What do you guys that lift think about the use of "support" aids

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TKDDragon, Mar 26, 2014.

1. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I don't lift heavy enough to use straps and supports. I think anything less than 2x bodyweight on squats and deadlift is unneccessary. I remember reading an article on Dan John's blog about how lifting belts open up the wearer to risk of hernia. I dunno, each to their own I guess. I don't let any of my karate athletes use aids, but then they don't lift heavier than 2x BW :p

3. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

raw bench press record: Eric Spoto 722 lbs

assisted (bench shirt): 1,100LBS Tiny Meeker - 12/14/2013. If you watch the vid he had to have someone help him put his hands on the bar.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DEOsJup1bw&safe=active"]WORLD RECORD BENCH PRESS - 1,102LB -- Tiny Meeker - YouTube[/ame]

4. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Too me that seem artificial though not as bad as the first video where the kid couldn't even bend his knees on approach to the squat. I'm more impressed by the raw lifts.
    Anyone know about any health/safety benefits of the compression gear and wraps?

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I train with a few power lifter both geared and ungeared but they all train in the ungeared fashion apart from occasionally knee wraps and straps.
    Suits are part of their sport. It's like the gi for bjj.

6. righty

righty Valued Member

The gear will help prevent injury if lifting in them. For example the knee wraps will help keep your knees and everything inside them in the correct position. This is of course offset by the fact you are moving heavier weights while using them.

While 'compression' may be a related word it's not quite right for this, if you want more information or background then have a search for 'equipped lifting' as that is what it is called. Equipped lifting is a different sport or at least division to 'raw' powerlifting competition and wearing powerlifting 'equipment' such as this is very different to slapping on your favourite underarmour gear and lifting a barbell.

Of course you have to be strong to be successful in either but different aspects become more or less important depending on which division you are lifting in. Equipped lifting is generally thought of as being more technical than raw. There is much much more to it than a strong raw lifter wearing a few extra layers of special clothing and automatically lifting way more.

I haven't been able to get the video in the original article to work for me so all I can judge by are the numbers and the written part of the article. Obviously this is a strong kid and a great athlete, but remember he is breaking records at a state level in the equipped division (far fewer competitors compete equipped compared to raw) also in the junior age category (reduces the number of competitors even more) of a particular powerlifting federation (there are a number around a each has their own records list - the article does not state which federation this competition was in).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  7. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I also don't currently lift heavy enough to need any sort of gear. I'm of the opinion that if you are lifting so heavy that you can't do it without aids, just drop the weight and focus on form and more difficult angles. But I may change my mind in the future as I learn more.

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I know raw lifters who would say using straps and gloves is as bad as using a squat suit :)
    As already stated geared lifting is a different sport from raw lifting, part of the issue is most of the writing on strength building is from geared lifters (rate, Westside etc) which is not that useful for rawlifters.. there are also different levels of geared lifting, single ply, double etc lifting in a single ply suit is way different from a gangsta suit for example, the best way to judge a geared lifters relative strength is in the deadlift as its the hardest lift to get assistance on, hence a lot of the really heavily geared lifters bench more than they deadlift.
    As for the reasons to use gear it was originally brought in for safety reasons and to help prolong a lifters career, knee sleeves or wraps to keep the knees warm and the pertella in the correct place, compression shorts to help the hips, bench shirt to take pressure of the shoulders...all sound reasoning and then it got out of hand, the good news is that raw lifting is on the rise and the popularity of geared lifting is falling rapidly . But then we will have the old arguements again: are knee raps raw, are sleeve allowed, is it raw if you use a belt etc :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Lifting naked is the only solution.

10. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

I used to have the opinion that gloves and straps fall into the same category until the bar took to tearing the callouses on deadlift. Not a huge fan of gloves and straps but it keeps me at the same weight without severe exfoliation.

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Use chalk, it's a much better option.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I wear a belt when I deadlift, I find that it helps me keep in posture and as well the psychological effect that I seem to be able to lift heavier with it on and prevent injury to my back.

My gym has banned chalk due to some users not doing a wipe down post workout. So as much as I want to use chalk, its straps and gloves. Altho I dont wear them anymore.

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Have you tried 'Liquid Chalk', it's not a perfect substitute for the real thing but probably better than straps and gloves.

14. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I sick a slingshot on now and again, it allows me to take my 1rm for sets of 6-8, great for overload and confidence.

other than that all my lifts are done sans belt, wraps or straps with the exception of shrugging which I strap up on, shrugging with a mixed grip is a great way to tear a bicep and my traps are far stronger than my grip, ergo straps.

15. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Really then you need to look at the quality and efficiency of your deadlift instead.

Because IF you're running the risk of injuring your lower back - Then potentially your deadlift form is a tad wrong. And you're - potentially - putting too much shearing pressure through your lower back.

Check the position of your shoulders in relation to the bar. You could be deadlifting 'all back and no legs'. And that'll screw you up.

Helf N Safety...

Seconded on the Liquid Chalk. A tad easier to clean up. And will stop callus ripping.

Good Luck

16. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

That's what mine has done as well including the liquid version. A lot of gyms seem to be actively discouraging some lifts any more.

17. seiken steve

Honestly I don't know how you guys are managing to rip callouses deadlifting.

The only way I've managed to tear them up is farmers/frame walks.

Manage your hands guys, they're the only pair you'll get, I cant think of anything less rational than your entire body missing training because a 1x1cm patch of skin.

FWIW I rarely use chalk in my own gym, suddenly when cleaning up was my own duty chalk seemed less essential, lol.

18. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

For me it is usually the result of fading grip strength on the final set combined with aggressive checkering on the bar. Slips just enough at the pinky and ring finger to file the callouses with the checkering on the bar. In fact its only on the last set that I use the straps and gloves typically

19. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Find a better gym.

20. seiken steve

file them with an emery board, they shouldn't be getting caught.

Its a simple issue of management, I have never lost a callous on a straight bar, is your bar 28 or 32 mm?