what does it all mean?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by nilknarf6, Mar 3, 2003.

1. nilknarf6

nilknarf6 New Member

my friend rob, well my sisters boyfriend is the one who got me into JKD and stuff and he reads a lot of bruce lee books and tells me stuff that it says. for instance this one thing about "the person with the weapon is at the disadvantage" and "be like water" and all that stuff ya know no form and what not. what does all this stuff exactly mean? i can relate to that weapon thing i had a bat against this kid i was gonna crack him in the leg i looked down for a second to hit him with the leg didn't see or feel the punch just woke up on the ground, if i hadn't had that bat he would have never hit me. but anyway just like what does it mean. be like water, the only form is form itself and all those things?

2. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee New Member

I have no clue you should ask Yoda he understands stuff like this since hes old and wise.

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hey! Less of the old!

LOL!

Understanding those things is a matter of time, learning & maturity of experience. if someone "tells you" what uit means then you know - but you may still not understand

Also don't forget that he was just a man - and sometimes he was (gasp!) WRONG

I've read Toa of JKD many many times over the years - and made notes in the margin. It's great to go back now after having spent the last 20+ years figuring stuff out to see notes like - "Don't get this at all" dated 1987, then an adition of "Aha! I get it!" dated 1997.

I still don't get it all! But in time I will - I don't want anyone spoiling the journey by just giving me THEIR answers - after all "Your truth is not my truth" LOL!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2003
  4. Cain

Cain New Member

Wise and old?

LMAO :D

Yoda, tired of answering eh? Take Mike Casto's advice and put up a FAQ :D

|Cain|

5. YODA

I'm not tired of answering at all Cain - In fact I think I gave a pretty good answer there - the answer I honestly feel is the correct one.

6. Cain

Cain New Member

Don't worry, you always give a good answer, the point which I wanted to make was - You are the most patient man I have ever seen till date, and I respect your viewpoints :)

PS - This post is no joke :D

|Cain|

7. YODA

Thanks Cain (((blush)))

8. nilknarf6

nilknarf6 New Member

Yoda what are some good books I can read that may help me understand better? Like I understand the general consept of most of it, I just need to put it all together and make it work!

9. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

YODA have you read the Tao te Ching??
    any thoughts. I've yet to get a proper copy of it and from what I've heard is another of those read it a hundred times and I still don't understand any of properly - that being the intention of the writings.

I get this with some of the good novels I have - everytime a read it after a break I'll notice something else about it that makes me think about things.

Just my thought on the idea - you will never understand it fully because the meaning will change every time you read it due to the changes you experience

10. YODA

Tada!!!!!!!

Correctomundo :D

Reminds me of the old often mis-sourced quote from Heraclitus (an old Greek guy)

"A man can never step in the same river twice, for he is not the same man and it is not the same river".