What are some other arts that best complement JKD?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Concept Styles, Apr 7, 2006.

1. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

I went to Spain to take my mother to my Grandparents hometowns. It was an experience and I plan to continue going back. I also plan on traveling to Europe in the future with my Inayan Eskrima instructor.

2. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

would you come to england to train, or just tourist stuff. not that there is much.so would not take much of your time

3. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

I plan to travel all through Europe. My other Grandparents were from the Islands of Hvar and Vis off the coast of Croatia. I plan to go there too. I have cousins (that I haven't met) in Spain, Italy, Argentina and possibly Croatia.

I am the right time in my life that I can do these things and after you get started you want to do it again.

4. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Oh! here is a peanut? nope! it's a grape? nope! sorry about that, it's a Neb! as they say in JKD discard what is useless;)

Remember Neb, when you critise some about there spelling or grammer you have to bear in mind this "you never think of how to spell the word "Spanner" when your hitting one:eek: In otherwords, dont tell some else they are doing somethin wrong unless you are abosultely certain you have got "it" right.

So who is your instructor peanut.:D NUT'S WHOLE HAZEL NUT'S OOOOO!

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  5. cdnronin

cdnronin Valued Member

Keeping that in mind, have you ever considered why, as Bruce Lee was an associate of Ed Parker's, Dan Inosanto was an instructor for Parker, and Larry Hartsell was a major fighter for Parker, there is no Kenpo listed in the 26 arts that Bruce Lee and Dan Inosanto incorporated into the original JKD, nor is there in JKD Concepts?

6. tel

im sure that dan incorperated kempo into his early jkd

7. cdnronin

cdnronin Valued Member

How?

8. neb

neb Banned Banned

They probably didnt use any kenpo because they didnt see it as any benefit to their fighting. It's not as if they HAD to use every art they came across, just the one's with which they agreed with. Which obviously doesn't include Kenpo. :)

9. tel

your have to ask dan inosanto that one. but on his t shirts and logo, the kempo sign is there

10. cdnronin

cdnronin Valued Member

I have, also to Larry Hartsell. I am curious what people here think as to why Kenpo is not included.

11. tel

prob because guro dan does not teach it in his seninars. or doesn't state that he does anyway.

out of interest,who do you train with or do you teach?

12. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

The most obvious answer is, despite what the Kenpo community has said "after Bruces death," Bruce didn't crosstrain in Kenpo. Bruce and Ed Parker exchanged conceptual ideas.

Some of Bruces students were Ed Parkers students BUT they all "jumped ship" and did not teach Kenpo to Bruce. Bruce taught them Jun Fan Gung Fu.

Dan Inosanto, Larry Hartsell and Jerry Poteet if I'm not mistaking were Ed Parker black belts before "starting over" with the young Bruce Lee. That really tells us something of the Bruces abilities.

13. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

AJKA is right here, what he is posting is fact.......My Sifu Jerry Poteet was one of ED Parker's Black Bets........Steve Golden and Daniel Lee was also Kenpo guys........This guys had skills before they ever met Bruce Lee, I'm sure it was easyer for BL to teach them.......Back in the day ED Parker wasn't to happy his people were as AKJA said jumping boat sort of speak.........

Peace-Out!

14. tel

most of these guys where the first five students of lee.
    as you know simplicity the picture is on the opening part of poteet's video's
    inosanto was not in the pic cos he was the instructor

15. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

They were the early LA students not the first students.

16. tel

sorry i meant first LA students, not first students. my bad, soz

17. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

I knew that. ;)