Well... Cotto's looking like a machine here

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Saved_in_Blood, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Predictions? I really can't pick since I don't know the true condition of Martinez' knee.

[​IMG]

2. puma

puma Valued Member

I really want Cotto to do it. Nothing against Martinez, I've just always liked Cotto. I think he can win do it too. When was the last time Martinez fought a guy with the skills of Cotto? I think if he does the hands dangling by his knees thing, (where he seems to get caught quite a lot), I think he could be in trouble. Everyone has trouble with Cotto's jab, Mayweather included. He is very clever with it, especially when he throws one short and then immediately goes long. Cotto, anywhere from rd 8 on for me. I'm feeling brave!

3. Saved_in_Blood

Roach has predicted a stoppage by rd. 4... so trust me, you're not the only one feeling brave.

4. puma

puma Valued Member

Have to say, it went pretty much as I thought it might. Didn't predict him knocking down 3 times in the 1st, but I thought he would have him down maybe in the 1st 4 rounds, and then like I said earlier, finish him off anywhere after 8. Great performance. And I don't believe Martinez knee had anything to do with it. I think he was always going to struggle with a top-notch opponent. And Mayweather should be kicking himself. Instead of farting around with Maidana, he should have fought Martinez. He would have another title at another weight, and everyone would of gone over-board on how great he was, even though it would have been relatively easy. The "risk" would actually have been no risk at all. And the PPV's would be high.

5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

6. Saved_in_Blood

I did feel bad for Sergio in a way. I am not going to blame his knee for that since he admitted that he got caught cold and just never completely recovered. However, I will say that with an injury such as his and not being able to do his roadwork and such the same way he normally would, he couldn't have been at his absolute best. Is that Cotto's fault? Not at all, and if Martinez was the type of defensive fighter that could adjust to these changes, the fight may have been different.

To Cotto's credit he has all of the things that Sergio doesn't. He has excellent footwork, cuts of the ring just as well as anyone I've seen in a very long time, he is very good defensively in that he keeps his head tucked, chin is definitely not an easy target, he has a very good amateur career, and has all of the fundamentals of boxing that Sergio does not. It's much like what happened with Roy Jones... he had that fabulous athletic advantage over everyone he ever faced.. once that started to go though, he was never really able to get it back.

Cotto is also in the minority that even suffering defeats in his career.. he has been able to recover mentally and come back. Definitely one of the best fighters of our generation. I will miss him when he decides to retire.

7. Saved_in_Blood

This is true, but we have to be fair here... Mayweather already beat the guy who just destroyed Martinez... remember that with each top notch win that any previous opponent has had his legacy still goes up. Much like how Calzaghe now looks even better in beating Hopkins, Kessler, etc.

8. puma

puma Valued Member

True. I actually heard someone, about a month ago, refer to the Cotto that Mayweather fought as "washed up." One of those idiots that claims that every fighter Floyd has ever fought was pasted their best. I thought that was funny. They also claimed the same about the at the time undefeated Ricky Hatton, and then WBC champ I believe De La Hoya. Some people, honestly.

I still don't like Calzaghe, and I made the Hopkins fight a draw. Point taken though.

9. Saved_in_Blood

There's plenty of scores we could argue about for sure, but the record books say that he beat Hopkins. I felt it was close, but Calzaghe's output alone made the difference for me. He showed that he belonged in with the elite fighters.

10. puma

puma Valued Member

Well, I can see that point of view, especially as that's the way most people saw it. I don't think Calzaghe really needed to simulate bumming him though!