What are you giving up for Lent?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by jkzorya, Feb 6, 2008.

1. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

Hello. I was just wondering if anyone has anything to share about what they are giving up for Lent, this year. As this is a Christian event, it probably applies mostly to MAPs Christian contingent, but it would also be good to hear from people of other faith backgrounds who practice abstinence as a part of their faith. The purpose is not to argue about anything or to "do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them" - Matthew 6:1, but just to share experiences, ideas and moral support.

This year I am trying to give up anger because I feel that my tendency towards hot-headedness can often get in the way of my being all that I could be or should be.

Anyone else?

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Sobriety

3. Julie (MTA)

Julie (MTA) Banned Banned

I am going to give up having a pudding after my meals and snacks, sweet or otherwise, in between. This is so I can develop self-discipline to be hungry and not to crave sweet things, or to have them as a matter of course. I have been inspired by Liberation Theology and St. Francis to try to become "evangelically poor", that is "faced with a predatory, consumerist society, the evangelically poor will use the goods of this world with moderation and sharing." - from "Introducing Liberation Theology" by Leonardo and Clodovis Boff.

I am also going to train a dan lian (repetitive, prolonged single technique training) per day as this is the kind of training I find most difficult, especially with regard to my emotional / mental discipline. AND I'm also going to try to do it cheerfully.

4. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

I expected the odd puerile comment, but not from a Topic Mod.

5. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

I haven’t looked to give up on stuff, just really cut down on things and train much more.

Which means i have hardly had any beer, & i haven't been out to any night clubs this year, as i got to the stage where i was just going for the sake of it thinking, WTH im i doing here?

I've also tried to give up my lame attitude when it comes to doing things in life, i used to procrastinate like no other with matters of real importance, now i have realised i and only i can make things happen, and even though life is crap sometimes there aint no one who’s had everything happed without setbacks.

However, im not really a religious person… :D

6. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I'm not giving anything up for lent, but I want to stop spending time farting around on the internet at home an use the time to better myself by writing, practicing guitar, stretching, using my foam roller and practicing my stick work.