What book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anth, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The book is a collection of static stretches. They work, just slower compared to other methods.

2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Thanks for the feedback.

I have of course seen you're answers in some threads and the one you opened about stretching as well.

I even sort of liked it!
    "Sort of", because: My problem there was: I simply didn't understand everything or wasn't sure about some parts if I understood them correctly :eek:

English isn't my first language but I usually at least understand what I read; but for some reason I have had trouble with parts of your thread and gave up after a while, because I was a bit anxious to try something out of it - and screw up while hurting myself :eek:

I really should give it another try, now that I think of it.
    I even still have it bookmarked after all.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Read Tripwire, Gone Tomorrow and Worth Dying For by Lee Child. Pretty good, OK, WTF??? Seriously after about book 11 there's a big drop in quality.
    Read The Fool's Run by John Sandford, interesting both as the first work of an author I read a lot, and as a book from 1989 about hacking. A little predictable as a thriller (indeed actually reminded me of Lee Child a bit) but also shows some of the touches that would later go into the Virgil Flowers series.
    Also read Jing Wu: The School That Transformed Kung Fu by Kennedy and Guo, an excellent and surprising work which much like their other book on Chinese training manuals shows that we don't know what we think we know.
    Also read The Art of the Two Handed Sword by Ken Mondschein, a translation and exploration of Alfieri's La Spadone, one of the best HEMA books I've read.
    Currently reading The Empress File by John Sandford.

4. Ben Gash CLF

I wasn't joking when I said I routinely read 50+ books a year :eek:

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

Utterly brilliant.

6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

The first "Bartimaeus" book by Jonathan Stroud.

Saw it used for 2€ and decided to finally get it (I'm not so much into books from first person perspective and part of it is like that), after being curious fr quite a while.

And I'm positive surprised.

I started it on Sunday and despite not having much time or even interest in reading lately I'm more then 200 pages in and looking forward to keep going.
    Instead of sleeping in the train it's reading in the train-time again :D

Fun to read, an easy enough style, so that you can enjoy reading it, even though you have a hard time focusing at the moment - and it gets you're head into the book, that you (yes, I admit it: That I ;) ) actually are able to stop worrying too much about other things :eek: :D

7. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I think I made it to the second book back in grade school before it lost my interest but it was pretty engaging for a while. The djinn were kind of a cool concept. A bit like Harry Potter meets Pokemon :D

8. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I never looked at it like that, but that's actually true :eek:

Would have gotten the book sooner, if someone would have explained it like that :D

9. Ben Gash CLF

Read the Empress File and The Devil's Code by John Sandford, now reading Eyes of Prey by Sandford.

10. Ben Gash CLF

Finished Eyes of Prey, I'd forgotten how good the early Davenport novels are. I especially liked that he was struggling with depression in this one. Gone straight on to re-reading Silent Prey.

11. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Japanese Art: to colour in
    by

Katsushika Hokusai

It has some nice pictures and the descriptions of the paintings are interesting to me.

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

"The Day That Remo Died" -- book 0 (that's zero) in the Remo/Chiun "Destroyer" series.
    In the 90's I loved this series. I must have read about 100 of them, almost every book in sequence starting with #1. And then I moved on, and then last week discovered on Amazon this "book zero." It's the retelling of how and why Remo and Chiun met, and why Chiun trained him, and why Chiun continued to train him, all from Chiun's point of view. :D It's quite short and very easy to read, and as a Destroyer fan I love it. :heart:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  13. flaming

flaming Valued Member

14. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Toward the end of his life Hokusai would start each day drawing a picture. Hoping that he would have a peaceful day.

15. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Sweet Science_ A.J. Liebling

I was helping may father move some bookcases, and upon the very top shef was this book, hard cover, first edition.

He said he nearly forgot about the book and gave it to me to add to my library

16. aikiMac

Plato.

Somehow I missed it in school. It's pretty good. I would have liked the guy. :)

17. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Socrates was pretty cool as well.

18. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Do not be misled by the Republic; it is not a dialogue on the construction of a utopia but on the management of the self. In book 4, Glaucon insists on taking 'the short way,' one Socrates says is illusory and will not lead to true knowledge or something of the sort. The Statesman is Plato's utopia.

19. aikiMac

Ya, it's actually Socrates talking in the parts I've read thus far. (But the title of the book is "Plato.") First he thoroughly messed with a guy and concluded that virtue comes from the gods, and now he's talking about love at a big banquet. Socrates is fully awesome. :happy:

20. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Is this a compilation of Plato's works? I think you're referring to the Symposium with the banquet; interestingly, one of the guests who tells the story of when men and women were conjoined is Aristophanes, who wrote a parody of Socrates in The Clouds. Good read. When you get to "The Apology," hell, when you read any of the dialogues, but especially the Apology, Republic and Gorgias, it's important to have a sense of the prevailing political climate at the time.