlling the energy which flows through the nadi of the human body, maybe different mudras divert energy to different energy centres of the body ;)

Maybe in the end it really has nothing to do with symbolism but those who know it often give those symbolic meanings to people who are too inquisitive.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  16. AndrewTheAndroid

Do you know what "science" means?

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Maybe if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump it's bum when it hopped

18. 47MartialMan

A frog doesn't bump its bum, it has fine frog hair that helps it scoot.