What do you hit?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Blunt Blade, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Blunt Blade

Blunt Blade Valued Member

What do you use to develop attributes such as power. My first tool is currently a stack of car tyres, they seem to be doing the job at the moment, especially as they were free.

Originally I was going to buy a punch bag or a wavemaster. I was reluctant to spend the cash as I am unsure of the longevity of such things after beng hit by sticks and training knives.

What is your experience of how long different pieces of equipment last?

What would you recommend as a tool to hit and why? I know the best tool is another human, but I am afraid the recommendations must be inanimate.

Paul

2. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

For power, I use to hit tires I hung in the garden till recently. Then an outbreak of dengue hit the area and I got rid of them. Tires are breeding grounds for mosquitoes. Now I just hit anything hard - the wall, a post, a tree trunk. I also hang a bunch of rattan sticks to simulate a moving (swaying) target to develop pin-point acuracy and speed. The most fun, though, is to dress up a partner in armor, and I have a 'punching bag' that moves and occasionally hits back. Of course, we have to take turns so he can have fun too.

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

A wavemaster, 35# bag, speed bag.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Hey Kwaj, I didn't know you did FMA :confused:

I would worry about a wavemaster surviving to long against sticks. My Instructor has just bought a tyre stack! They're great! :D

5. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

To also state what Red say's: For power and grip you cant beat the tyre stack or a single tyre hanging from a rope.

For mobility a stick hanging from a rope, it reacts unusually to striking, try it you'll see.

For accuraccy you can either use a ball suspended from string and get your training partner to hold his/her stick out and try to hit just the tip of the stick.

And yes! dress a fool....erm! I mean training partner in some armour and get them to move around and spar, spar, spar.

Best regards

Pat

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i almost expected to see pat post:

"what do i hit? see them students over there? yep! see them guys gearing up for black eagle? yep, them too" :D

7. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Yeah I try to hit Freeform as often as possible. He is mobile and able to tell me later which hits were the most painful. :)

8. Freeform

The ones from behind when you're doing that damn 2 v 1 drill :eek:

"Where'd the other guy go?"

BAM!!! :eek:

:D

9. Pat OMalley

That thoguth had crossed my mind but I was thinking of saving that one for later after the poor chap tried the tyre stack etc and then asked for more advise, but hey you let the cat out of the bag yet again hehehe!

I tried to hit Freeform too the last time I met him but boy can he run. Something along the lines of "I would love to spr with you Pat, but I got to go wash the dishes NOW!" Ah well, maybe next time eh Freeform.

Best regards

Pat

10. Brunstick

Brunstick (^_^) I need a girlfriend

i like hitting on women, but that's a different story. :p

i also hit my sparring partners, and they hate me for doing that.

oh, i also hit tires. :D

-nico-

11. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

I find tyres are good fun and a quick way to improving your grip, strength and speed, as they have some give back and bounce to them that you grip tighter and you get a fair bit of vibration which improves your muscle tone a treat......and the best thing of all is they are so big, you cannot miss them.
    I would say they can be a bit easy though to the point that you can train all day on them.

Whereas a 6ft punch bag is pretty good to use too, but alot more absorbent, which can tire you out and has a similar feeling to hitting a person. (squishy, well they are when I have finished with them)
    A good idea is to mark areas with tape to give yourself zones to aim for.

ie. wrap tape all the way round at shoulder height and at waist height to provide head, torso and leg areas and then mark other areas with X's like kidneys, knee caps, ears, whatever takes your fancy. This helps to improve your accuracy. Even put a couple of X's on the floor to resemble feet, for the occasional strike.

But don't just strike the bag with your stick, get your checking hand working with palm strikes and punches, this also gives the bag a bit of life with movement. Making it all the harder and more fun.

I bought a cheap 6ft PVC bag for about £20 because I was worried that it might not withstand the constant battering from my stick whether an expensive one or not, but that was 9 years ago and I have still got it with hardly any noticeable damage (and don't anyone say, I can't be training hard enough). A deffinate good buy, I think.

Lots of love :love:

Lucy

12. Blunt Blade

Blunt Blade Valued Member

Lucy, does your bag hang from a bracket attached to a wall or is it free standing? If it is attached to wall, what is the residual noise through the house like?

Paul

13. Lucy O'Malley

When I used to live in a small house on my own, I had it hung up on a wall bracket, and the only wall I could put it on was the wall connecting to my Neighbours.

But what I done in these circumstances was had it slightly touching the floor so it was not constantly swinging and banging the wall, but there was still some movement. But I found with kicking and punching it could cause a racket.

With it on the floor I would say the hits were more of a dull thud when using for stick training which did not carry through the house too much and the neighbours never said anything, maybe they were too scared to, I don't know.

But when I moved it too the club, I still had it on a wall bracket but elevated from the floor and in a large room....this carries a higher pitched noise for quite a long way.

It really depends on the rooms accoustics. You will probably find in a house with soft furnishings the noise will not carry far. But the thud against the wall may be more noticeable.

Does not help you much, I know. Perhaps a free standing one in a house would be the least noisey.

And lots and lots of sound proofing round the walls :rolleyes: ....hey a padded sell might be good. :D

Lucy

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  14. Airyu

Airyu Valued Member

Great ideas from everyone!

In addition to the tires, heavy bags, trees etc...I also utilize a wooden man, made out of 6in X 6in beam with oak posts for arms etc. I duct tape padding over the unit and smack it until it hurts!

Gumagalang
    Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

15. shootodog

shootodog restless native

the true answer of lucy:

"what do i hit? pat for starters. maybe freeform"

16. Lucy O'Malley

If you want something Dense to hit. :D get one of your own.

And sound proofing is a must with these, with earphones/protection as they tend to let out a high pitched scream.

And the tears afterwards, well you need to invest in a mop and bucket.

Although they can be rather high maintenance, I recommend everyone gets one. You cannot get such a true reaction from anything else, the realism is almost unbelievable, but you may need to invest in some good quality running shoes too, as there will be alot of chasing involved.

Excellent for fitness.

The only downfall with mine is they are not very good at hitting back :woo:

Lucy

17. Pat OMalley

That's fighting talk:bang: Oh! wait a minute... Whats that?

Dam wheres my running shoes:eek:

Back later:eek:

Hello my dear how was you morning?

Me! no I have just got in myself so I have not had the chance to go on MAP:eek:

No don't do that.

That's it I'm off:cry:

18. Freeform

Runs even faster than when Pat was after him!!!

Sorry Pat, but I find your lovely wife scarier than you! ;)

Hi Lucy! Was that a pint you wanted or just my car keys? :eek: