What defines a Martial artist? (Taekwondo)

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by matutor, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Crucio

Crucio Valued Member

I watched a couple of your videos and here's what i thought.

For one, i think you are honest. I think you have experience and that experience is teaching you. You have done what you thought was right.

At some point, you came across other systems, MMA in this case. The contrast told you that all the dances of kata and hitting the air have nothing to do with fighting; this realization made you mad. You understood the art, and felt that other people need to know the truth.

Is this true?

2. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

There is no saying it can't it just takes a bigger shift in training ideology,tactics, stance, fundamentals....lots. Possibly too big a shift for some. That's if they even understand or accept the different fundamentals, stance etc that's needed.

Other things to consider are is it adapted on a personal level or a club level or an association level?
    I can't see it on an association level as most are too big to suddenly change curriculum or sparring/ competitive rules. Diehards would just say it's not TKD.

At a club level, how would the instructor pass it on without experience? He would have to go off and fight under those rules and train under those rules and learn and adapt. It would take ages......what's the point if the answers have already developed and evolved in muay Thai....it would be crazy to try when it's already there. Plus he has a curriculum to teach that contains things that get recognised.
    In that setting if an instructors students were poor at patterns because they were too busy adapting to low kicking, kneeing, clinching etc....things that are not recognised by the hierarchy....I think it would be too much psychologically. It's easier to conform. Harder to break away.

On a personal level it's difficult because in TKD higher grades don't always understand and can try to correct things Or disagree with things they don't understand. At a black belt session for example who would disrupt the whole class to disagree with the tactics ,and application and fundamentals of a knee ? Not many. Even if it was well meant I don't think it would go down well. It's easier to conform. Plus if they are taking time away from the recognised curriculum , patterns etc can suffer. Again, it can get too much and its easier to conform and more rewarding to conform.

These and more are why I believe it's harder to adapt to one than the other.

3. Mr.PooleIIdgr.

Mr.PooleIIdgr. New Member

martlial arts has philosophy morals etc. as well as training
    with training a martial artist are a lethal weapon
    ive trained with mr mcelroy for 10 years off and on and am a 2nd dgr but only cause i quit going to class before testing and didnt recieve 3rd was trainee instructor so i knew it all so im 25 now were alotta like except i got my black belt at 8 yrs old and youve been goin to class more often but heres what i gather defines a martial artist and this only coming from experience in tae kwon do

defense whise in tkd acceleration reaction and control to run them in a wall or into the ground is great with the background

but the artist learns virtue and cardio

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Oh dear

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Sad, but amusing