What are your feelings on dugs and alcohol?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Terry Matthes, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Senga

Senga GenkiGirl

Drugs and alcohol? Drugs'll screw you over. Alcohol? tried it about twice on different occasions and i find it really nasty. I still don't understand how people enjoy the taste. ::shudder::

2. Noob

Noob Valued Member

I drink (alcohol), I tried not drinking for a while, but it was more a me not trying to make a bad situation worse than making a positive life choice sorta thing. Today I drink less and can control it and hold it reasonably well. I don't drink before I go train or after I train (same day wise) unless it's an informal training session with friends, when a beers always welcome.

Drugs, Weellllll, I'm a quarter dutch, and yes I've smoked Marijuana but not heavilly and not seriously, and don't smoke it right now, and haven't smoked it during the period when I trained.

Other drugs, nope. Aside from Nicotine which I am addicted to and when I have the Will to quit will quit, but not right now. I tried and it didn't go too well.

3. Hapkido

Hapkido New Member

not even gonna read over these cus they probably all say the same thing im about to say. no, dont drink alcohol or use drugs while working out/performing martial arts. first off alcohol is not only bad but your reaction speed is down which is bad if ur sparring but your also drinking liquid courage, your ego is the size of manhattan which is a REALLY bad thing if your weight lifting. your gonna end up hurting yourself either way. drugs are just bad first off and second if you do get hurt and your in a state of euphoria you wont know it, for all you know you could be walking on a broken leg and permanently damaging it.

4. Tika

Tika New Member

Drinking: in moderation I don't see a problem. (Now thats not actually drinking while actually training, but while you actively pursue MA)

Drugs: same answer. But just as with alcohol, it depends on the person. Some people can let substances take over their lives, others do not.

I know many very successfull adults from all walks of life (teachers, IT people, business people) that smoke socially. Im not saying its a great idea for kids to run out and roll a joint, but once your of an age where youre capable of making the decisions about things pertaining to your life (like for example the age where you can legally drink alcohol, or vote, or go to war), you should be free to make that decision. MJ is no more dangerous then cigarettes or alcohol.

5. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

Ah, beer and judo. There is a constant running joke in the states about this combination, namely, that judoka are the ones that really go out and get wasted after class. Personally, I found that to be more true with our Shorin-ryu karate fellows(American Shorin-ryu, not Okinawan), but anyway...
    To train on beer is a bad thing. We had a guy come into our judo class slightly drunk one time. He managed to hide it pretty well, but me and my brother noticed...and we started messing with him. And this guy is funny when he's drunk. He managed to not get hurt, or hurt anybody in class, but he learned his lesson.

6. Tika

Tika New Member

I think the question has to do with drinking in general....not really being drunk in class....

EDIT: :D just to avoid misunderstanding :D

Last edited: May 28, 2004
  7. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

Okay, then I'll answer in general...
    I wouldn't ever drink, because I am very cognizant of how dangerous I have the potential to be. If I ever lost the conscious level of control that I have from my training (a.k.a. drinking or drugs), then very bad things might happen.

8. Eddy67

Eddy67 New Member

Myself, I never, ever drink, except for a few sips of champagne at New Years eve. I just don't like the thought of losing control or hindering my judgement, because there are so many ways you can screw up, it's just not worth it.

As for drugs and smoking, as a Roman Catholic, I've always been taught that the body is a temple for the holy spirit, and to harm myself would be to harm what God has given me. I really don't see the appeal in taking drugs, because there's really nothing good about it. Sure you feel a sense of euphoria, but is that really worth the danger? I do not believe so.