Weird day for MMA.

Discussion in 'MMA' started by LemonSloth, Feb 26, 2014.

1. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

So, checking out my Facebook feed, I see something really awesome and something almost sucky. Almost. I'm not really sure how I feel.

Awesomeness - Anderson Silva's already back in the gym punching pads. There's pics being posted of him, which is pretty epic.

Weirdness - about 45 minutes ago Nate Diaz tweeted Dana White asking to be released from his UFC contract because:

Except, as I see it, if I was going to be released from my contract I wouldn't have tweeted it. Of course I'm not Nate Diaz and that is an assumption, but - publicity stunt maybe, or genuine request?

Thoughts?

Also, why isn't anyone talking about TUF Australia Vs Canada?

2. LemonSloth

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

4. LemonSloth

It still stuns me what you can do with modern medical care these days.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If I was feeling harsh I would make th suggestion that marijuana were involved

*IF* I was feeling harsh you understand........

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Dunno if I'm surprised or not about Diaz. On one hand, I imagine Nick retiring has an effect on him and his willingness to stay in the sport. Nick has also said before that he doesn't actually like fighting that much compared to the other stuff he does and maybe Nate's the same way? That said, last I heard Nate has started training at a different camp, at least partly, and I was really optimistic that he was getting out from under his brother and that general Gracie team which seems quite...undesirable. Cesar Gracie is an idiot as a manager and possibly an idiot generally and really ever since the Condit - Nick fight the Diaz bros have looked less impressive. People have seen how to beat them and they seem to be doing it. Nate needed to get out and find a camp that'd teach him a different strategy and I was hopeful he was doing that.

It could be a publicity stunt though. But the Diaz bros are also the kind of people I expect to do that sort of thing over twitter so what do I know.

I'm not talking about that TUF because I lost track of all the nation v nation ones and I don't think I can watch it anyway. I'm far more interested in seeing BJ Penn as a coach and in trying to watch Sonnen coach again because he was awesome.

7. Ero-Sennin

Meh, it's a small thing really. It's astounding that back a few generations he could have either died or lost that entire limb, sure. If you look at it in a different light though, some of the stuff is so basic! The stuff they do to help things heal faster is pretty cool though. Imagine when we start having nano-bot technology in the future though, and mechanical organs. :p

8. Southpaw535

To be fair didn't he basically just have a cleanly broken shin bone? As bad as it was to watch I got the impression its one of the less serious injuries he could of picked up in mma compared to thing like knee injuries. Speaking of which, now I think of it Cote crippling himself against Silva might be the only other time I've seen a fighter in agony like that.

9. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Wow, does he expect to ever fight again? After seeing that footage I never thought he would be back at it.

10. Ero-Sennin

I've seen that injury a lot in a few different sports, football and American handball :)D) mostly. Tear your ACL and your career is probably over, snap your tibia in half, you'll be on med hold for a year. It's certainly a shocker to see the first time, but I think people let the shock factor fuel their woes vs. realizing the scope of the injury honestly.

11. LemonSloth

Yaaaay, then we can start "humanity first" campaign groups, discrimination based on lack of cybernetic augmentation, discrimination based on having augmentation, augmented wrestling comps...fun times :p

Last I heard, when the injury happened he was already asking when he could step back into the ring. At his age and given that injury I can't see him making a massively impressive comeback at all mind and I thought that injury would be the end of him.

But who knows? He may still have a fight or two in him.

12. LemonSloth

Pretty much. According to the on-site medic, the bone was almost bursting through the skin at the time, but that was the majority of the damage (save for general muscle/tendon aggravation that you would expect with such an injury).

Presumably if he fights again he won't be so keen on throwing low kicks, it'll be interesting to see how his fighting style adapts.

13. Grass hopper

I know if I where him I'd start practicing my jujitsu. An injury like that would probably put me entirely off kicking.

14. Ero-Sennin

were*

(damned English classes :p)

15. Grass hopper

[​IMG]

16. LemonSloth

Ha! How did I miss this?!

Well clearly as you don't have a harsh bone in your body, you would never insinuate something like that about a professional athlete :)

I'm still a little in a state of disbelief, for me it seemed just a tad out of the blue. The suggestion is circling that Nate might be aiming to get Dana to renegotiate his contract but I'm not sure how credible that idea is.

Cesar Gracie as a manager certainly didn't do Nate any favours though IMO.

That's fair enough. I'm one of those weird ones that just enjoys UFC/MMA wherever I find it. I've even got recordings of EFC Africa on my Sky box I haven't finished watching.

Which season was Sonnen coaching? I missed that one.

17. Southpaw535

He coached against Jones and he's doing a brazil one opposite Wanderlei. Supposedly they had a fight on set too.