What do you make of Goshin Atemi Jujitsu?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Sandy, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Wjjf and british jiu jitsu association are always a little dodgy as neither has a legit lineage and both qualify various styles of jiu jitsu without really having a criteria that can be identified.

Another thing is that no other MAs honour your grades from another martial art unless they are linked e.g judo and bjj or across styles of karate

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Well the instructor is "inducted into Masters Hall OF Fame as : ‘LIVING LEGEND’.
    What more do you need to know?

:(

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The.knife defence in the video actually pulled the knife into the defender.
    Not good.

5. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

I'm sorry, but I know nothing about the fellow or his art. However, it has been my experience that anyone worth training with does not need to try so very hard to impress people. Folks like that leave a bad taste in my mouth.

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

That video looks like any other sample video. My concern would be the lineage, as in, "Who else does this? Does anybody else do this style?"

The name "Atemi Jujitsu" sounds completely phony, and the bio sheet does not tell me who started it or when. When I Google "Robert Clarke" all I find is a guy who declared himself a 9th dan without any backing. He's obviously a marketing genius -- he deserves a 9th dan in marketing, come on -- but his club totally smells like a fraud.

Sorry.

7. Jumonkan

Jumonkan Valued Member

I love this quote "There is no single or pure form of Jujitsu, it exists as a collection of close quarter combat techniques and manouvers designed to immobilise a would be attacker." While true I tend to disagree Takanoichi Ryu is probably the single most pure form of Jujutsu in existants today. It is the oldest after all and just about every surviving school in Japan comes from them. I'd call that one pure form.

8. rne02

rne02 Valued Member

My thoughts exactly, when I first saw that I did a double take.

His style seems to be built around the concept of kicking people in the bollocks.

youtube.com/watch?v=sy5RlbcPN6g&feature=player_embedded#!

9. evva

evva Valued Member

Hi i just have to comment on this thread as one of Geoff Harris's students. Im sure most videos dont show a lot of clubs in their true light.In fact im sure many would agree many videos show clubs as better than they are.Then there is always the fact everyone sees things differently and has a different view point.
    I read with interest some of the comments about Geoff Harris, in fact some made me laugh out loud.Yes he is a hall of fame but what can you do if someone awards you something ? Do you rudely say no i dont want it or graciously accept ? You also need to ask why this was awarded by someone on the otherside of the world to the club ? Perhaps it is because his skill impressed them ?

As for the lineage of the club, well personally i couldnt careless.If you keep looking over your shoulder you dont notice what is in front of you and trip up.

What i do know is that after 25 years plus in martial arts I can honestly say this club is exceptional in its standards.The standards are set extremely high.Many of the students have first hand experience of using this stuff on the street in their various lines of work, myself included.

I personally see the club as of bruce lees mindset, absorb what is useful etc.

Everybody is an indivdual as is every attacker.You could practice the same move time and time again and your feet may end up in a little bit of a different position each time because your balance was slighty off etc.With Geoffs style this doesnt matter as this is how we train,we accept it will be a slightly different each time and learn to adapt with it.

Although i have trained in other styles im still allowed to apply what i already have learned into this style, nothing is set in stone, its an indvidual thing.In fact many of the students have practised other styles and ended up here.

There is no bull,its friendly and everyone trains with serious intent.You grade when it suits not because the instructor needs some extra $$££ that month.

Ive trained at a lot of places and this really is a seriously brutally effective style of jujitsu and ive seen nothing else like it anywhere else.

Anyone doubting the styles effectiveness only has to come along for a lesson to see for themselves,everyone is welcome on the mats.

10. Mangosteen

it has no traceable origins linked to japan or a jujutsu ryu and it declares itself a jujitsu? isn't that fraud?

so the issue here would be - why train with someone who is fraudlent about what they teach?

it would be fine if they said it was a martial art theyve made up (whether or not if it works - thaat would be the truth) but passing it off as a style of jujitsu when we cant find any evidence of it makes it absolutely fraudlent to attract people with false advertising.

11. evva

evva Valued Member

How sad because somebody hasn't looked into something enough that they should label it as something ?

Surely my experience in martial arts (far more than your own age btw ) would have me running for the hills if I thought Geoff was a fraud ?

Unfortunately far too many are caught up in lineage , grades and what association you belong to rather than attaining skill from those who have it.

