What did you do before MMA

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Sonshu, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

This is a point for discussion - is there any MMA person on here who has NOT dont any traditional training to cover the multiple opponent stuff that we are all reminded we are missing.

I for me have done about 10 odd years traditional stuff but I was interested to know about other peoples experience?

2. Vadla

Vadla Valued Member

Before MMA my 'style' was just TKD. I think everyone starts with one art,
    and once they start thinking seriously about MA they take up other styles
    that suit areas they think are lacking from the previous art.

I'm trying wushu right now, my old TKD class didnt do any kick catching and i loved catching kicks... it can work pretty well sometimes :D

3. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I have never trained specifically for multiple opponents. I started off in TKD, realized I wanted to try more contact, got into kickboxing. Loved that, figured I'd try MMA - which led me to BJJ training which I am also digging in a big way. I just free-rolled for the first time friday night and had a frickin blast.

I don't think of myself as an MMA'er, actually. I think of myself more as a TMA striker who is learning a ground strategy too ;)

4. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

I started out in kung fu and stuck with that for a while. I took a break in the winter a couple years ago (bad weather etc.) and was planning on going back. I ended up putting it off and then decided to try something new, still planning on returning to kung fu.

I tried a self-defense oriented style, and a month later a mma fighter started teaching grappling classes there. That class evolved into a full mma class and I started to focus on that, but the class closed a few months later. Last May I ran into that coach again at a local mma event and decided to start training again.

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I did wuzuquan and switched Jook lum SPM (kung fu) at the same time I started MMA.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  6. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

I dont take MMA; but one day i will.

I THOUGHT i was learning Muay thai before.

I was being LIED TO!

DAMN IT!!!!!!!

7. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

aaahmed- can you please, for the love of god, stop pointing out in every second post that you went to a fake MT school. seriously. no one cares anymore.

id wager that almost everyone starts in some kind of traditional school, and either craves competition or becomes bored with doing katas etc, and moves on to more sport based arts. I think the number of people who just jumped into a kickboxing or MMA class is pretty low. although id say the exception to that is boxing.

8. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

You dont care....but im still ****ed. :D

Okay, ill stop.

But do you have any idea just how bad it feels to be so badly decieved?

But thats another topic......

That was da last comment.

I had alot of suger today...........

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  9. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

What about wrestling? Several of the amateur fighters that train at the same gym I do were former wrestlers. I live in the US where wrestling is pretty big, though, so it's probably different in countries where wrestling is less common.

10. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

yeah, pankration90, i think your right. In highschool, i knew someone who did a little bit of cross training in MMA.

he didnt stick to MMA, but the wrestling did spark an interest.

11. Topher

Topher allo!

Hang on! When a MT school is rubbish, it’s fake. Any other rubbish school is a McDojo :D

12. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

homer....it WAS fake, he lied.

13. Topher

Topher allo!

Yes, a Muay Thai McDojo.

14. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I did about a year of wado ryu karate, a few months of chow gar kung fu, and 2 years of tang sou dao before I started MMA. We did sparring against multiple attackers, but since they weren't allowed to hit you in the back, grapple with you or even make much contact at all I don't consider myself better prepared for it.

15. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Well, I've been doing traditional Choy Lay Fut kung fu for about 2 years. I train in it still actively, though not as much since I started MMA like about 2 months ago I think. . . .. something like that.

So I'm doing both kung fu and MMA at the moment, loving them both. Kung Fu because it's effective if you train right and know your system, and I personally know it is effective. MMA because I can fight and compete against other people eventually.

16. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

just to clear up, a mcdojo is a place that rips people off using black belt factory techniques, charging huge prices, etc. i would consider kuk sool to be a mcdojo because of the hilarious prices they charge for grading- but it doesnt mean the stuff taught is bad.

bullshido is when the stuff taught plain sucks and will get you your ass kicked. which is i imagine what AAAhmed encountered (bullshido muay thai)

the two can and often do go together, but not always.

17. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Very true I tend to lump it all in McDojo though but Ikken is more accurate with his posting to clarify things.

18. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

Going back to the original topic...I think the "multiple attacker" issue is one part of "TMA"s that is easily rubbished by the modern training methods. ie compliant attacks performed one after the other that bear absolutely no semblance to a real attack. And conversely, as Sonshu rightly said, is one point that a lot of critics quickly pick up MMA on as being lacking in.

If I ever criticise MMA training for missing out on something, it tends to be situational awareness, which is absolutely ESSENTIAL for "th3 str33t". But then that's a criticism that can equally be applied to most TMAs too

MMA simply doesn't address it because it doesn't have a need for it when your opponent is stood a few feet from you and a referee tells you when to fight!

Most TMAs completely ignore the issue though, and even repositioning yourself is something that is rarely addressed.

Be honest, how many of you guys (that have answered here) in your "traditional" training, let alone MMA training, have dealt with multiple attackers in a sensible/realistic way and dealt with environmental awareness, repositioning to avoid being surrounded, the possibility of pincer attacks (what I like to call the "raptor" attack) or even recognising the signs of confrontation and being aware of your escape routes?

p.s this may be better in the General Section? Might get a more "interesting" discussion?

19. hux

hux ya, whatever.

eh...no multiple attacker stuff.

environmental awareness, yes.

repositioning to avoid sneak attack, yes.

I dunno what a pincer attack is.

recognizing signs of confrontation, yes.

aware of escape routes, yes.

We don't do the whole "you versus gang of thugs" thing...

20. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

Someone distracts you from the front and keeps you engaged...either by talking or threatening, whilst someone else comes in from the side

Watch Jurassic Park :)

p.s that's one of the issues that changes situational awareness drastically when considering "multiple attackers"

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006