What do you like best in your training?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Din, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Din

Din 3rd dan

i was just wondering which part of your training do you enjoy the most. Is it the fitness training, basics, forms, sparring etc.etc.
    As for myself i enjoy doing forms and trainning for sparring.
    :woo:

2. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Went to the World Champs last year with the Scottish Team. Nothing beats the buildup to that both training and mentally.

Wicked :D

When you step in for team sparring it's a big rush ;) :D

Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  3. Picksey

Picksey New Member

Taking your question at face value, I'd probably say kata... but I'm a firm believer in variety being the spice of life so I'd probably get bored pretty quickly if my training wasn't varied. I get my biggest highs from really being pushed at basics/traditional, or from a full-out bag session.

But to really say what I enjoy most about training I'd have to look at the bigger picture, and not just at individual training sessions. There's the fact that I'm learning a skill, I'm keeping myself fit and healthy physically and mentally, and I'm spending time with people I like and with whom I have something in common despite the different walks of life we come from.

4. merlinmsk

merlinmsk Yeah....

i would have to say forms and weapons. i love to do my forms, i put a lot of power into them. i also love to do weapons training. i always loved to use weapons, no matter what it may be.

5. shinguards

shinguards Valued Member

i would say the way that it clears my mind, ie. if i've been stressed at work or something and haven't been training, i feel tired and lathargic (spelling?), but then after training, i feel good and have lots of energy and my mind is clear. it helps me do what i do better because it unblocks all the stress, etc that has been building up inside

6. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

The great 'tired' feeling I get after a workout is through, being tired but not exhausted and knowing that I've got a lot of good work done.

7. TKD18

TKD18 New Member

Sparring with the instructor, a good kicking always keeps you in check...

8. Picksey

Picksey New Member

:D Yep, I'll go with that - got a tender cheek bone right now to remind me!

9. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

sparring with good sparring partners. I am a addict and will spar anyone :). I perfer stand up but ground is also a ton of fun for me as well.

10. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i have to say that i like doing everything because every aspect of the training or martial art requires dedication and hard work and hopefully aiming for perfection.
    but as someone has already mentioned it, preparing for competitions gives you such an adrenaline kick that you get addicted. i looooove sparring.

11. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

hitting pads is my favourite. you are supposed to hit them as hard as you can wahey!

12. Ash

Ash Valued Member

Oooops, soz.....

13. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

It has changed over time. At first when I started karate (yeah, I know this is in TKD forum but still applicable), I enjoyed the fitness the most because I was sadly soft and wussy. As I have progressed I started to like the sparring which terrified me at first because I had no clue. In fact I have to say now it is one of my favorite parts of class. Same with forms (kata) at first I liked them okay because it gave me a nice cool down from class and was kind of challenging memorizing all of the moves. Now I love kata because I appreciate what is there to learn and how the same katas have challenged me for years-and there is always more to learn.

14. beta_b

beta_b New Member

Really enjoy tough training sessions, where you leave with muscles aching - I don't know, I just feel really satisfied at that point...

Especially enjoy sparring and thinking up combinations for sparring and step sparring with other class members.

15. Din

Din 3rd dan

yeah i miss that feeling ....

16. Mujuk Striker

Mujuk Striker New Member

I really enjoy(ed) physical strengthening and flexiblty... followed up by some target speed/coordination and heavy bag power training. It gets kinda boring kicking in the air after a long time...

17. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Endorphins Rawk! ;)

18. Darkflames21

Darkflames21 New Member

I love every part of my taekwondo class, especially the body training exercises.

19. FireMedic

FireMedic New Member

I'd have to say a mix so far. I love sparring. But I as well love the burn after the workout of repetisious kicks punches ect. across the dojo and back. But most of all, I'd say I like the comraderie with the club members and my Sabomnim is prob the greatest person I have met to date. He is a school teacher as well and I wish I would have had more teachers like him.

20. Griff-WalesTKD

Griff-WalesTKD New Member

I feel if I don't leave the dojang feeling completely exhausted, I feel that I've let myself down. Laterly of course, due to injury this is the feeling I mostly get. When I was fit I used to arrive at least 10 mins before the class started and run laps, just to get the heart pumping. At 33yrs, the warm-up takes a lot longer than it used to and with a lot of youngsters in the class who, I must say don't need as much of a warm-up this is something I have to do myself. The best thing I like about training is, when you're nice and warm, muscles relaxed and all your techniques are performed with ease. Working on the pads trying to improve your speed and hitting the bag for the power.... God how I miss it!!!! Nice!