What book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anth, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Scipio

Scipio New Member

Ahh!!! Another Dark Tower fan!!! I'm anxiously awaiting these books too. I re-read the series a couple of months ago. Can't wait to see how Roland fares in the end!

In the meantime, I'm reading "Why America Slept". It's all about the rise of the terrorist threat in the U.S. leading up to and through 9/11.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

3. Nukie

Nukie New Member

Actually its a single book 'Watch My Back' .. not the "3 in 1" edition..

i'll have a look out for the others because i quite like his style of writing.. not quite as pretentious as some of the auto's/bio's i've read from so called "hard bxxxxxxx" around uk.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If it is the one with he photos in the middle it's the 3 in 1 version. I ahve all three in hardback.

On a side note Geoff has just won a BAFTA for a film he did - Good on him!

5. Kimpatsu

Kimpatsu Banned Banned

I'm currently reading "Isaac Asimov's Guide to the Bible" (Both volumes in one hardback), and yes, I strongly recommend it (as I would anything by Asimov).
    If nothing else, you can get fit just be benchpressing it. ;)

6. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

"Goodnight, Gorilla".... actually, I'm reading it everynight for my daughter (along with "Goodnight, Moon") If you have children, I highly recommend both books!

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

just finished "in the company of heroes". if you ever want to know what a man goes through when he is shot down over hostile territory, read this book.

now im starting to read "the one that got away" by chris ryan. its the story of the SAS team in mission Bravo Two Zero in the first gulf war.

8. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

I just finished Forbidden Love. I would reccomend it to anyone. Despite the title, it is not a bad romance novel, but the true story of a Muslim woman in Jordan, who fell in love with a Catholic man. She and her best friend Norma, who tells the story, went to extraodinary lengths to enable them to meet in secret. When her father found out, she was killed to preserve the family honour. He turned himself in to the police, and recived 3 months in prison, which was considered served by the time he spent out on bail awaiting the trial. This happened 5 years ago, and it is estimated that 1000 women are killed in Jordan a year by 'honour killings' which are allowed by Jordinian law.

I cried more than I've ever cried over a book before, because this was a true story, it really happend. Her father stabbed her in the chest 12 times to preserve the family honour.

9. Speed

Speed New Member

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi
    Just grabbed a copy at a used bookstore on campus and read first couple pages. Seems like I'll have to take my time with this book like I did with The Art of War / Sun Tzu to let it all soak in.

The Prince
    by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Must read for political science class.

Sadly I'm not much into fiction anymore. Most of my fiction collection is older stuff like Stephen King, [/size][/font][font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]J.R.R. Tolkien[/size][/font][font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1] and [/size][/font][size=-1][font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1]Frank Herbert[/size][/font][/size][font=verdana,arial,helvetica][size=-1].

[/size][/font]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2004
  10. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Finished "The One that got Away" the other night. another good book if you like true war stories. it tells of how the team got split up, how people died (would you expect people to die of hypothermia in the middle of the Iraqi desert?), Ryan's views on what he could have done better, and his opinions on the data they were given before going out on the mission.

i think its time to read "the last mission" again :)

11. iain radford

iain radford taekwondododo

:) i'm reading red dwarf infinity welcomes careful drivers,for the thousandth time.very good reading if you are into red dwarf! :D

12. killbill

killbill New Member

any Hemingway or Heinlein fans around here?

13. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Steinbeck fan here- I admire the terse beauty and raw power of his language.

I just got "fight club" the novel by Chuck palanhiuck off Amazon- I swear to god, this is the literature of the future, man...

14. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Heinlein fan here! Have read evr book and most of his magazine articles and the NASA transcripts of his speech. I love his ability to tell a story.
    Right now I'm reading "The Transformed Mind" by HH The Dalai Lama.

15. snailfist

snailfist Valued Member

I have to read Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men" for my englsih GCSE. It's a good book, but i'd proably enjoy it more if it wasn't imposed upon me :rolleyes:

16. Knight_Errant

Don't base your opinion on a book that's on the GCSE syllabus- they have this annoying habit of putting things on pedestals and saying 'this is high culture, bitch. Read it.'
    Try reading 'saint katy the virgin', 'long valley' and 'the log from the sea of cortez'.

17. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

Currently reading Paragon Lost by Dave Duncan, about to start Treasons Harbour by Patrick O'Brian ( Master and Commander series ) that will be 8 down and another 12 to read,

I really enjoy Chuck Palanhiuck as well, and believe it or not Fight Club is probably the most sane of his books,

18. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Just finished, Brilliant CV - What employers want to see and how to say it.

Now for the hard part. :(

Cheers. :)

19. Knight_Errant

Cool. Have you read 'Guts'?

20. snailfist

snailfist Valued Member

It's not that I base a negative opinion on steinbeck because of that book-I do actually quite like it as a novel- but the essays etc that go with it kill it a bit that's all.