What advantages and disadvantages does having big muscles give you in a fight??

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by *MiKe*, Feb 23, 2008.

1. *MiKe*

*MiKe* Ek = ½ m V2

jus wondering, what do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of having big muscles in a fight??

2. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Depends i suppose, just because someone has big muscles doesn’t mean they can bang, and just because someone has small muscles doesn’t mean he cant bang.

If all some dude does is sit and push heavy weights like a bodybuilder, he might be sculpting a nice body for the judges/ladies but thats about it. You have to train all areas.

But if the big muscle guy trains the right way he'll always have the advantage over the smaller fella. Hence the reason for weight categories in combat sports.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

A sport fight or a fight fight?

4. El-Guapo

El-Guapo MMA'ER

I think he means a fight fight

5. Moi

Size is everything then. Weight = power as long as you don't over do it and become so muscle bound you can't move

6. El-Guapo

El-Guapo MMA'ER

i believe that technique,speed and strength can defeat size.

7. Moi

I assumed you would already have those.

8. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Disadvantage - When you are fighting, you aren't working the m16s.

Advantage - All the chicks fancy you and want to pump you.

9. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Strength comes with size. Power is a function of weight.

10. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Advantage: If you look 'big' then you are less likely to be targeted or have a conflict escalate into a fight. Providing your size is reflected by increased strength and you can also effectively apply the added weight - it can be a big help in a fight.

Disadvantage: size can have the potential to slow you down and reduce your flexibility, can be hard to maintain (for some) and will make your heart and lungs have to work harder under pressure. Size can also make you a bigger target once you are in a fight. So far as I am aware, above 'normal' size in the long term can have an effect on your longetivity.

11. Moi

Which is why sprinters, the fastest people on earth are all built like brick outhouses.

12. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

Actually, for explosive, off-the-line speed, I have read studies when I was in college that olympic weight lifters were the fastest athletes as a group. The "disadvantages" that he posted are a myth as long as someone follows a balanced, intellegent training program that follows the natural strength curve of the body (hey, martial arts don't work either if you base it on a flawed strategy like blocking with your face and groin. It may sound stupid, but many people in lifting circles use about this much sense when they train). Increasing your lean muscle mass will not only increase your power and strength, but your speed and flexilbility as well.

I'm going to give what is becoming my standard awnser/example to the ten times a month (and twice tonight...so far) this topic comes up: look up some vids that a couple of my students put up on youtube under KJN David Hughes for a visual example of what I am talking about. Or research the different studies in ex. phys. that will tell you the same thing.

13. John Titchen

Chaps - no offence meant but please read carefully before you post.

I said it had the 'potential' to slow you down and reduce your flexibility. I didn't say it would. Yes, sprinters are well built - but not as well built as many weightlifters, gym enthusiasts or doormen. Muscle mass will work best at what you train it to do. Bulk up by all means if you want to - but bulk up with useful muscle mass rather than muscle mass for the sake of mass.

14. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

jwtitchen,
    The problem is not with our reading comprehension, it is with the fallacy of your statements. What you have said would be akin to saying that "training in TKD could be detrimental to your kicking skills." While there are some who would agree with this statement about TKD kicking and could give many examples based on sport modifications of kicks for competition (ex. cut kicks in olympic TKD) or experiences of practitioners from "McDojangs", the bias of the statement would be pretty obvious. Likewise, though you may be able to find numerous examples of people who use incorrect training methods in progressive resistance training, the fact that it has been proven for decades to promote exactly the opposite of what you are saying shows your bias and/or ignorance about the subject.

15. John Titchen

Thanks for your reply.

My bias is that I am concerned that people do things properly and thus avoid the pitfalls - which is why I mentioned the pitfalls. There are dangers inherent in unskilled and/or unsupervised training programmes.

To my knowledge, despite your statements - which include information I know of - I have not raised anything that could be classed as 'fallacy'. I think a more accurate parallel than the one you draw would be if I had said 'training in Shotokan/TKD/Aikido could be detrimental to your knee joints.'

jwt

16. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

As Incredible Bulk demonstrated so nicely here:

Nail in the coffin....

Being largely muscled does not have to hamper flexibility. Does it? Yes, if you do not work on flexibility as well as building muscle. Any one remember Van Damme? He was rather well-muscled and was quite flexible as well

[​IMG]

17. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

Ernie taylor
    Tom Platz

top bodybuilders capable of doing full splits.

anyway:

advantages:
    the 'holy crap' factor...when your facing up to the guy your about to fight and he is built like a brick outhouse and your the same weight but fatter with less muscle.
    You think 'this is going to hurt' and negative thoughts run through your head, you fight differently and more defensive as a whole.

disadvantages:
    big muscles burn more energy than smaller ones, the oxygen deficit increases during anaerobic situations and the lactic acid builds up quicker.
    Big people with more muscle gas quicker if they are not trained for endurance... i have fought big guys in MMA training and you just have to know how to wade out the storm, let them punch themselves out and then go for it.

18. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

there's a reason why lightweight fighters can keep a faster pace in the cage/ring than most heavyweights (Fedor is an exception). it takes a longer time for oxygen and other materials/nutrients to transport through a larger muscle vs a smaller one. also, smaller athletes generally (again there's exceptions, Fedor being one of them) tend to have better mechanical efficiency.

19. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Man, somebody should really write up a summary discussion why folks should lift weights. Oh... wait... that's right. ;)

"Hypertrophy, that often-dirty word, is the unfortunate victim of hurtful stereotypes; just like male ballerinas and female softball players. While the term means literally “to increase a muscle’s size”, it should not always be of last concern to martial artists. Competitive fighters who abide by weight class restrictions actually need to give this concept their full attention.

For those of us who don’t need to step into the ring or onto the mat on a regular basis, a healthy dose of muscle can help one extra board break, or make your neck just a little bit harder to choke, or help you look great in a tank top when you’re flirting with the store clerk at the Vitamin Shoppe."

Advantages
    - For most people, a larger muscle will be a stronger muscle. Stronger muscles hit harder. Hitting harder is generally preferred to the alternative.

- Capitalize on the intimidation factor. Say what you want, but most people don't want to fight dudes that look jacked. Only the baddest of the bad really aren't distracted by it, so it doesn't matter how big or strong you are, they're just nuts.

Disadvantages
    - Most people overemphasize hypertrophy training at the expense of technique, speed, flexibility, or conditioning. That's what gives hypertrophy training a bad rap. If you can avoid this asymmetrical training, there are no significant disadvantages to gaining size.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  20. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

Advantages of increasing lean muscle mass in a proportionate manner along the lines of your body's natural strength curve: greater strength, speed, explosive power and greater athletic performance. If you train properly which includes higher rep work (at high intensity) you will have the cardiovascular support for nutrient and oxygen transport (one of the advantages of BB over olympic or powerlifting). You still must do your other training though. You can't simply go to the gym and lift and ignore the other aspects of the game.

Disadvantages of developing this muscle mass: You must wok harder than most people want to (high intensity) to build said muscle; you have to eat more and better to create and support said growth (and this really can be a chore); you must keep your weight training in fairly low volume and beware of overtraining; it's hard to find clothes that fit; sparring partners are VERY hard to come by and even harder to keep; and worst of all, every quack out there wants to take a crack at your training methods and come up with some half-baked idea of why it's wrong (and try to back it up with "facts" that are so far off base that you really do pity them :rolleyes: ) in spite of the outstanding results that should be apparent ;) .