What are the Blade-First Filipino Systems?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by SoKKlab, Jun 22, 2009.

1. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Hello,
    Could some of you lovely people let me know what are the Filipino systems (arnis, escrima, kali -whatever you want to call it) that start the trainee off with blades, particularly knives first?

I know that the stick is often used as an approximate (in principle as well as deed) to a short sword, sword, or long knife/ dagger etc, but I have no interest in stick work at this point.

1) What filipino systems start the trainee off with the blade (ie knife-counter knife) work first?

2) What are the filipino systems that only teach blade and empty hand, as opposed to stick, blade, empty hand?

3) What percentage of empty-hand work is taught in these blade-first systems? I.e equal ratio, or blades mostly then small amount of empty-hand?

4) Is the blade/ against blades work in these systems the same in motion and principal as the empty-hand work (I know that most have and do use the same movements, but just checking)? I.e does it use the same movements for both?

Recommendations, information, contacts etc most appreciated.

I am in north-west London (UK), so if anyone knows of any classes/ schools in this locale, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks in advance.

2. embra

embra Valued Member

As far as I know there are no FMA folks teaching anything without sticks - stick scrapping is simply built-in part and parcel of the whole psyche.

Stick, dagger, empty hand, combinations of, are in principle, all the same when applied. Personally I find the stick drills fascinating for locking and disarming - and you find out loads about how human anatomy works.

However, there is Peter Lewis's Bakbakan (who posts on this site) which has the something of a reputation as being a 'dont touch the blade' concept as oppossed to 'i'll take a nick or 2' which is something closer to the common mantra.

In London you have as good a choice as you will get outside of the Phillipines or maybe 'Stickton' California.

http://www.bckeai.co.uk/page11.html lists whos who in London. Personally, I'd go right round all of them, for quite a while, and find what suits you best i.e. dont be in a hurry - just enjoy the sheer devilment of whats on offer.

The sheer diversity of FMA never ceases to amaze me, but the concepts seem to be the same whether stick, knife or emptyhand. The applications and implications do seem to be different.

Also worth looking out for is the Silat Suffian Bela Dira guy in Cardiff. His stuff is very knife oriented, but at least on youtube, he always looks very cool and calm i.e. its maybe not as instant and flowing as FMA.

3. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Sayoc Kali does a lot of knife work and their head guy in the uk can be contact via his website HERE!!

4. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Hi Embra. Many thanks for the mention :cool:

Just to clarify, Bakbakan International was established in 1968 by Master Christopher Ricketts and Master Rey Galang of the Kali Ilustrisimo system. Kali (or Kalis) Ilustrisimo being the art of the late and highly respected Grandmaster Antonio 'Tatang' Ilustrisimo. Kali Ilustrisimo is very much a blade-based art, although other weapons, such as stick, staff (of various lengths) and handkerchief etc are used. Since the passing of Tatang, there are several groups promoting the art and techniques of Kali Ilustrisimo and in the UK these include:

Kalis Ilustrisimo (as taught by GM Tony Diego) - Shamim Haque
    Bahad Zu'Bu Mang'Taas Baraw (as taught by GM Yuli Romo) - Peter Lewis
    Bakbakan Kali Ilustrisimo (as taught by M Rey Galang) - Peter Lewis
    Kali Ilustrisimo (as taught by M Christopher Ricketts) - no UK rep but part of the Bakbakan International organisation
    Integrated Eskrima (as taught by M Mark Wiley) - Alan Orr
    Lameco Eskrima - Jun Pueblos

As a blade art, there is a realisation that a mistake could easily be fatal, which may not be so readily understood by some of the more 'impact' weapon systems. There is an adjustment in the structure of the techniques between blade and stick, although certainly within Bakbakan Kali Ilustrisimo and Bahad Zu'Bu, the stick is used with the same anatomical structure as the blade.

Concerning the BCKEAI, this is part the largest multi-system organisation in the world and as such, most major FMA systems are represented. Within the London area, I would certainly recommend contacting Master Jay Dobrin of BIFF, or Master Steve Tappin of Escrima Concepts.

Good luck in your search for the art that suits you the most.

Gumagalang

Peter

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Illustrisimo and Sayoc have already been mentioned. Atienza Kali also jumps to mind, though I have no direct experience. And perhaps, depending on the teacher, PTK would fit that bill.

6. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Thanks all for the feedback so far.

I am looking into Silat Suffian. Most Silat makes sense when you put a blade in your hand anyway.

Judging by the brief description, this may be along the lines of what I am looking for.

How do I go about participating in these systems?

Your organisation doesn't have any instructors or classes in the London area.

What seminars do you run? Are they usually in the Midlands of England? There's not much information on the website.

I will look into these and see what I feel about them. Most classes are far from me, so getting there may be difficult (but enough of my problems...).

Thanks

7. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Hi

Sorry for the delay in replying.

My website is currently under reconstruction and will contain more details very soon. In the meantime, I'll try to answer your questions here. Currently, there are Bakbakan Kali Ilustrisimo classes in Worcester, Cheltenham, Swindon, Edinburgh and Glasgow. My own workshops are held every 2 months in the Midlands and the next is 9 August.

Try contacting Shamim Haque via his website at www.kalis-ilustrisimo.org and he will be able to point you towards training closer to home.

Good luck in your continued search.

Gumagalang

Peter

8. shootodog

shootodog restless native

hello soKKlab! it's been a long time.

though there are systems out there that do "blade first" or "all blade all the time" (i have nothing against these systems and i believe they have a place under the FMA sun), i advise you not to rush into the blade (no pun intended). there is a reason why we start off "with sticks" as they say.

the stick trains your hands and your body safely where they can adapt to the idea of "weapons". it also gives the discipline you will need as the weapons become smaller and faster and sharper.

the "stick" will also give the teacher time to evaluate who among his students are skilled enough, disciplined enough, and committed enough (to the system) that he can entrust with the lessons of knifework. i mean really. would you teach someone you don't know the method in which he can effectively and efficiently butcher another person? "karga de konsyensya na lang mo yun" (that will weigh heavy on you conscience).

this is just a thought and something that i tell everyone who want to rush into knife immediately.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009