What are some other arts that best complement JKD?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Concept Styles, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Concept Styles

Concept Styles New Member

I was wondering what other arts complement JKD? I know that Danny Inosanto has learned a mirriod of others and the late great Brandon Lee extended his knowledge of Muay Thai and he took up Yee Chuan Tao which has similiar qualities to JKD and I know that Yee Chuan Tao only has defensive moves but what others go well with it?
    Thanks!

2. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

well for me,jun fan is my base art and from there i do thai boxing (only a liitle mind you) to help with the kicking and sparring and clinch work.
    wing chun and kali really help the infighting, and csw or bjj for grappling

3. Neil.Young

Neil.Young New Member

My JKD, is very similar to Tel's.. But I'd imagine thats because we both come down the Inosanto / Academy Lineage...
    My only addition to that are Western Boxing, & a very little bit of Silat..

Just looks for arts that have similar concepts & approaches..

4. tel

yeah boxings cool,saw your intergrated arts bit. terry barnett is superb

5. Neil.Young

Neil.Young New Member

Terry, is indeed superb. A real experience being on the recieving end of a jab cross from terry.. I have had many a headache (and a broken rib) from Mr Barnett..

Tel, do you train at the Academy...?

6. tel

i used to train at the dartford academy, only go to london for seminars and the odd instructors camp's. i train with neil mcleod at his place. you?

7. Neil.Young

Neil.Young New Member

Exactly the same, Started at the Academy in `97 with Bob for a short while.. Trained after that with Terry Barnett & Russell Uttley.. Now Continue to train with terry at his place, to keep me up to speed & help with my teaching...

I've only meet Neil McCloud briefly, but have seen him in action.. again pure quality...!

8. tel

sounds cool neil.saw terry at his in dartfoed a few months back. are you going to inosanto's seminar in july?

9. Neil.Young

Neil.Young New Member

Hopefully, I will be there.. don't want to miss it again...! Terry has got an Anniversary seminar coming up, havn't got full details yet.. It's the 20th year of Integratedarts, and a special seminar with all the I.A. instructors is planned...

10. tel

no have not heard about it, do you have any details?

11. Neil.Young

Neil.Young New Member

To be Honest it was a suprise to me..! I'll be seeing terry soon, so will ask him about it then.. Just a bit of info, Terry has a new website, details of his seminars will be updated there..

As for the OP question, I've tried to stick to arts that compliment each other...example
    Wing Chun & kali.. many common priciples can be found in both arts..
    I would'nt personally choose say tae kwon Do & wing chun, not that theres anything wrong with tae kwon do. But from a structure point of view, they just don't blend...

12. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

I think the art that would complement JKD woul be dependent on the parctitioner as well.

13. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

The JKD I know, needs nothing in particular, it doen't accumulate style but discards wastless principles and methods that will get you kill in the streets. :D But I'm not a concepts man, but a principle man which I be JKD, not do JKD.......This is me and not nothing more or nothing less....attack on anyone else, to each their own.....Good Training to All Brothers and Sisters in the world!

Take It Easy,
    John McNabney

14. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Mma!!!

15. IrishStomp

IrishStomp Valued Member

Maybe brazilian jiu jitsu for groundwork. I heard bruce lee wanted to try and incorporate more muay thai into JKD towards the end of his life but died before he could.

16. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

.....and who did you hear that from?

17. tel

not sure about that either but he def looked at it on tape

18. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Wrestling, pretty much any style would really complement it. Preferably one with submissions techniques like any of the jujitsus or catch or sambo. Most of Bruce Lee's techniques were predominantly for standing striking.

19. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I thought the whole point of JKD was that you could use the methods of practically any style to compliment what you are doing?

20. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

And how does one do that??