What advantages and disadvantages does having big muscles give you in a fight??

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by *MiKe*, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Hey, Mitch, I think the closet is calling!

2. Tian-Tian

Tian-Tian Awesome 15 minutes a day.

Haha!! :D

Well... that's all boxing. And while I've been dabbling in boxing, I think I'll stay focused on TDK for now (don't want to pick up any bad habits and start taking hand-shots to the face while sparring).

Back to the muscle question (and back on topic): would someone with larger muscles be more prone to tendon injury? I would assume the strengthening process would take tendons into consideration but with my awful history of ankle problems (which I'm dealing with this morning) I'm beginning to wonder...

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

[​IMG]

Mitch

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Scott Adkins is my other name.

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Tendons and ligaments take longer than muscle to strengthen - which is why beginner rock climbers have to be really careful not to overdo it on their fingers. There is always the chance that if you've built muscle really quickly you can damage your tendons/ligaments by lifting weights that are too heavy for them to cope with.

http://beastskills.blogspot.com/2005/02/tendon-strength.html

6. Tian-Tian

Hmm! Very informative blog post! :cool: Thanks for sharing. That definitely clears things up a bit for me (and my stubborn ankle and knee). Would braces aid the joint tendons in supporting the muscle better until they are back at full 100%?

Eek, that sounds like such a noobish question... but I must know!!

In other news....
    I lol'd. :D

7. Frodocious

The problem with braces is that, after a certain point, they can actually slow down the recovery of the injury and potentially limit the strengthening of the muscles/tendons/ligaments. This is because the support they provide reduces the work the muscle, tendons and ligaments have to do to stabilise the joint.

I only wear my ankle brace on my dodgy ankle for Judo/BJJ and not for general training. I wear it for Judo and BJJ as if I catch my ankle and go over on it, it is much less stable than it used to be and really hurts, but I leave it off for general training so the ankle has the chance to do some work and strengthen up.

8. Tian-Tian

Well I wouldn't expect to do any competition TDK sparring with a brace on... or would I? :confused:

Your observation on braces possible slowing recovery down/hindering the joint is right. I guess I'll have to discover for myself what that "point" is when I can go on without the brace/ankle wrap.

9. Frodocious

Actually, taping or using a wrap type brace on an injured limb during competition is often a good idea. In competition you are likely to be pushing yourself harder than in training and therefore, potentially, be more likely to re-injure yourself.

10. Tian-Tian

So I'd be wrapping both my knees (particularly the left), both elbows, both wrists, left ankle... is it possible to wrap the shoulders, too?
    :D I just realized what a mess I am.

Okay, I've dragged this thread too far off-topic for too long and I apologize for that. :eek: Thanks for the help to those who have answered my questions!