What are the "Basics"

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by windtalker, Feb 1, 2008.

1. windtalker

windtalker Pleased to return to MAP

There appears to be no limit for the number of times someone will eventually make the comment they wish for being rich in order to pursue thier favorite past-times on a full-time basis. Granted I would rather spend my days with hunting and martial arts. Yet as with the majority having the financial type of resources for such a thing just does'nt exist and we must continue working to provide for both our family and self.

Granted there are proffesional fighters and martial arts instructors who enjoy such an opprotunity as this. Maybe there are some youger participants here on MAP that are not limited so much by money or time for a lot of practice. Which is the subject of this post. Limited time based on the number of responsibilities.

The best I have been capable of doing in reference to number of training hours per week is roughly 10-15 hours per week. Maybe the chance for 15-20 hours presents itself now and then. The question I hope someone might provide with insight to is as follows. With limited time for training what skills does a person benifit most from working on?

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I get the most out of basic boxing, basic Judo throws, basic jits drills, sparring, rolling, randori, weight lifting, and pushing the sled (and doing my other fitness stuff).

3. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

You haven't stated what your motivation for training is. That'll have a big impact on what is to be considered most important, relevant, or beneficial.

4. steppenwolf

steppenwolf New Member

Training 15 hours a week is OK I think... It's more than 2 hours every day. It might not make you a professional fighter, but with proper instruction you will improve quickly and probably will become a good amateur fighter (if that is your aim, of course).

5. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

Foot work, balance and proper technique IMHO

6. Squerlli

Squerlli Banned Banned

Learn to stick and move - your bread and butter for boxing.
    Condition your shins and and forearms, lots of roundhouses and elbow strikes - some Muay Thai for ya.
    Find a Judo or BJJ school to grapple in - theres your ground game.
    And do clinch strikes with the bag.
    Supplement this all with ALOT of running and in a year or so you'll be well rounded and a pretty decent fighter.

7. february

february Valued Member

Man, I wish I could spend 15 hours a week training.

As it stands it's probably more like 10 at a push working on purely MA stuff. Limited time means only working on what you want to get really good at. Personally I always try to keep it goal oriented.

Excluding supplementary stuff (running, skipping, weights etc.), mainly footwork, heavy bag work, focus mitts, shadow boxing and drilling on my (brand new) wooden dummy, mixed with plenty of Escrima drills, twirling etc.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  8. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

I'd have to say 15 hrs per week is a luxury in relation to what most of us can afford time-wise. As to what to work on, when time is scares, concentrate primarily on the most high percentage techniques you have, and spend maybe 10% - 15% of your technical training time on a small number of more exotic moves so you can pull them out as a surprise.

My point with this is it's much more useful to have an extremely reliable kimura, double leg, right cross and jab than it is to have all those things mediocre at best while you practice a slew of other techniques that may rarely come into play. More time on fewer things, and make the few things the ones you can use most often. Then spend your remaining time on conditioning. My $0.02, your milage may vary.

9. donb

donb restless spirit

I still train slightly more than 15 hours a week but it has changed in direction within the last year. It will depend on what you wanted to accomplish. I'm starting back on my roots so within the last year, i've been training FMA in conjunction with hapkido, doing more karate and cutting down on the jump/spin kicks, which i love to do, being more grounded and learning to accept age limitations.

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Whatever makes you happy.

Unless your livelihood depends on your training you should spend your time on whatever makes you happy.

Mitch

11. Phil Elmore

Phil Elmore Valued Member

The holy trinity of basic attributes in the martial arts are three things so many systems claim to teach, and do not -- accuracy, timing, and distance.

12. Atharel

Atharel Errant

Boxing OR San Da OR Muay Thai
    [optional]Wrestling (US folk or freestyle+greco)
    Judo OR Sambo OR Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

If you still have time work on filipino martial arts

13. windtalker

windtalker Pleased to return to MAP

It's difficult finding 15 hours a week for training and is more of average than regular. When hunting season gets started the hours diminish. Reguardless I stretch and run with my wife in the mornings. We usually run 2-3 miles. The evenings is divided between conditioning and technique. There is a good health club that my wife and I visit regularly for weight training and other exercises. Far as the martial stuff that's strictly my intrest and I usually rely on classes and friends to help train.

The basic material a person should look for with limited time is what I was looking for. The example provided by February is along those lines.