It doesn't matter what association you belong to where it came from or what day it is it comes down to if you can do it. If you are attacked where does lineage come into it at that moment in time ? Do you honestly believe it matters when someone is trying to pound your head in ?

If you have trained with Geoff then you are entitled to have a genuine opinion based on an experience but a keyboard warrior should refrain from making such unfounded statements based on very little research .

12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Time in is not necessarily an indication of knowledge. There are plenty out there who have spent years studying nonsense. Just as there are plenty of switched on new guys.

So maybe you should think before you try and disparage people simply based on their age.

Lineage shows where the system has come from, its roots and the process of its development. These are important things if you want to understand what you are studying.

Also Zaad isn't on about an association etc, he is referring to whether the system has any actual connections to a system of Jujutsu or if it is a mishmash hybrid of disparate styles.

There are plenty of skilled people out there, unfortunately honest ones are getting all the more rare.

You miss his point.

If you claim to teach something then you should be able to show you are teaching what you claim.

It is about personal integrity.

Oh dear oh dear. How about trying to address the point instead of attacking those asking the questions? Your present attitude makes you look foolish and ignorant.

So why not enlighten us?

What is the background of the system you study? Where are its roots?

If, I say if because I don't know if it does, it claims to have a Japanese background then which ryu-ha is it from?

For the record we can have an opinion based on the information, or lack of, put forward in the public domain. However you are here now so I'm sure you would be more than willing to clear up any misunderstandings?

One thing to keep in mind though. Attacking your critics is a poor way of proving your point, your position should be able to stand on its own merits, as should the system you study.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  13. Mangosteen

not sure if you read my post but what i asked wasnt whether he had skill. i asked if he has any training in an actual ju jutsu style or whether it was something he made up.

if he made it up then fine but it would be fraud to sell it as ju jutsu.

i wouldnt want to train bjj from a fake black belt because his fraud would reflect on me as gullible, however if he had skill and taught it as his own style of submission grappling then i see no issue..

no need to pull some bull crap about rank or keyboard warriors. i followed simple reasoning.

would you call a guy claiming to teach tkd as a blackbelt but has no teaching originating from that style or has actually trained in tkd to be a TKD teacher? i suspect you wouldnt.

question your sources to knowledge

14. Dead_pool

If you look at geoff harris's Bio here:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...44D4Aw&usg=AFQjCNFCtJjQegaX64MDeHo7FMOOeczz1g

You will see misrepresentation like:

Trained with Robert Clark 9th dan Hontai Yoshin Ryu.

If you rememberthe 80's, Mr clark claimed to be a 9th dan in Hontai Yoshin Ryu when he set up the WJJF, after a while it became apparent he was faking his training background, which was all interlinked to when the Juko Kai (who helped set up the WJJF) got sued.

http://www.e-budokai.com/jukokai/index.htm

15. Dean Winchester

I think in Mr Harris's defence we need to keep in mind that he may not be completely clued up on all of that?

Either way it doesn't change anything as far as Mr Clark and his background goes, so there is still and issue of what was actually studied with him.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  16. Dead_pool

Agreed, Im just showing that nothing should ever be taken at face value, and that questions should always be welcomed by the honest.

17. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

This statement

And this statement

Don't really tally.
    Surely anyone with 25 years experience knows that these "halls of fame" simply require your cheque to clear , nothing to do with skill.

18. Mangosteen

hm... the organisations he does have gradings in are quite... odd...
    the BJJA being particularly peculiar

hm... im wondering what he has actually trained in that has some traceable origins e.g. any gendai?

does done some classes with danny guba but ive done a couple classes with lagarto - that dosnt make me his student or ranked by him. could have been a seminar.

19. evva

evva Valued Member

Unfortunately you cannot hear the tone in which I'm writing so I'm am being misunderstood. I have no interest in lineage as its unimportant to me. I only care about learning stuff that works and Geoffs system works, that us in no doubt.

I m not on the attack but I see a lot of unfair previous comments based on google it seems not actual firsthand experience of the club being discussed.

I only mentioned my age as it has been implied I'm training with a fraud, do you think that's fair in itself ? With age you do gain some experience in life, do you not ?

Any how it appears unless I discuss history people have made up their minds on the club doesn't it ?

Come along and give it a go then you can have a experienced based opinion of it.

20. Dean Winchester

I had Noguchi Sensei (Bujinkan) laugh at me once, does that count?

Edit: I should add it was in a good natured way, don't want anyone getting the wrong idea about what in saying.