What do you think is the most practical 'street' weapon?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Weasel, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Anthony Shore

Anthony Shore New Member

Where on earth did you get that from? It sounded to me as if he was in agreeance with that philosophy and was commending those who suggested such...you obviously read things into the statement that were simply not there.

2. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

I think it depends on your situation/location.

Like some members have said about carrying a legal cane or walking stick....in some situations it would be, awkward. Especially if your outward appearance doesn't automatically warrant the use of a walking aid.

Some members have mentioned picking up weapons of opportunity like car antennas, trash can lids or bottles. Again...the situation, I believe, is influenced by location. Living in a large city might make the above items more accessible than a smaller city.

Some members have mentioned weapons; which I personally don't see how they could be very accessible street weapons...as your question asked....such as pipes/chains and swords.

Belts have been mentioned and I think are a very reasonable and accessible weapon. A belt can be taken off quickly and among the normal attacks such as flicking and trapping....if the belt is rolled around your hand a couple of times with the buckle about 12" away you can generate some impressive centrifugal force....sort of like 12" nunchaku.

Again...I think, it comes down to what would be perceived as ok to carry in your location/situation.

Your location is rural Wisconsin. You could put your wallet in one pocket and a pair of 6" pliers in the other. Whatever you get a hold of they won't be happy. :)

3. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Lol, how true.

As for me, I'm a security guard part-time, so I have my nightstick and Maglite on hand. We don't have the proper licencing for firearms, so my tonfa training helps quite a lot.

4. red_primate

red_primate New Member

A friend of friend was "boot partied" by a group of skins. Ended up in the emergency room with broken bones (ribs, nose, extremities), split skull (skin requireing stiches) in multiple places, and a concussion.

Shoes can REALLY f- someone up. Especially alot of them with steel toes, drunk, and angry.

5. ryangruhn

ryangruhn Valued Member

Cell Phones & Keys.

6. Miran

Miran Valued Member

Hidden,effective,no sweat!!!

I always said it was shuko (hand clawas or tiger claws) but nobody listens!...

7. SpinStorm

SpinStorm Valued Member

probably single or double escrima sticks at a guess, as I imagine would be quite easy to aquire in lots of places..

8. ryangruhn

ryangruhn Valued Member

You mean things that resemble sticks right?

9. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

no of course not. sticks and stick like objects are like super rare..........

10. SpinStorm

SpinStorm Valued Member

anything generally long and hard that you can whack someone with really
    :D

11. akira2000

akira2000 Valued Member

Manriki-gusari is considered as one of the most practical street weapons .

(manriki-gusari = chain with power of 10000!!!).It is very practical, because you can even wear it as a belt. And because you can wound your enemy without serious harm. This weapon was a "gentle" samurai's weapon. When there was no need to cut someone with katana, they used this "gentle" weapon just to "warn" the enemy. But dont think that manriki-gusari cant be used for serious harm. If you are a pro, enemy can be killed with a single hit. Manriki-gusari is also very practical weapon for choking, blocking, throwing and a lot of another good stuff :D

Its structure is very simple. Its a 0.7-1 meter chain,with two light weights , one on each end.

The manriki-gusari schools I heard of: sindo-ryu, hikida-ryu, hoen-ryu,toda-ryu.
    GOOD LUCK

12. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

ok, here me out with this one....stall the laughter til after....that rythmed! heh....mine is a packet of polo mints.....or any tube-like packet of hard sweets....they act like a kobotan, and who going to run to the police saying he beat me up with a packet of minty boiled sweets!?? They cannot be construed as offensive, always stick a packet in your jacket....hehe more rythme.....so they easy to get. best 30p i ever spent!

13. Chruffin

Chruffin Valued Member

Good call, Silat. The only weapon I've ever carried on me is a pen. You can use it like a Kobotan and it makes a nasty stab if you punch with it between your knuckles.

And, like the pack of polo's, no-one can construe it as a lethal weapon...

14. TCS

TCS New Member

Personally I like a CD, you can easily carry multiple, and they make excelent throwing weapons, and are usually well balanced thanks to their normal function, however if I were to be required to get close I would probably take the pen.

Of course, it's always best to avoid these situations entirely...

15. Jak H

Jak H New Member

One of my favorite practical street weapons is the Three Sectional Retractable Telescopic Baton. This short, solid baton telescopes out from a compact, easy to carry, item. These batons are popular for self defense and are quite practical. You can get them in the full 16", or full 22", they have a foam handle...Look below!

Attached Files:

16. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

anything you can use, sand, mud, rock, gravel, bottle, bat, whatever. i dunno if there is an ideal one.

17. andy jack

andy jack New Member

How about instead of practicing martial arts in the dojo you practice it at all times. By this I mean that you should be sufficiently aware of your surroundings and situations at all times and therefore should recognise potential trouble before it occurs!

Use your brain.

18. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

Q:What do you think is the most practical 'street' weapon?

A: a car

19. Kouros

Kouros New Member

i wold have to go the knife because it is kinda esy to carry around and its very lethel even in the hands of one that dosent know how to use it.

20. olson720

olson720 New Member

41" Aluminum softball bat