What book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anth, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Just started the Harry Potter series. I've read the first book before (Philosophers Stone), but starting with that. I don't think I need to go into the story. Great fun!

Also reading one of Mick Foley's books, the last biography he wrote, Countdown to Lockdown: A Hardcore Journal. I bought it a while but only got around to reading it a few days ago. Certainly not as good as the others and full of pretty pointless stories to make up the page count. I'm struggling.

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

That's a shame. I read his autobiography, what, 16 years ago, and loved it.

3. Bozza Bostik

He's done four, I've read the first two. They were great, but this one's a bit of a let down. Maybe I am just not in the mood for it.

(I should have called it an autobiography).

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Started 61 Hours by Lee Child. Not really loving the shifting viewpoint and narrated countdown devices. Also surely by now if you typed Jack Reacher into a police database it would start alarming and every federal enforcement agency would descend on the town to investigate whatever bad stuff is going on.

5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'm about halfway through The Shining. I picked it up because I enjoyed Kubrick's film so much - I view it as a meditation on how violence begins in the home, but that conflict ultimately explains massive, even genocidal acts of violence. I had read that King hated the movie and thought the portrayal of Torrance was unfair, that he had been written as a sympathetic character whose arc dragged him to madness before his eventual redemption. I can't say I see that - Torrance seems slightly insane from the start, even before the influence of the Overlook he
    breaks Danny's arm. What kind of a father does that? That's some twisted stuff man, that's some crazy from the start.
    Jack Nicholson did a perfect job portraying him.

6. Bozza Bostik

I've never got through The Shining (film), can't stand it...or should I say I can't stand Jack Nicholson and the bad acting in general. I've tried to watch it about 3 times as it's considered one of the best horror films out there, but I've never got further than 10 or 15 minutes of the film.

I keep meaning to have another go but...

7. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

Me too man. I tried my best but I had to stop it.
    I am not a big fan of Jack Nicholson either, although I can't say he is a bad actor.
    I was never taken away from his performances, but I like some of his work.
    Five easy pieces is a damn good movie!

8. Bozza Bostik

Yeah. I guess he's not a bad actor...more like I don't like his style. Some of the other actors in the film left a lot to be desired though IIRR.

9. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Female lead is the worst. She is just a disempowered shrieking damsel sterotype. But Jack is class! I love the film. I can't say I've read the book though.

10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I preferred the book over the movie.

I even think, I liked the newer Shining movie more then the one with Nicholson, but have to say I don't remember enough from either one to be sure.

11. Ben Gash CLF

Just finished 61 Hours, pretty forgettable and unusually downbeat.

12. webcrest

webcrest Valued Member

Ultimate flexibility by Sang H.Kim is a good book for martial arts beginners and for those who wanna come back after an injury.

13. philosoraptor

I'm trying to think if Kubrick ever had a well written female actress come to think of it. 2001? No women except the space stewardess. Full Metal Jacket? Nope, just the sniper. Clockwork Orange? Dr. Strangelove? Eyes Wide Shut I wasn't a huge fan of, but at least Kidman had some lines. Haven't seen any of his others.

14. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

What about the Vietmanese prostitute in FMJ?

15. philosoraptor

I didn't really think that was a well written female character. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

16. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

About two thirds of the way through Snow Crash. I've had it on my shelf for about a decade and several friends and friends of friends implored me to read it. At more than halfway through the book while I'm aware it's well written it's not something I'm really engaged in or can't put down. I just sort of feel along for the ride.

17. philosoraptor

I've always felt Stephenson was a poor man's Gibson.

18. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I was told that theory-part isn't up to date anymore, but I'm lacking the real knowledge to decide whether that's right or not.

I got it mainly for the exercises, which I were told are still pretty good.

Anyone here with a deeper knowledge who can say something about that?

Now the only thing left is to actually start them :rolleyes:
    And letting go of the fear my groin might strain again, once I feel a tiny little pain :eek:

19. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I did find Neuromancer much more engaging but I do like Stephenson's rather "shook up" writing style which tends to jump around a bit.

20. Ben Gash CLF

Just starting The Rose and the Thorn by Michael J Sullivan.