Welcome to the KUK SOOL OLYMPICS

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Hyeongsa, May 11, 2010.

1. VegasMichelle

VegasMichelle Valued Member

TKD was in danger of being cut. If TKD is borderline and in danger of being cut, I have serious doubts about KS even getting a closer look. Before KS makes it in, I'd bet that wrestling gets re-instated and takes up a spot.

2. MACA

MACA Valued Member

Again, what kind of KS sport are we talking about?

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Just a friendly Mod reminder to keep this thread civil and not descend into petty bickering and name calling. Thank you! :)

4. KJMS

KJMS Valued Member

What is this world coming to? When you have a female KS practitioner proposing a male counter part to compete in a ground grappling tourney.
    Vegas,the next time you visit with some of the Suh's boys(sons) ask them who was the VERY first one who took KS into national tourney circuit.(rated circuit) not your local BS tourney.My guess is right...YOU chose ground due to lack of other M/A techniques.I'm firm on my quote that your key pad is in better shape than you.

Tell ya what..........keep running at the mouth? and YOU will have to explain to my female student as to why you bring up her Grandmaster's name.Btw,speaking of Olympics? she's no stranger to the arena.Again,I will asked that you please refrain from commenting Master Yangs names.

Vegas,all I wanted was to meet and greet, possibly share a cup of coffee.In the mean time,I will respect the owner/Mod of MAP's request above^^^^I hope that you'll be a "lady" and do the same.I will leave you with this......"Play in the grave yard late at night,you might just meet a ghost one day".

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

RLKuksoolwon, your above post reads to me like a thinly veiled threat.

Post politely or don't post. It's as simple as that.

6. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Kuk Sool will never be a mainstream Olympic sport. I think there is some confusion as to the different levels of "Olympic" competitions. We are talking about a Martial Art Olympic competition which is strictly that. I think that the Korean Government is trying to organize the event and have it sanctioned by the Olympic organization. The government is trying to shuffle through the various MA organizations and find the ones who run professionally and can support the event with a system of rules and events, they have looked closely at Kuk Sool Won because of the organizations professional system and record keeping. They are using Kuk Sool Won as a model to qualify other systems to participate. As far as how and if this will ever come to pass is anybody's guess.

Hope that helps

7. MACA

MACA Valued Member

I mean, what type of exercise are we talking about? sparring? archery? acrobatics? joint locking, what?

And I really hope KS never becomes a sport.............It might be a good biz decision for biz owners, but a horrible one for the future of the art

8. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

I know WKSA has been working on hyung competition, but I don't see why the others you mentioned couldn't be included as well.

I have no Idea what would bring you to that conclusion, but I think there is this antiquated thought process going on with ex Kuk Sool Woner's that you can't change Kuk Sool and adapt it to needs of today's MAists. I think it would bring a level of competitiveness that would help the art and show how much skill is needed to actually perform the complex techniques. So I disagree that it would diminish the art.

9. VegasMichelle

VegasMichelle Valued Member

I don't know what the bigger joke is, the content of the above post or the person writing it. There is no need to guess that what is a good tourney or a BS one. There is no need to guess who is in shape and who is not.

That's what tournaments like NAGA are for. It allows for people who really are interested in MAs to come and compete. And contrary to what you may think, there is lots of camaraderie which makes part of competing all the more fun.

You can continue to live in the past, hide behind a keyboard, drop names of Masters who are your bettors and spew thinly veiled threats if that truly makes you feel better.

10. MACA

MACA Valued Member

Well, I'm most probably wrong, but in my very simple and limited experience some of the major differences between a martial art and a martial sport. Lays in that in the art, you are focused on improving yourself for the sake of bettering yourself. In sports, the focus in on bettering to improve your chances of winning a match..........totally different focuses and objectives.........and maybe a couple of other things.......again, I can be wrong and practising Olympic TKD is the same thing as army TKD non sport TKD......... whatever......its a mute point since a KS sport is not going to happen in the short term (hopefully......only for me, the rest of the world is free to wish for whatever makes them happy).

Before I forget, I'm quite ok with KS changing and evolving.. its in reality a very young art.... less than 50 in its latest iteration (actually less...... I would say from early eighties in its latest iteration..).. so no probs on this side on evolution and change

cheers and have fun

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  11. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

I don't think it's a case of being right or wrong, and I apologize if I came off as condescending. I think that many of the same qualities of a talented MAist are the same as a talented athlete. Strength, balance, endurance, and focus to name a few. Many of the exercises done in the military have been adopted by cross fit athletes. The Olympics themselves were adopted out of warrior games designed to prove who was the strongest without having to actually kill someone.

