What do yall think of this?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by 8limbs38112, Mar 8, 2014.

1. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

http://sekenpo.com/

What is the Southeastern Kenpo Karate JuJitsu Brotherhood Association and what kind of kenpo karate do they teach. I'm wondering if this is worth checking out. And if they teach American Kenpo they are definitely worth checking out/

2. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

I wouldn't study there.
    They come across as a bunch of arrogant jerks and I don't believe a word of their given "history" of Kenpo.

3. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

thaanks I thought similar. But what they posted that sounded arrogant came from black belt magazine, they didnt write it. I try to stay away from systems i never even heard of

4. crunchthenubers

crunchthenubers New Member

Southeastern Kenpo Karate Ju-jitsu Brotherhood Association was form in 1983 after breaking away from http://www.cha3kenpo.com/ in order to revise and add in and take away techniques as seen fit. Focuses on all ranges of self-defense with clubs in Jackson(Professor's Dojo) and Memphis TN, Murray and Louisville KY, Clemson SC, Ashville NC, Huntsville and Gurley AL, Dallas TX, Belize, Metropolis IL.

We focus on all ranges of combat and continuously updating and evaluating the curriculum.

Clubs are non-commercial

more information can be found at http://sekenpo.com/sekenpo.html

5. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

My opinion is that place looks pretty lame.

The photo titled 'successfull defense against a long stick attack ' is just a guy bent at the waist not even looking at his attacker

The "video" (doesn't work) titled 'chief instructor watley demonstrating techniques of for boxer roundhouse defence' shows a complete lack of understanding of how to punch and how to defend against it. It appears to be a jab being held out, not a boxer roundhouse punch (hook?) and ducking that low is not something I'd recomend.

The whole thing screams larper to me. Hey may be nice folks and all but it doesn't look like they actualy know what they are doing (at least from what they show on their web site). They all look very smart posing in their belts and such in their nice looking dojo but doesn't seem to be much real substance behind that.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  6. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Its weird, pretty much bottom line.

7. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

The 90's called and they want basic HTML web pages back. That looks so much like a con job.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Care to expand?

It's easy to be critical from your armchair, but con job is a strong statement that needs substantiating.

9. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

That may have been inappropriately harsh on my part. Point taken.

And armchair? I wish we got issued chairs with arms :cry:

10. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

12. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

CHA 3 Kenpo Karate rocks, IMHO. My instructor started in CHA 3. Professor Marino Tiwanak and down from that generation were tough. I don't think I would last seventeen seconds training the way they did back then.

Our brown belt requirements has a bunch of things from CHA 3. I recognized the rolls in the demo video (thanks for posting).

I wouldn't say whether to train or not at the SEKKJBA based on a demo. It would be more about Ohana to train.

I did see a lot of movements in the demo that I consider bad habits. Expected from the lower belts but I didn't like some of the stuff I saw from the higher ups. For example, the head turns to look behind. I'm curious why they learned it that way. Interested in the principles behind it.

In the demo, curious to know why they turn their head turns differently than what I've been taught.

Edit: I'm creating a different thread to discuss head turning. More or less, if you look, you should be aligned to attack. Looking and not being aligned to attack is like having a firearm with no bullet in the chamber.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  13. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Why do they turn their heads after executing various movements?

Baza

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Probably to ingrain the idea that violence can often involve more than one person and that just because they've done in the first person doesn't mean there isn't someone about to pitch in. So they are checking for blindside attacks.
    I quite like the idea though they do it a little robotically and without much thought.
    I've been taught the same in a Krav class (which they called "checking the area").

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

16. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

What PASmith said. There is a principle in Kajukenbo, same in CHA 3 Kenpo Karate, "always assume there could be multiple attackers and they could have weapons".

Most of the forms are practiced with this principle in mind, but forms can also be practiced to emphasize other principles more depending on the lesson plan.

The part about checking an area is the way they do it. IMHO, you don't want to move back and look like they did. Instead, move forward and circle so that you can keep the enemy in your sights (particular see their hands) as you check your blindside.

For a more immediate threat sensed on the blindside, with the head check should be the alignment to be able to change direction at any time and immediately "pounce"/attack. IMHO.