What did Bruce Lee Mean By This?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by JeetKuneDero, Nov 23, 2008.

1. JeetKuneDero

JeetKuneDero Valued Member

Bruce Lee once wrote that he had found a way of being "able to meet all lines [of attack] without being familiar with them." Anyone here familiar with that and it's meaning to you in your own training?

2. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Be like water, adjust to what they do. Familiar, unfamiliar, proper training means that your body will counter whatever comes, regardless of whether it is a 'usual' attack.

3. old palden

old palden Valued Member

I interpret it to mean that he believed himself able to defend against attacks or styles he hadn't trained in.

Like Snoop said, "Be like water," but I believe he's referring to a mental fluidity that isn't limited by a conceptual framework.

4. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Id never heard of him saying that before Jkdero,

Thats very interesting,im going to give it some thought.:)

5. Binary Zombie

Binary Zombie Cyberspace Zombie

The only quote I can find from Bruce regard "lines of attack" is this:

I got that off WikiQuote, and its listed under Bruce Lee's Unsourced quotes.

6. SiAiS

SiAiS Moved on

You know what it means.

7. JeetKuneDero

Hey Fire, hope all's good n your end.

Here's the quote from the book "Letters of the Dragon."

"My mind is made up to start a system of my own - I mean a system of totality, embracing all but yet guided with simplicity. It will concentrate on the root of things - rhythm, timing, distance and embrace the five ways of attack. Wing Chun is the starting point, chi sau is the nucleus and they are supplemented by the five ways. The whole system will concentrate on irregular rhythm and how to disturb and intercept the opponent's rhythm the fastest and most efficient way. Above all, this system is not confined to straight line or curved line but is content to stand in the middle of the circle without attachment. This way one can meet any lines without being familiar with them. Wait till I assemble everything."

Of course, that was way back in 65,' and does not account for his later comments regarding the role of Wing Chun, Chi Sau, Trapping, etc. As most are aware, he was in constant refinement, simplicity being his guide. It's fascinating - the whole piece is all principles and attributes, rather then techniques based - simplicity, the root of things, a nucleus, the five ways, etc. It's easy to see from that why he could make that statement, continue to refine without getting lost given such a simple, such an ingenius base.

Ironic. This month is his birthday (11/27/40). A time when, a person normally receives gifts. Here is someone who, on their birthday, those of us fortunate to see beyond the legend, celebrate the gifts he gave the martial arts world.

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

It meant he wasn't overly fussy who he bought his "lines" from.

9. old palden

old palden Valued Member

I like this response much better than mine.

10. JeetKuneDero

I know "it's meaning to you"? I mean, that was my question. Well, I'll Be hornswaggled, I must be psychic.

11. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Hi Bro,

Things are good thanks,hows you?.

Thanks for the answer:cool:.

Bruce was waaay ahead of his time wasnt he.:)

12. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

To me it's about being able to adapt, and having good fundamentals, once you know the basic tenets of something, with enough training and experience you are able to adapt and counter anything.

13. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

He meant that one should apply one principle to many techniques.