What does "in the guard" mean?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by pitchblack70, Nov 15, 2003.

1. pitchblack70

pitchblack70 New Member

I'm a Fuji-Ryu jujitsu student (yellow-green belt), and our style includes sports jujitsu (ie: mat grappling.)

I've been trying to supplement my training with reading, and wanted to know the basic question, what do the BJJ people mean when they talk about being in someone's guard? What's the exact concept we're discussing here? (I want to learn a few tricks on the side, go into the dojo and be impressive--and I think I need to get some theory down in order to do just that!)

Thanks in advance,

--Janet

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

3. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

Guard position is lying flat on your back and having your legs wrapped around your opponent's back or at least having there legs inside yours. If you are "in guard" then you are the person who has their opponents legs wrapped around their back.

4. pitchblack70

pitchblack70 New Member

So....is guard position a good thing?

IE: It's a good thing to have your opponent on their back, with your legs inside theirs? (Just doublechecking...)

5. YODA

No - it isn't.

6. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

no no no Terry

Flat on back is generally bad, get up on a hip ;)

7. Cyph

Cyph Banned Banned

on the street, you don't really want to have someone in you guard - they can pick you up and slam you down, punch away at you which will require a good guard so you don't hurt yourself.

the guard is deceptive, in that the person on his back looks to be in an inferior position, but the guard can be an entangling web for your opponent. there are many submissions and sweeps which can be used from the guard.

8. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

All I meant to explain was a general idea of position.

9. YODA

Good thoughts - Tres Bon in fact :D

Think about this - if you did end up on the ground in the "Street" against a bigger stronger guy - you'd probably end up with him on top anyway - better in your guard than mounted on you.

Also - I cannot think of another ground position (save knee mount which is kinda half and half) where you can see your surroundings as well or use your attacker as a shield as well.

10. Cyph

Cyph Banned Banned

i agree, i generally pull guard on bigger & stronger guys now who have some technique or a decent base since i will most likely lose the head to head takedown.

how can you see your surroundings in the guard? you can't see behind you

11. YODA

No - you cannot see behind you -neither can you when in the mount. What you can see is most other directions, without losing much sight of the guy your holding in your guard.

12. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Also if he picks you up to slam you, your most probably gonna have a field day punching his face in.

Col

13. ratman

ratman Valued Member

i tried that with a friend and found i could very easily knee him to the crown jewels each time. Can this guard techniq work on the streets. Or should it be avoided at all costs.

14. YODA

If being on your back happens (and it does) then the guard works - it's designed to work - it was developed exactly for that purpose. As for the knee in the jewels - on someone with a poor guard game that could work. On someone with a good guard game - if you opened up that much space you'd be swept or worse in an instant.

15. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

On the streets, stay on your feet. If you do get knocked down taken down, or you just stumble and fall down, the guard is where you want to be if you HAVE to be on the bottom. From there come sweeps or subs, don't trade punches, gravity hits harder than you do.

Take every possible opportunity to stand up and run.

16. Cyph

Cyph Banned Banned

"On someone with a good guard game - if you opened up that much space you'd be swept or worse in an instant."

:D:D:D

17. YODA

Good advice Trent!

Where you been BTW? We missed ya! How's the lovely Skippy? :D

18. Jay

Jay New Member

OOoooo Skippy :love:

19. YODA

I thought that would flush you out Jay :D

20. Jay