what are some techs for this ma?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Cougar_v203, Mar 18, 2003.

1. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Juru = hand form
    Langkah = foot path

The actual jurus and langkahs, and the number of them, will vary from system to system.

I've heard of some systems that don't have jurus at all. Some have dozens (or even hundreds) of jurus. Some have just a couple of langkahs and others have more.

There's also "kembangan" (mentioned earlier in this thread). Kembangan literally means "to flower." Kembangan are longer forms. They may be comprised of the jurus/langkahs of the system strung together. Or they may be preset motions derived from the jurus/langkahs. They may be completely freeform. They may be done to music, or independent of music. All of this depends on the system.

There are also "sambuts" in some systems. Sambut literally translates to "answer." Generally, sambuts are applications to the jurus. However, they may be long strings of applications or they may be a single application. But, either way, they are intended to bridge the gap between running a form and applying what's learned in the form.

Basically, the form (whether juru, langkah, or kembangan) is "bunga" (which means "flower"). And the sambut is "buah" (fruit). Some systems just use the term "buah" instead of "sambut." And, I'm sure, other systems use other terms depending on their regional dialect or preferences.

Mike

2. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Mike/Dave,

Thank you both sincerely. You've cleared up a whole bunch of stuff that was litered with question marks in my notes and in pieces I had cribbed together in regard to Silat.

Like Dave I think that I probably won't be studying Silat but definitely have noticed that there are techniques littered through the stuff I have been taught. Who knows though maybe its something I'll go on to investigate further.

Bad Yoda... opening a can of linguistic worms like that! :D

This is one of those threads that needs archiving for future reference!!!

3. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

LOL. That can of worms is particularly easy to open when dealing with the Indonesian martial arts (and SEA arts in general).

Take the word "juru" for instance.

"juru" is the modern Bahasa Indonesia spelling.
    "djoeroe" was the Dutch colonial spelling.

But I've seen variants like this on occasion "djuru"

Also, due to pronunciation differences, you end up with western spellings.

So, like the word "Serak." I've seen Sera, Serah, Serak. All three are correct and refer to the same art. But the "k" on the end isn't really a "hard" sound. It's more of a glottal stop. So it gets interpreted by various people as in the above examples. And all three of the above examples are pretty much pronounced the same.

And then there are other slippery slopes for westerners to navigate when dealing with the language. I was talking to one Silat player and I mentioned "Bukti Negara" but I didn't pronounce it well and what she heard was "Putih Negara." One means "witness of a continent." The other means "white continent." So now I'm always very conscious of pronouncing the "k" sound on the rare occasions that I say "Bukti Negara" around a Malay speaker.

It's a pretty convoluted (and sometimes treacherous) language for us non-native speakers to deal with.

Mike

4. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

djoeroe? pronunciation Plz :D

5. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

"djoeroe" = Dutch Colonial version of "juru."

The "oe" is pronounced like the "o" in "move" and the "dj" is pronounced like a "j".

Mike

6. Cougar_v203

7. paulsilat

paulsilat New Member

For those of you in the UK who are interested, there is a seminar that is hosted by the UK's top Martial Arts magazine 'Martial Arts Illustrated' called the MAI Super Seminar 2003.

This year it features a Silat instructor called Steve Benitez.

To find out more, click on the link below.

http://www.martialartsltd.co.uk/mai/seminar03.htm

This may be worth attending, as there are very few Silat demonstrations, seminars, etc... here in the UK.

8. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Thanks for the heads-up Paulsilat! I've heard very good things about Steve Benitez (in fact great things). Do you train with him?

I believe that he's opening a dedicated academy (for want of a better word) soon near Hendon Central in London. Hopefully he might hold a few open seminars there so that I can come along?

9. paulsilat

paulsilat New Member

I have trained with him on several occassions in the past, years ago, and attented a few of his seminar, but don't train with him currently.

I heard read about his Academy in MAI, and will have a look after it opens.

Have you trained with him before? I saw from your profile you are based in London. Where do you train?

10. Nubreed

Nubreed Banned Banned

Kuntao Silat De Thouars

This will give you a general idea of the requirements in Uncle Bill's Arts

1. Jurus Satu (medium bassin)

Application : the entries (the most important learning)

follow up(striking)free flow
    takedown: throw: puter kepala
    reverse puter kepala
    hip throw
    thigh trow
    Kengit
    neck twist
    arm drag
    leg drag
    sweep sapu & beset
    joint lock wrist lock
    arm bar
    figure 4, etc.
    Next from here you learn some application but you workout with a opponent who attacks you. And you use a free flow attitude (defense we play),

You begin the latihan tiga (sweep sapu/beset)

Jurus satu Low bassin
    application to low attack to leg & takedown groundfighting

Jurus Satu(hight bassin)
    more street self defense in upright position

you begin Jurus Satu in the monkey attitude...from hight to medium to low
    bassin you express the monkey.... free flowing, unpredictable moves you can flow
    from the first part of the jurus to the third part ....no pattern now just free
    flowing...

You develop the jurus in the tiga pattern

Jurus Satu with knifes ( solo knife or two knifes)

you workout with an opponent you play!

Kuntao Waves hands drills

Monkey line: 2 opponent go back/forward using trapping, sweep legs exercise

2. Bai Hung (kuntao form & applications) platform footwork pattern exercises
    3. Tang lang pai (kuntao)
    4. Jurus Dua / sticking hands drills
    5. Pai yune(kuntao)
    6. Langhas Monjet
    7. Ling Sing Toe ( kuntao)
    8. Bagua green dragon (form) & a lot of applications

Each form is learned and you develop your technique from the form and most
    important are the entries...you play with a opponent (workout)

Basic first Jurus Satu....after training in the basic form, some student go to Baih
    Hung other to Jurus Dua, no real structure based on the individual physical make up!

Guru Steeve Malette is my Instructor in Kuntao Silat

11. nat

nat New Member

That's a pretty difficult question to answer categorically, there are over 160 official systems of Silat in Indonesia, not to mention those in Malaysia etc. Each with their own techniques. One of the things that could certainly be noted is the fact that most styles of silat utilise fast and elusive footwork, which is possibly the reason why Silat is so effective.

12. Cougar_v203

well i was looking for some of the basics and the intermediates.

13. butterfly_knf

butterfly_knf New Member

It's pretty hard--

I hope it helps if I say that:
    Well, don't worry- just learn whatever you can get-
    Actually, MA develop based on your likeness towards the art.

It might be hard in finding the right places at first- but if you really like it then I'm sure you'll definitely find what you've been searching for.

It always like that.

Just remember to make peace with your mind.

14. Cougar_v203

thanks for all the help even though this topic is over a year old :p