What are you working on?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Herbo, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Ok so no real chat in the forum so I thought I'd start this one going.

What technique/combination are you working on at present? This is a chance to let others know what you're working on and why and lets others share their experiences and perhaps any good videos they have that might help you.

Example

I'm a 1st kyu lefty and currently working on my tai otoshi to compliment my other strong throws which are uchi-mata and sasae tsukuri komi ashi. It's working OK on some people so far but I need more work on my timing and am not sure I have the lapel hand action right, any tips?

Response

Check this out [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0BAmgezQWg"]Judo Seminar: Tai Otoshi Body Drop by Neil Adams - YouTube[/ame]

2. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

Im working on Seo Nagi. I feel if i focus on one throw rather than focusing on several i can do better off. My other throws are no where near perfect, none of them are good, but if i
    start somewhere, i will get somewhere instead of dabbling in several different throw. Afterall im a noob, but if i can pull of atleast one good through, rather than failing every throw i feel i have achieved something!

While im here i would like to ask. What is the difference between seo nagi and ippon seo nagi? These are the two i have heard of.

3. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

My understanding is that ippon seoi nage is a shoulder throw with the ippon or one handed grip like this [​IMG]

as opposed to a morote or "two handed" seoi nage grip like this [​IMG]

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

we used to do it a bit different from the neil adams video. we would go around the head with the collar hand, my sensei's called it the "steering wheel".
    it works incredibly well in wrestling due to the lack of gi.
    in wrestling they use slightly different foot work with no leg blocking (closer feet) so they just pull them straight over the hips rather than the foot unbalancing, i have a hard time with the wrestling version though.

5. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I'm also just white belt, so in theory working on everything.... but..

in tachiwaza I like Osoto gari but in randori it's often spotted too much in advance so need to work on relaxing my grip and improving my footwork. if i haven't done any randori and with various injuries plus not many/any people below green belt it can be difficult for others to want to partner I haven't done much in last few weeks then I tend to get stiff armed again, same with Uchi komi, though I've partnered other white belts stiff as a door so it's not just me

in newaza I still can't get an escape from most pins even with equally partnered opponents, and have already developed some bad habits of stalling tactics, getting an armhold or trying for a lapel strangle, though have recently found this opens me to an armbar with more experienced partners so is a bad idea, so I need to go back to basics on Kesa gatame

6. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Without the leg block it doesn't sound much like a tai otoshi, perhaps was it koshi guruma?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vharlgzgJlA"]KOSHI GURUMA - YouTube[/ame]

7. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Stiff arming is the tool of the devil. Next time someone does it to you hit them, very hard, preferably with something heavy. Especially in uchi komi as there's no excuse other than they're scared to fall.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Grip fighting for central control, beating the stiff arm and swapping directions plus stepping in with depth so i can start looking at throws.

9. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

I am going back to basics and improving my O soto gari and ippon seo nage

Also ippon seo nage/o soto gari combinations

I am traing a lot left handed as well..I hope to be as poor lefty as I am righty

10. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I didn't know throwing was a part of uchikomi practice as quite often we've done it without completing the throw, so have been caught out a couple of times when a higher kyu grade just planted a throw. From guys I've been asked for more resistance and girls less resistance, so there is a personal and gender preference here.

11. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

You are correct, uchi komi doesn't complete the throw, that would be nage komi. However when uchi komi is of seoi nage or a similar throw then ukes feet will leave the ground. Some white belts are scared of even that.

12. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

Isi uchi komi basically drilling in a technique here you practice the movement but you dont actually throw?

I do that at the start quite alot.

That stiff arm thing, i get that too, and when i do randori with a fellow white belt, he does it to, when i do it against a higher belter they dont do it...

What i find really hard in judo is going with the flow and just generally remembering everything. I guess thats where experience comes in?

For example i do a randori, and I forget to do the hip blocking, i forget to do the counters and stuff.

But i guess the more i practice the better i become right? I am hoping to be able to pull of 1 good throw in randori.

13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

IMO, the "upper body control hip throw" makes no sense. The hip throw works well with

- waist surrounding,
    - under hook, and
    - over hook.

It just doesn't work well with "head lock". The reason is simple, when you try to pull your opponent's head down, your downward force will help your opponent to sink his body which will make your "hip throw" hard. Your "45 degree downward force vector" will be divided into the "vertical downward force vector" and the "horizontal pulling force vector". It's the "vertical downward force vector" that will make your hip throw more difficult. The "downward pulling" force is against the "upward lifting" force. You want to lift your opponent's body off the ground, and not to press his body down to the ground. If you use your leg to block your opponent's leg then that will make more sense.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vharlgzgJlA"]KOSHI GURUMA - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  14. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

What im working on right now is turning in for ippon seoi nagi, i find that my hips don't swing all the way in during randori which prevents me from popping of the throw properly. :mad:

15. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

That explains why come you were trying to hip thrust me.......
    :)

16. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Perhaps your point is more valid to no gi, but for judo, as you can see in the video, tori disrupts uke's balance forwards first with tsurikomi or a "high pull", from there the head round the neck action limits the distance uke can put between his hips and tori's, due to his broken balance and being pulled onto the throw. The head round the neck helps tori load uke onto the hips and complete the throw. Or that's how I see it.

17. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Uchikomi is indeed the making the shape of the throw without actually throwing, from what I hear the Japanese do tons of it, more of it than nagekomi actually.

All the points you address regarding going with the flow and remembering everything comes with practice. I'm by no means advanced in judo but I work on improving one thing at a time. I'll have a night where I'll only use chokes in newaza or I'll work on maintaining a dominant grip. Eventually it becomes second nature and you work on something else your bad at. With my list of things to work on I'll be at judo a while haha

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The same principle should apply in both Gi and no-Gi. When you apply the "hip throw", you want to

- "lift" your oponent's body off the ground (from bending legs to straight legs posture), or
    - use your hip to bounce at your opponent's belly and still "lift" him off the ground.

That's why sometime people prefer to call "hip throw" as "waist lift". In both methods, the "high pull (45 degree downward)" is the opposite of the "upward lift (90 degree upward)". Since both of your opponent's legs are free, he can borrow your pulling and hook his left leg above your left knee, and crash you all the way down to the ground. You just won't have such concern in "lift" (less chance for your opponent to use "bulldozer force" to push you to the ground). When your opponent's feet is off the ground, most of his defense and counters are gone.

This is the "only" throw exists in Judo that I think it conflicts to it's own principle (downward pull vs. upward lift).

We can clearly see "lift" in this clip that his opponent's feet is off the ground in the beginning of the throw.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

This is the one of my favor moves. What will you will call it in Judo?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  20. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

it looks something like o soto gari.