What do YOU want from the ninjutsu forum?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Moosey, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

<Please keep comments on this thread constructive, or don't post on it at all.>

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2010
  2. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

1st off as a mod I have to apologize I haven't been here much, my life has busy a very busy highway as of late.
    I am a fan of the subcatagory. Other boards have done it well. I agree with Don if you want to talk traditional then you need to have the papers so to speak and the training to back that up. Then again a modern perspective does allow those who don't prescribe to the certain organizations to ask legitamite questions about training without being hounded. I do not speak of course of political arguement but real discussion of class etc.

I am not sure why it has gotten so quiet here. It's not too active on alot of the boards which is one reason why I haven't bothered.

3. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

Which ones? The only one I can think of is the "American Ninjutsu" section martialtalk tried. They had to close it down.

In retrospect, it should have been obvious that if you tell some folks that if they can't show their version of ninjutsu is older than one generation and is unknown in Japan then they will be segregated to another section that they may get rather bitter. And if you give those bitter guys a forum to bait and attack 'traditional' ninjutsu you have to expect the end result. That result for martialtalk was a lot of people being banned in the end.

4. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

Fair enough I thought there were more and it was more successful than that. I didn't mind honestly having the seperate forums.

OK then an evenly moderated open forum for both side of the coin would be better then

5. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

What a great post Daniel! :cool:

6. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

Thanks Brian. :)

-Daniel

7. Tengu-San

Tengu-San New Member

Ninjutsu Events Sticky

Hello all,

A suggestion reviewing the forum I believe may be of value; having a sticky for Ninjutsu related events such as festivals, seminars, taikai's etc. may give people in their training and life ambition a huge push in the right direction and do some good for the art itself.

Having URL's and so forth to legitimize the event may be a good idea, or, perhaps, also having a 'training club' forum for groups around the nation and or world would be of value to people... perhaps other forums for different styles would be interested in the same?

Food for thought...

8. jameswhelan

jameswhelan Valued Member

Mods,

As per Frodocious's recent warning to this subforum (which some of you thanked), please just delete posts with personal insults rather than locking threads which contain such posts.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  9. KawasakiNinja

KawasakiNinja Valued Member

Entirely agree. Also, can we make better use of the "alarm" button at the top of the post (the warning triangle) to report offensive posts, and use "thanks" to encourage and reward good behaviour / posts.

There also needs to be recognition and control of "off-topic" posts and be careful they don't totally swamp the thread. Although they are often very enlightening, they also often head down well worn tracks and the original thread is lost.

10. jameswhelan

I got chewed out by one of the mods for over-using and/or mis-using (it wasn't clear) the report function, even though well in excess of half the posts I reported got edited. I asked twice for examples of which reports were unwarranted but just got a vague response that the mods would prefer for the report function to be used less.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think you might usefully examine this section of TOS in light of your most recent reported post, for example.

4.15 Reporting Posts and Private Messages
    The report post function is there to serve as an efficient way of notifying the moderators that there is a post or private message that clearly breaks the Terms of Service. Abuse of this function includes, but is not limited to, using it to report posts or messages (by a member with whom you may have a disagreement) that do not actually break the Terms of Service. Repeated abuse may result in sanctions (see 5.5 and 5.6).

If you need further guidance on the use of the report post button then please PM any member of the Mod team :)

mitch

12. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

how about just ban RP???

13. Mitch

If he breaks TOS, report it.

Mitch

14. jameswhelan

Nah, that's k.

So how about more deleting and less locking?

15. Mitch

4.6 Attacking MAP Moderators & Administrators:
    Posting a thread or reply to question or criticize moderator or administrator action is not appropriate in a public forum. Please utilize the board’s Private Message function, or email, if you wish to discuss these issues.

I have just replied to a PM from a board member and I hope they were satisfied with what I said.

Just to point this out again to everyone: do not post personal attacks. If someone attacks you, report it. If someone attacks someone else, report it. Do not attack them back, report and let the Mods deal with it.

Will we ban someone who continually makes attacks against a background of courtesy? Hell yes. They'll stand out like a sore thumb.

Will we wade through yet another thread with pages and pages and pages of playground namecalling day after day by multiple posters? Honestly? No. We'll lock threads.

The community has a choice as to how it runs. Over to you. :)

Mitch

16. jameswhelan

Thanks for that.

17. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

I take this to mean that if someone makes an insult, we should report it asap. That way it is easier for the mods to take notice and note who is causing the trouble. If it does not rise to TOS violation, then we can expect a note to that effect so we know better what to report and what not to report.

Am I correct in thinking this?

18. Mitch

I don't understand what you are seeking to achieve with that post? The Map Mod team is not your enemy. Why misquote me in a provocative manner?

Mitch

19. Mitch

I think that sums it up.

Report posts that break TOS. Don't report posts which are within TOS. Don't post against TOS yourself.

I don't think it needs a legal definition, it just needs some common sense.

I can't promise action will be immediate or follow your perceptions. I can't promise you will get a PM back within 30 minutes or anything like that.

But I can promise that all reports are read and help build a picture. This is how MAP works and it works for all the other boards.

If anyone wants to discuss it, PM a Mod.

mitch

20. jameswhelan

I asked the mods to delete delete the rubbish out of threads rather than lock them. You indicated you'd prefer to lock. I thanked you for clarifying that.