What did you get embroided on your first dan belt?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Jayla, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Jayla

Jayla Valued Member

Taking my first dan grading in December, not being big headed but I'm reasonably confident I'll pass it, hence asking this question.

I've got a nice silk belt I've had a few years (slacked off a bit back then :p ) and wondering what people did for their first belt.

Thinking of style in japanese down one side, then name in japanese down the other

2. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I personally think having a name embroidered on a BB looks alot less cool then just a plain BB. The Japanese guys never seemed to do it in the pictures I've seen. Just my opinion.

I would however instantly put it through the wash fifteen or so times so it gets that 8th Dan 'vintage' look :)

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I wear a plain black belt in classes or at seminars when it is appropriate to wear one. I'm just not that interested in having my belt embroidered, don't really see the point tbh. If someone wants to know my name or grade, they just have to ask. :)

Edit - I have seen some TKDers with the words "world champion" embroidered on their belt. I'm happy they've achieved success, but broadcasting that you're a champion on your belt just says "egotistical dick" to me.

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I'd consider having a belt I was going to hang on my wall decoarated (and they will be hanging everywhere if I earn one) but it'd probably have my gym and my instructors name on it nothing to do with me personally.

5. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

I'm getting a satin one soon, getting what you said, my style (okinawan goju-ryu) down one side and my name down the other, both in japanese. In our style it's half and half but most of the higher grades seem to have a belt like this. We don't do grade stripes on ours though, I think that looks a little silly.

6. thauma

thauma Valued Member

When instructing, we wear Hakama and the plain belt is lost against the hakama, so I wear my embroidered belt. This belt has style on one end and name on the other, but no rank insignia.

I worked hard to achieve it and I'm proud of my achievement, I see no issue with that and am proud to wear a plain black belt, the embroidery is the icing on the cake. This is obviously a personal statement and everyone is free to have their own opinion.

however for general purpose training, attending seminars etc then I wear a simple plain belt, with no adornment, as I feel no need to stand out / show off.

just my thoughts

7. thauma

thauma Valued Member

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  8. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

"Wild thing"

Only kidding, I don't even have one- yet

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I have my name on one side so I don't lose it and dan bars to make it easy to line up at big events with people I don't know.

Mitch

10. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I've just got 松涛館空手道 (shotokan karatedo) on mine. I didn't really want my name on mine, partly because I'm European so I didn't see the point of getting it written phonetically in kanji and partly because I felt I was being a bit egocentric by getting an embroidered belt at all and sticking my name on it would be the ultimate in making it about me not about karate.

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Eskrima on one end and Doce Pares on the other.

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

In kanji/hangul? No. Mine has my name in English. I need a name on it as belts will sometimes end up in a pile if we're using them to pull people across the gym or whatever, but I don't need it written in Korean.

Plus I don't know the Korean for "Ladies Love Cool Mitch"

LLCoolMitch

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Heh...I've just dusted off my old TKD black belt.
    It used to hold a gi top on my home-made grappling dummy.
    I wanted to wear it at the new TKD club I've joined so I unpicked the embroidery that said "TAGB" (as my new club is not affiliated with them) to avoid any conflict of interest.
    There's some hangul on it but I figure no one really knows what it says so that stays put.
    Personally I'd just have a plain black one. That way I could wear it at TKD and Shidokan (should I make BB in that). Maybe a dan bar as Mitch said. TKD is pretty formal so people need to know who is a higher/lower grade.

Or failing that...one like this. :)

[​IMG]

14. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

私を見て私が支配する.

Watashi o mite watashi ga shihai suru!

"Look at me, I rule!"

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010