Western boxing.

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Josh_Glenn, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Josh_Glenn

Josh_Glenn Valued Member

Im a little new to this forum, but i could not find a boxing thread.

i know a lot of martial artists' kind of turn their noses up at western boxing, most likely due to the lack of kicking, grappling, throws, and other things.

I personally used to box, i dont compete anymore, but the punches have become apart of my mixed martial arts.

any views on this soon to die entertainment?

2. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

To be honest, I see a lot more respect for western boxing than ever before for most eastern practicioners in the U.S. MMA has had a lot to do with this, IMO.

I doubt it will "die" exactly but promoters have got to start doing something different if they want to compete against MMA for viewership.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I have to agree it's one of the best martial arts sports there is.

I can't see it disappearing any time soon.

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

i read a lot of stuff with people asking what art would be good for self defence and boxing is the first i throw out. I dont like watching it personally I find it boring but as an art i think its great. A boxer would be top of my list of practitioners i wouldn't want to fight

5. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Oh c'mon boxing is extremely fun!

Have you tried it at least?

6. Josh_Glenn

Josh_Glenn Valued Member

with whom are you speaking? me? yes, i loved to box. due to bone issues, and personal issues i had to stop.

7. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

No talking to Southpaw sorry mate.

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

yeah i thai box. Im not saying western boxing isn't fun, it looks it, i mean i dont enjoy watching it as uch as I enjoy mma for instance.

9. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

JKD implements alot of western boxing

10. Matt B

Matt B Valued Member

I used to have no real time for boxing. Couldnt see the point. It's only in the last 10 years (since the end of my teens) that I've started to love it. Personally i think it's one of the greatest sports there is. I think part of that reason is, and to quote a Rossboxing.com t-shirt slogan... 'no team mates; no times outs; nowhere to hide'.

11. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I love training in boxing, and enjoy watching the odd boxing match though as a specator sport I do prefer MMA.

I disagree with you that its dying, the recent fight between Antonio Margarito and Shane Mosley had over 20,000 spectators and took over 1.5M on the gate alone. The super fights still do HUGE PPV numbers. Also in the UK boxing at the grass roots level has actually become a bit more popular in recent years.

12. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

You say most martial arts turn there noses up to boxing? are you for real, most martial artists are boxing fans and anyone wanting to be a complete striker needs to do boxing training, its well respected in mma and the main striking used in the UFC if you actually look. even thai boxers like anderson silva focus more on the boxing element.

I do MMA and Boxing and love both, There is 1 simple reason why some people prefer MMA to Boxing, UFC put a lot of money and resources into making there fighters known to the target audience, TUF been the best example,

therefore its more fun watching someone that you feel you know a bit, some of the tuf fighters are poor but get people interested as there known, in the same idea you could put on world class boxing and if your not a fan you would not know the fighters, then its not too exciting, try watching mma where you dont know anybody-its boring aswell.

Same applies to football etc..if you know the people or teams its much better..

13. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

I think that is vastly over simplifying the matter. Among many other things, it neglects the simple fact that modern MMA offers a far wider range of "exciting" techinque use. In boxing you know they're gonna box. In MMA, they might kick, clinch, grapple, ground-n-pound, work subs, etc. Much greater variety.

It also ignores a very important social aspect which helped promote MMA in the early days and still has an important impact. For decades there was a pervasive sentiment among Eastern practicioners that "sport" activities, such as Wrestling and Boxing, were less effective (when effective AT ALL) than their "martial" arts. Then came UFC1 and spun that on it's ear and created a full decade, all by itself, of "sport vs art" debate. This represented a very important cultural shift and profoundly impacted the thinking of many established martial artists. Furthermore, it also provided an important decision making reference point to young people wanting to start "martial arts" but who had yet not made any sort of choice, and therefore had no emotional investment in support of any particular art. Note the date of UFC1: 1993. That is roughly a single human generation, from birth to adolescence. Kids who were born at the same time UFC was are now 14. Prime "I want to start/watch martial arts" time and, particularly for males, hormone drenched agressiveness well suited for televised MMA as an entertainment source. If Roman style gladiatorial games were legal, that would supplant MMA in viewing/entertainment popularity within a generation as well.

There are other reasons on top of these two, very important, ones, but all I'm saying is that, "MMA has better advertising than pro boxing" just doesn't really fit.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  14. Josh_Glenn

Josh_Glenn Valued Member

glad to hear thoughts on this matter! i didn't know there were so many enthused martial artists!