What brand and weight of gi does everyone use? Gi advice?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Noodle, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Noodle

Noodle New Member

What brand and weight of gi does everyone use?

I have been using Kwon gi's and am looking to get another. I have an 8 oz Kwon premium line cotton gi that I love. I also have an old 12 oz Kwon cotton kumite gi that I used quite a while ago.

I love cotton over the mixed fabric and am considering the Kwon Kata gi. They only come in 12 and 16 oz. Has anyone used this brand and type (Kwon Kata) before and have any advice?

Anybody use a 12 or 16 oz gi in general for normal practice? I remember the 12 oz really making me sweat, am I asking for trouble with a 16 oz gi? I would think that it would have a very crisp snap?

I would appreciate any comments on these Kwon gi's or other manufacturers. Especially commments from anyone who uses the 12 and 16 oz gi's for daily use.

thanks,
    Noodle

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

For karate and Tai Jitsu practice I used to have this cracking International gi, had it for years, then the arm got ripped off :(

Just now I have a heavyweight Hayashi, a black Giko (really comfortable :) ), for aikido I have a lightweight Hayashi (kirin I think) and a random light cheap one.

For Judo I've got an Addidas Champion Heavyweight and a Hayashi Fuji Heavyweight.

And I have a size 5 dobok, only used once for sale if anybody wants it! :D

And I have a large collection of random Gi bottoms as well!

Col

3. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

I have a 'Judo' brand Gi....and it just RIPPED!!!!! (big friggin hole ) :(...sigh...i loved that gi too (felt comfortable). So i guess don't get 'JUDO' brand if you're into judo or jjs (too thin)

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

The only Gi I own is my BJJ Gi - Gameness Goldweave.

5. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

TOKAIDO

6. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

I use a light, white, Century MA karate gi

7. Noodle

Noodle New Member

Anybody out there use a 12 -16oz gi for karate? Any comments about using a heavier gi?

I currently mainly use an 8oz, but thinking about getting a heavier gi for daily use. Any comments?

thanks,
    noodle

8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I think if you want to make your training a 'little' more difficult you could train with the heavier Gi, and compete in the light one.

I used to do a 2hr aikido class back to back with 2hrs of karate, I'd change from a Judo gi to a karate gi and there was a noticable difference in performance, for about 5 mins! :D

The heavier gi should tire you out quicker through heat and sweat. Although I'm taking about the difference between a light Judo gi and a heavy karate one, the diff between a 8 and 16 oz may not be as big.

Col

9. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Tiger Claw, Medium weight. Holds up well, wouldn't want to grab a sleeve and try a throw though...

10. humblegojuguy

humblegojuguy New Member

I use nagamochi gi and it is the best I have ever used. It is a heavy weight gi. You can check it out at nagamochi.ca

11. Soete-tsuki

Soete-tsuki New Member

I use a 16 oz. You really need a heavier Gi for Aikido, so much friction with the ground will wear down anything lighter than 12 oz in no time...

12. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

Im using a light cotton gi, but im buying a 12 oz brushed canvas Budo gi

13. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

I bought a really cheap lightweight "Falcon" gi last year from the mall. Seeing as i'm not very big (hence the name) i was able to get away with the biggest kids size which was on offer and cost me.... wait.....eight quid! Been training in it at least twice a week for over a year and the only thing that's ripped are the tassels that tie together, but i've had them rip on more expensive gi's anyway.

14. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I have personally used/tried many variety of karate gi's. I am familiar with the Kwon gi, as I too have an 8oz. one that I use as a spare. The heaviest I have go with the Kwon was the 12oz.

I recently bought my friend, a Shotokan stylist, one of Kwon's premium line gi's, the 11oz., and that is a very nice uniform. As for the heaviest gi I've worn well that would be a 14oz. Not sure how much of a difference 2 more ounces would make, but I think that for me personally it would be too heavy for eveyday use.

15. Blue Bloater

Blue Bloater New Member

A heavy gee for kata, and a light gee for sparring.

16. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Shureido heavy weight. (century sucks, can't even make a gi correctly)

17. happywelshgal

happywelshgal New Member

I wear a 16oz Kamikazi Purple Label Gi, for training and competing. I have to train in one otherwise it feels too different when I compete. This is a good gi for kata and it holds its shape well, and is a crisp sounding gi.

18. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

I used to wear a Blitz 16 oz gi, which was lovely and "cracky". When it wore out I could not afford to replace it with another 16oz so bought a lighter one a 12oz I think.

Now I find the 12 oz suit much more comfortable and realize that a 16 oz was too stiff. I would only recommend a 14 oz max. If you get a Japanese suit i.e Tokaido or shureido, you will find that a 12oz feels like a lesser makes 14 oz.

Blitz 5 star White Diamond is a nice gi or the lesser "Silver" gi is fine.

19. qbushido

qbushido Subaru whore/NYC kid

I've had a heavyweight century gi for about 6 years now without issue, it actually is begining to get a little small! Overall I couldnt have been happier with thier gi tops though I have to say I prefer lighter pants, So I mix and match, heavyweight karate top, with adidas taekwondo pants dobok pants. I plan on buying a 14oz tokiado in the next few months.

20. BigBadBob

BigBadBob New Member

I wear a Shogun Silver (Medium weight) Gi.

Although quite expensive to buy in the shops, they will sell wholesale to clubs at a much discounted rate.

Hence the whole club is kitted out in various weights of Shogun, and everyone is happy with them.