WEKAF Politics

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by DoceParesGuy, Nov 8, 2005.

1. DoceParesGuy

DoceParesGuy Valued Member

Not to start a flame or anything, I only want to clear up some confusion.

What's the deal with all the animosity between FMA practitioners under the WEKAF organization? I thought there was a general respect and understanding between one another, but apparently not. I've heard Pat's generalized opinion of WEKAF, which I understand completely. If it weren't for my desire to break my losing streak, I'd probably feel the same. In fact, my optimism and faith in fellow competitors tend to blind me from the unfair/unbiased decisions going on around me.

To make it just a tad more specific, I was discussing the WEKAF East Coast Regional Tournament with my instructor on the drive back this past weekend. We had just left New Jersey after having dinner with a few PIMA-Doce Pares guys. The PIMA portion of the East Coast have participated in National tournaments quite sporadically. Mainly because of their issue with the US Director, which is why they're still unsure about competing at Nationals this time around. Now, I have no specific problem with anyone, any specific region, school, etc. But now as I grow older and gain more experience [I've been competing for about 5 years now] I'm really starting to see the unfair tactics.

Now for any FMArtist who is apart of or is familiar with WEKAF, what's your take on all this?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  2. Arvino_Logarta

Arvino_Logarta Valued Member

I definitely know what you mean bro, sadly the world of FMA is full of politics especially here in the Philippines. We cant unite the masters here because eveyone wants everyone else to follow them. I wanted to compete in the SEA games but they didnt even have a national tournament to select the best to compete in the SEA games. Another sad thing is if you are a pioneer of an event or you made a program for FMA thats good others would soon copy your stuff and tell their foreign students that they themselves made it. Some of the instructors here are not even after the money, the simple fact that you recognize them for their work is enough.

I participated in a tournament 2 years ago and we got railroaded also in the scoring because the opponents coach is the head referee/ judge. I hate politics :bang:

3. DoceParesGuy

DoceParesGuy Valued Member

Yea, its really unfortunate when you give your all in a tournament and lose to a biased decision. Its happened many times before and frankly, I'm sick and tired of it. There's really not much we can do about it though; just take it, grin and bear it. Its really a shame that we can't be united under this beautiful martial art, our unity is lost through pride and bias.

I just wish that there's something we can do about it. Hey, maybe have every FMArtist join MAP, then they'll understand. ;)