So the point is that sports and MA can go hand in hand, and it's not as much about changing MA to a sport as much as it is about understanding that the difference is more about perception than a definitive separation to begin with.

12. MACA

MACA Valued Member

No apology necessary Jedi master.

I think that you actually hit the nail in the head with you comment.... I agree, physically a good warrior/soldier, a good martial artist and a good athlete have a lot in common, they are very fit, strong, fast reflexes, etc....But, this is only superficial... internally (mentally) they are working on very different levels (no level is superior than the other). for example, when performing an Ap Cha Gi, even though externally its the same movement, something very different is going in their minds:the soldier is thinking of his survival and how that technique will break the ribcage and allow him to survive and maybe go fight the next guy in battle. The martial artist is partially considering the same thing of the soldier but is mostly concerned with the DO (borrowed from Japan...sorry) bettering himself and finally the athlete is focused on that with a good kick he can score 2 points in his next match and in a very far second the Do thing...

same technique 3 very different mental structures, objectives, etc...... as we deleted many of the most dangerous techniques when MAs moved from the field of was to the dojo, now we are deleting many other moving to the ring....just look at a modern OTKD match, they are basically armless... now the question is, how much would KS would have to be "given up" to become a martial sport............

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm fairly sure fighters are thinking almost identically to the warrior. "If I hit him hard enough i can end it here". Or you could argue they are thinking "I'm going to hit this rib cage but if I miss he could come back, so I better not swing for it too hard this time."

14. MACA

MACA Valued Member

Well, there is a major difference from wanting to get points or knocking someone out and sincerely trying to kill or permanently incapacitate someone and then move to killing the next guy (or at least not getting killed by the next guy). Unless you think war, a shoot out, a bar fight and point sparring are the same.... again, I can be wrong...I've never gone to war so I don't really know.....

Another thing is that I don't really have much of a problem with going to a match every once in a while, a tournament, etc. no biggie there...... its always good to safely "test" your skills. My point is that when you create a martial sport, your are essentially in the long term giving up on most of the martial art part......

15. MACA

MACA Valued Member

Think in something like shooting for example...... even though you can use the same weapon (rifle, gun shotgun etc), you need very different mentality when doing some practice shooting at the range, when someone invades your home or when you are in Irak. you use the same exact techniques, the same tools, but your mentality is totally different....

Anyhow, so form competition? interesting.....

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Idon't agree,I think he mentality is always the same. The mentality is "I must succed." Same with the rifle analody "I must hit the target".

Also, point sparring is a different mentality, and i ahree there. However in a full contact situation, the mentaality doesn't change.

17. MACA

MACA Valued Member

if you say so...................

18. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

What I think your trying to convey MACA, and I don't disagree, is that the importance of the principles of a traditional MA gets lost in the desire to win a competition. The thing is that the evolution of how we compete teach and practice MA or TMA in particular is to a point out of our control. Insurance companies and lawsuits have dictated that we mello down the way we compete. In order to get more people involved in MA we need to make sure safety of the practitioner is maintained. You could say, and many do, that it is watering down the MA. IMHO in some way's that's correct, however it doesn't mean that body conditioning, strength, and stamina have to be diminished. Just because were not out there breaking noses, knocking people out, or injuring ourselves by pushing way too hard, doesn't mean we can't have good techniques and instill the principles of martial arts traditions. We can also translate those traditions to the competition if we design the competition around these concepts. Trust me when I say that we're not headed to a competition that looks anything like XMA, this will be as close to tradition as humanly possible within the safety guidelines to make it a professionally run event.

19. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

that was really well put. i am really interested in seeing how this pans out. problem is that kuk sool won is a family style, and i cannot think of too many sports that are run by one family. this was a problem in the 80's with kuk sool expanding, and will be again if it wishes to become an international even semi-open invitation competition. even with all its own money scandals, something like the kukkiwon is pretty cool because it is run by elected officials and oversees standards in performance.

20. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

This "Martial Arts Olympics" is not going to be run by WKSA, in fact it wasn't WKSA's idea, they were approached by the Korean government. It's not going to be a Kuk Sool Won event, any MA organization that meets the Government's criteria as a professional MA organization can register competitors.

Here's my disclaimer, I'm really not in the loop with every detail, I have been involved in a few conversations so take what I'm saying FWIW. Will it ever get off the ground? I think it might, if other MA organizations can or are willing to get involved, if it's just Kuk Sool Won, it's not going to happen.

I'm sure that an elected committee will govern the competition or something like that, similar to the "real" Olympics.