Weird sword-price situation

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by cybermonk, Sep 21, 2004.

1. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

I was looking throught the broadsword section of wle.com and there is something I found very strange and I am hoping someone who is more knowledgable with weapons than me can help me out. Why is it that the Long Chuan swords like the one in this link: http://www.wle.com/products/W015HQ.html look like crap and are worth almost the same price as swords that from the looks of the pictures are of better quality like the one in this link: http://www.wle.com/products/W451.html

Is this a name tag issue or is there something I am missing?

2. Lobsang

Lobsang Guest

Beets me :confused: .

3. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

For me I would go for the second sword.

I think that Long Chuan gets used as a brand name to pump up the price. I have not been overly impressed with any of their weapons that I have seen.

When I eventually get some steel I'll try to get a Paul Chen sword (practical series) and I might get a broadsword. It would be a toss up between the Paul Chen practical one and the combat steel one. But only if I can find somewhere in britain selling the combat steel one.

4. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Thanks for the help, thats what I thought too. I need to get another sabre so I decided to give the second one a try. The "combat steel" one looks a lot better done that the Long Chuan one.

5. chris_fowler99

chris_fowler99 New Member

I have that Long Chuan Broadsword, though I only paid about $75.

It's definitely better than the "cheaper" ones, but it's also definitely not the best in the world. It feels pretty solid in your hand, but it's a bit light. The blade has a good bit of flex, but it maintains its shape.

My main complaint is the scabbard. All of the metal on the scabbard is glued on. It doesn't take long before it starts coming off. Especially the straps around the middle.

If I had known about that other broadsword at the time I definitely would have gone that direction. That one looks very nice. :cool:

6. MartialArtsSnob

MartialArtsSnob New Member

I would go with the Combat steel one. I have swords from the Long Chuan foundry that date back to the mid 1800's and they are very, very, nice. I paid $2,000 for each of two matching swords. When the government took over the foundry they started stamping out crap almost immediately. At least the combat steel one has some weight to it.