What does Karate "need"?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Visage, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

yeh essentially. slight differances but essentially the same.

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Oh, thank you for the book recommendations John! Much appreciated!

There's a 6'8" guy in our club at the moment, maybe I'll gedan barai him in the nuts next lesson! :D

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I was actually thinking of the bit it share in common with Shuto Uke where the hands are raised near the head. I think the only time i'd ever use the end movement near the legs (as I think I have demoed in Trad) is when I'm actually down on the ground.

4. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

haha

but do you really want to **** off someone who is 6'8? :confused:

5. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Well if you can delay the fight they are going to get knee and back problems before you. :D Seriously delay the fight....

Actually I like fighting bigger guys - bigger targets. :cool: It's nippy little guys I'm less comfortable with.

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Ah! Interesting perspective! I hadn't really thought of it that way! Hurry up and release your book! :D

It gets worse, he's a 6'8" lawyer! So not only will knee me in the head, but he'll sue me for damages too! :D

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  7. prowla

prowla Valued Member

I'm calm!!! :)
    But I agree on the let's not get silly bit.

8. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Having had a mooch round youtube i can say with some confidence that you are wrong.
    Granted the techniques are vaguely similar as is the sequence of the kata i could find , the excecution is nothing like shotokan at all , there was very little kime , the tempo was all over the place , and i don't know where to start with the footwork!
    If these are a true reflection of tsd (a couple of the clips were highlights of kata dvds by tuttle) i can understand why you think shotokan is useless , but , believe me find a decent shotokan dojo and you will see it's nothing like that at all.