What are some other arts that best complement JKD?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Concept Styles, Apr 7, 2006.

1. neb

neb Banned Banned

Which is the same for all styles.

You may not call it a style, but like it or not, the approach of 'must start with Jun Fan or anything Bruce Lee did' is very stylelised and patternted.

Some people will of course require Jun fan because they cannot grasp Bruce Lee's way of thinking any other way.

But, this does not neccessarily apply to everyone. Why should it?

To understand and apply Bruce Lee's philosophy on 'the way of the intercepting fist.' That is all the methods of JKD which he, along with his fellow martial artists, designed, such as: The 5 way attack, etc. Then of course one must learn Jun fan gung fu, as I am doing.

But, Jun fan is only one path. There are many others. Bruce Lee's point was finding your own, depedning on what you want and what suits you! Not neccessarily on what others believe.

If you want to train and fight like Bruce Lee, then of course Jun Fan gung fu and his JKD approach is what you gotta do.

But, Bruce Lee-like results don't come from the style, they come from Bruce Lee-like hours of training. And that training is going to be different for everybody, even if only slightly.

It is not your place to live up to the expectations of Bruce Lee however, or for that matter anybody else, but you.

Can I just ask an informal question, tel do you practise rapid straight punches (or the straight blast) on the spot in your training? i.e. 200 while on the spot. Or what variation do you use?

2. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Ummm so what you are essentially saying, is that if you apply the principle of X to Y, it doesn't transforms Y into X, but a Y that is influenced by X. Just like applying calculus into physics formulas to derive new equations doesn't changes physics into calculus?

3. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

i do them on pads. don't sit in the wc or bi jong stance and do them. the most i do at once is five, maybe in five groups.

before you can break free or chip away at anything then you need to have a structure to break from or the clay to chip from. jun fan is a system just like kali or kung fu.

maybe some people do. but its up to them, the design of jkd has been around along time before name was coined. but jun fan gives a good base to which you can break from,if you wish to.

no one can fight or train like lee,that was his personal way.his jkd was based on the concepts he collected. so already means that it will be different.

thats true, the more hrs the better results. and agree with the training part.
    i personally have not fell into this trap. i personally like to train privately, so can get the bits thar suit me.

ok. the point is the concepts can be applied to gung fu right. so now you are being simply in movement, more direct, using abc and abd, but expressing them through gung fu movements

4. neb

neb Banned Banned

The JKD Mind

Very well tel, now I can see your approach to JKD more clearly. Although you may be left saying "Well, there aren't any other approaches, legitimate ones anyway." I must disagree. Not necessarily because I know of them. But because they are necessary, because if they do not exist, then JKD loses all worthwhile value. With regards to spirituality anyway, and the non-contingent concept of freedom from conventional means that merely serve to demote what works for the individual.

Bruce Lee was too caught up with the wording of "style" and how it might demote what he was trying to accomplish, so much so was he bent on driving away from style, that he may have only slowed down the arts development. Because just what is "style"? A label, a product? a means to an absolute end? A package that has its principles but is always open for modification? Because you'd be hard pressed to find anything that does not fit these criteria, especially in martial arts.

Unless there is something ultimately and exclusively mental about Bruce Lee's philosophy, because mere focus on the physical will leave one with style and with no means of discovering the freedom in their expression of combat. Certainly there are people out there who know of JKD, who practise JKD, who apply JKD, and of course teach JKD. But can you honestly say that all these people are attuned to the JKD? That is, have they breached into the mentality of JKD thinking? And therefore discovered their true ignorance and value with what they are trying to punctuate into the world of the real?

Can we agree that there is a JKD mind? Which relies not on mindless followings of the set way; but on deeply personal recognition of what we are truly capable of doing, something innately apparent yet open to being tapped into when the conscious self can be removed from the equation.

Something Bruce Lee knew very little about fact-wise, but was certainly attuned towards its power.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  5. tel

have don't have the ego or stupidlyto think the way i do things is the only wasy. in fact i see people who do things much better alll the time and all ways trying new ways of training.
    there are so many ways. the inosanto way,the poteet way, the ted wong way. the neb way. its so important that there is many ways as people.

true, agree
    no not all of them.the people that teach,yeah. the people that train some and the people that know of it maybe less.

i agree with you 100% neb.

thats was a good post, made alot of sense.

6. neb

neb Banned Banned

Cool,

Now for something to break the tension a little more,

Where you train, do you ever shadowbox with dumbells? If so what weights would you usually use and what are the sort of things you do?

It's a serious burn let me tell you :D

7. tel

train with a guy called neil mcleod.don't shadow box with weights,i use the power push up ., also lot of bag work. drill work. sparring.
    what about you? what arts do you do?, who do you train under?
    what your training programme consist of?

8. neb

neb Banned Banned

A 5th kup in Take kwon do. Unfortunately the local class closed down so my training stopped - have no choice but to practise what I did learn privately now, a good few years worth of lessons though.

As for JKD, lessons will constitute alot of stamina exercises; ranging from running and shadowboxing (with weights and without) to bag work and skipping.

Focus on sensitivity drills, from chi-sao, lop-sao to bon-sao drills are strongly emphasized. We do alot of forearm partnered work which can prove a real strain on your shoulder and arm muscles.

Lately we've been introduced to alot of Filipino work (kali sticks included) ranging from disarms and footwork; alot of this syllabus comes from what Dan Inosanto teaches. Tricky stuff at first! :D

But of course all the basics are there; closing the gap, trapping, joint locks and takedowns that all flow until the job is done.

What's the power push up?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  9. tel

know what you mean with the kali, scratch my head sometimes.there is so much in the inosanto/lecoste system.
    but all the same when you break it down.
    here is a link, hard to describe, esp with my typing skills :)
    http://www.megafitness.com/power-push-up-2.html?GCID=C1766x016&keyword=Power+Push+Up+2
    really great for punching.

10. neb

neb Banned Banned

Yikes! I can see.

I'll have to try that :D

But I'd recommend practising the straight blast with 3 - 5kg weights in each hand: try it one day.

11. tel

cool, will try it

12. neb

neb Banned Banned

(gulp)

I fear for your forearms :eek:

This sort of training, and I can see the power push ups would allow the same result, help the explosivness of your attacks.

You train at Hoxton square? I was there last year at Dan Inosanto's last seminar. Lot's of fun that was, except for the trip of course, damn metric system!! Curse you underground!

13. tel

no. i train at neil's house. did spend a long time with bob breen when he was at dartford, but thats now run by the great dave birkett
    right with you on the damm train and underground, thats why i don't train there.im about half hr from brighton

14. neb

neb Banned Banned

Cool - maybe you could make it to the Seminar my teacher's running in June?

15. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

I'd like to go. Who's your instructor and where is he? :D

16. neb

neb Banned Banned

Nice try amigo.

I'll be posting the seminar's site again soon If any of you missed it.

17. tel

where are the classes held? pm me if you don't wanna post it

18. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

I missed it! I traveled to Europe last June and I plan to travel to Europe at least once a year.

19. tel

to train or teach or travel?

20. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

Now just not right.